collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need Help : Ebay abusive "import fees"  (Read 6910 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Need Help : Ebay abusive "import fees"
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2018, 10:11:51 AM »
It makes you wonder if they've had so many complaints about this that ebay's customer service have just thrown in the towel and gone...fine. Whatever. Because if it's happening with their knowledge they can do what ColdRuru said and invoice a seller for the fees later...

Sounds like this is a good seller, that they're willing to go to so much trouble. GSP is a parasite :/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Kazzellin

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
Im glad to hear this worked out for you! :)
My creativity keeps running into a lack of time and resources.  :cry:
I'm also available via twitter at @Kazzellin :)

So many projects!! What do I want to work on? :awake:

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2018, 11:00:16 AM »
Thanks you all.
And yes, I'm so lucky it's an very kind and understanding buyer, it gives me hope to bid again to the US because I was ready to forget about it. But I will double check after the GSP before and do not do the same mistake again, as I know now that it can be hiding :unsure:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2018, 01:41:50 PM »
The problem is the way ebay has it set up you either have to accept buyers from everywhere or only your country. And when opening it up to countries like Italy and Spain that have terrible postal services since when you send it with USPS they hand it over to whatever government run postal service exists in that country (and the Italian one doesn't even allow non wooden toys). At least GSP uses private carriers in countries with iffy postal services.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2018, 01:51:31 PM »
Well it's sad that Italy and Spain postal services are so bad, as they seems to be the only countries that could enjoy GSP.

But yes, I understand that ebay is doing it's best to push people to choose for their shipping service and that's not the vendor fault, but this is hard for other countries to follow on US ponies with abusive ebay import cost. I would be less mad about this idea if they at least won't do the customs in place of the real customs, breaking the under "taxable" price rules.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2018, 04:37:14 PM »
The problem is the way ebay has it set up you either have to accept buyers from everywhere or only your country.
Fundamentally incorrect. It is possible to select which countries you ship to and it doesn't have to be everywhere or nowhere. In the section where you choose shipping locations, there is an option to choose countries. And then you can select where you want to ship, omitting the others that you don't.

I don't particularly agree with that practice, but saying it's not there is misinformation. It is.

Personally, if I were Spanish or Italian I'd be offended at most of the rest of your comment. I mean, I've had the most problems personally with the USPS, particularly Chicago;s hub, which likes to send my parcels to Canada instead of to the UK (they apparently haven't learned yet that postal codes exist in other countries. Sigh). This has happened more times than I can count and adds about a week to the delivery as the poor folk in Canada have to send it back to the US to be redone. I had one pony that took six months because of the USPS. That's not normal.

And it's easy to sit there and say the GSP is great for such places, but you're talking about a service that overcharges import fees, delays delivery by about a week, which repackages items to damage them and doesn't even require a signature. I am not sure that really sounds better.

Within the EU I don't think Spain and Italy have that many problems, anyway. I don't know what it's like for countries outside (maybe soon we'll find out), but I think it's wrong to assume that the GSP is better. I bought a pony from Spain recently and Royal Mail's tracking was dead to the world, but the Spanish site gave me tracking all the way through, so I knew where it was.

And let's not pretend Royal Mail are angels, since they can occasionally send a package to the wrong continent or make a 2 day delivery package within the same country take 2 weeks for no reason.

My point is all postal systems have twitches. And even though they do, it's not always the case that couriers are a better option. I would certainly rather have my parcels delivered to me, not abandoned under a bush.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 04:53:51 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2018, 12:23:23 AM »
The problem is the way ebay has it set up you either have to accept buyers from everywhere or only your country.
Fundamentally incorrect. It is possible to select which countries you ship to and it doesn't have to be everywhere or nowhere. In the section where you choose shipping locations, there is an option to choose countries. And then you can select where you want to ship, omitting the others that you don't.

I don't particularly agree with that practice, but saying it's not there is misinformation. It is.

Personally, if I were Spanish or Italian I'd be offended at most of the rest of your comment. I mean, I've had the most problems personally with the USPS, particularly Chicago;s hub, which likes to send my parcels to Canada instead of to the UK (they apparently haven't learned yet that postal codes exist in other countries. Sigh). This has happened more times than I can count and adds about a week to the delivery as the poor folk in Canada have to send it back to the US to be redone. I had one pony that took six months because of the USPS. That's not normal.

And it's easy to sit there and say the GSP is great for such places, but you're talking about a service that overcharges import fees, delays delivery by about a week, which repackages items to damage them and doesn't even require a signature. I am not sure that really sounds better.

Within the EU I don't think Spain and Italy have that many problems, anyway. I don't know what it's like for countries outside (maybe soon we'll find out), but I think it's wrong to assume that the GSP is better. I bought a pony from Spain recently and Royal Mail's tracking was dead to the world, but the Spanish site gave me tracking all the way through, so I knew where it was.

Afaik when I list things in the mobile browser I don't have that option. The first time I listed using GSP I didn't even intend to ship internationally at all.

While I'm not sure on the postal rules in Spain I do know in Italy they don't even allow plastic toys like dolls and ponies. There was a big to do about it on this very site.

I am annoyed that they repackage things since it's entirely unnecessary. The program itself is a good idea I just wish they would work on the issues they have to make it better.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 06:40:08 AM »
It's possible to block bids from certain countries (I block Italian bidders because, like you said, technically it's illegal to send plastic toys to them internationally), but it's a big pain in the butt to find the page for it.  And I imagine it would be even more difficult to find on mobile.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 07:46:29 AM »

Personally, if I were Spanish or Italian I'd be offended at most of the rest of your comment. I mean, I've had the most problems personally with the USPS, particularly Chicago;s hub, which likes to send my parcels to Canada instead of to the UK (they apparently haven't learned yet that postal codes exist in other countries. Sigh).

Via normal browser here is the options we have these options to ship:
N. and S. America / Canada / Mexico / Brazil / Europe / United Kingdom / Germany / France / Russian Federation / Asia / China / Japan / Australia

(This is also on mobile but it was REALLY hard for me to find, and really not easy to set as you have to get through multiple selections for it to finally show up).

I don't know anything about Spain's postal service.
But the whole USA to Italy bad postal service thing has a lot of stories behind it. And for a platform like eBay, it's not worth the risk for most sellers. It's not about slow service, it's about packages disappearing.

I've been told by Italians to not ship first class to them due to the risk. So take that into consideration too. :/
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:05:20 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 08:45:30 AM »
Actually, you can exclude any country you don't want to ship to, and you can find it within literally 2 seconds of opening up a sale listing because I just did it :P

Options where to ship to, but the above dropdown allows you to select Worldwide as well.

Options to exclude countries, with the option to break down into continents to find individual countries.

So yes it is possible to exclude locations. No it is not hard to locate.

I know that Italian post has a reputation ,but I also know that Italian people are well used to dealing with it. And as I said, experiences from inside the EU, where custom restrictions do not exist, are different from outside.

As for the ebay options thing, if it's too much hassle to bother reading a whole page to check your options or ticking boxes to sort out your preferences, I kind of wonder about whether it's too much hassle to be selling an item. I feel like customer service has died a little with the convenience of mobile listing quick ebay, and the GSP is basically a result of that. People want more money, but want other people to shoulder the burden, cost and risk. The concept of GSP was born out of a culture of people not wanting to bother ticking boxes and calculating shipping...but still wanting to take the money of people overseas. And of course, ebay exploit that because they want higher prices so they get more fees.

It's not a surprise to me that the GSP is rampant in the US and the UK, the two countries (one of which being mine) where sellers are most likely to only ship within their own borders. This in spite of the fact many European sellers ship internationally and use multiple languages to do so. Given the amount of trouble that European sellers often go to to help us out and speak our language, I just think it's rude to sweepingly generalise about their postal systems, not least because I suspect that probably the language barrier means most people here haven't spent a long time exploring their site or the options they offer. It's not good to knock something without doing the actual research first. There are bad sellers and problems in every place, but it's not a reason to blacklist a whole country. Even given that Italy is something of an exception, it doesn't mean every transaction fails.

I am old school, but I also think it's a lot less hassle to list and ship and visit a post office than it is to trust a parcel to a random repacking facility who may wreck it and then give me a buyer who's unhappy and ranting about it over my message system. True, GSP should NOT be defaulted into people's accounts, they should have the right to choose to use it. But if more people shipped worldwide as standard, then there wouldn't be any need for a GSP to exist.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 08:55:13 AM »

But the whole USA to Italy bad postal service thing has a lot of stories behind it. And for a platform like eBay, it's not worth the risk for most sellers. It's not about slow service, it's about packages disappearing.

I've been told by Italians to not ship first class to them due to the risk. So take that into consideration too. :/

Yeah, Italy has a terrible postal system.  It is what it is.  I would sell to Italy on eBay IF sellers weren't responsible for packages lost in the mail.  But they are.  I do sell to Italy on other venues (like the Arena or TP) as long as the buyer agrees, in writing, that I am not financially responsible for lost items.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2018, 08:55:45 AM »
@Taffeta
Oh I was trying to say i agreed with you it wasn't domestic OR worldwide. I did forget about exclude list. I REMEMBERED the exclusions in the past, but it didn't stick out to me when I did it just a few seconds ago. *shrug* I don't offer international shipping anymore because people don't want to pay priority for the items I list.

But to be honest, on mobile, it was REALLY hard to get to the countries you ship to. I'm trying to do it again and I can only get it to toggle GSP on and off-- and I CAN'T find the selection screen for the countries-- that I just saw 30 minutes ago.
I'm gonna keep playing with it...

ETA:
Playing with it.
Spoiler
There's a selection where it says international shipping.
You click it-- and it automatically selects GSP. Nothing else. From the looks of it -- there doesn't look to be anything else you can select.

But if you tap GSP, you can find you see that you can select international first class / priority / etc.

I clicked first class and it took me out of that screen.

There isn't anything that is showing up about countries.

I see something called international destination, and I can choose worldwide or canada-- what the heck because I saw the options for the other areas before

My conclusion is it's a really bad interface and they are trying to discourage people from making those selections.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:06:57 AM by banditpony »

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2018, 06:22:13 PM »
That Global Shipping program is such a rip off.  It makes it so expensive to purchase and like you're seeing, it charges duties on items where there shouldn't have been duty.  I'm cool with paying duty when I'm actually required by law but now by this sketchy program where the buyer and the seller are penalized: buyer by being grossly over charged and sellers by losing sales.

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »
I think ebay would tell you to pay with Paypal because they are practically the same thing. From what I remember Paypal is owned by ebay.
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2018, 09:52:22 AM »
From what I remember Paypal is owned by ebay.

Not anymore. And eBay is going with a different platform (Ayden) for their main payment processor by 2020. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal