collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Need Help : Ebay abusive "import fees"  (Read 6907 times)

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Need Help : Ebay abusive "import fees"
« on: April 04, 2018, 11:05:44 PM »
Hi!
I've bid on two ponies from an US vendor and when I asked for combined postage, the vendor let me know that he cannot do it as they was "import charge" from ebay global shipping program. I take a look, as THIS WASN'T notified on the add when I bid (or I wouldn't have do it) and they ask me $18 import charge plus double shipping price.
I explained to the vendor I'm not OK with it as I'm under $100 of pony value and it mean no custom, so I don't see why I would pay to ebay their abusive charge plus too much on shipping.
I've asked if we can set payment off ebay via paypal (so we are protected) and if I can pay normal shipping price and he sent me the items via regular mail.
But I'm affraid he said no, at it can sound fishy? I've explained the whole thing clearly and my usual experience with US.
What should I do? I don't want to cancel but I don't want to pay abusive and unjustified fees.
Thanks for you help.

[moving to TS ~Kiwi]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 08:36:06 AM by Kiwi »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Need Help : Ebay abusive "import fees"
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 12:57:56 AM »
Unfortunately this is how the Global Shipping Program works. I don't know whether the seller is even aware of all these charges because as far as I understand it, they've just listed the auction and it's either automatically (or it sounds like, deliberately) defaulted to the system whereby they send the parcel to the Global Shipping Centre in Kentucky for dispatch overseas.

This is one of my main bugbears with the GSP. You're absolutely right about the fees being 'abusive' as you put them. I don't know what import duty is like for you as a rule, but there have been several ponies I haven't bid on over the last couple of years because the projected import duty being estimated by the website are up to 3x as much as the actual fees charged at the border would be.

Add to this the fact they repackage at Kentucky to make the parcel as cheap for them as possible, then it's really clear that all ebay see in this is a chance to make more profit out of international buyers. Their repacking often means removing packaging material that protects items. And finally, Ebay don't actually care if the item is delivered to a person. I asked them about this once after the courier left a package under a bush in the rain, and they basically said it wasn't their problem as as far as they were concerned it had been delivered, even if not signed for.

I think it's also true that combined shipping cannot be done with the GSP. I did hear of someone managing to get it once, but I don't know how it works and I've never managed to. So if a seller is using the Global Shipping, expect to pay separately for all of the items and then the additional custom charge set by ebay on each of them as well as the postage.

It's a disgusting system. If your seller was willing to negotiate around it, then you might be in luck, but it doesn't sound as though he is. Unfortunately Ebay will just tell you that those are justified charges with their system. Your only choices really are to pay the amounts or ask the seller to cancel and relist :/

I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this. Ebay became a lot less pleasant for international buying when they started using this system.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 01:53:17 AM »
I agree with you Taffeta,
The problem is that I know it's not the seller fault BUT I wouldn't have bid if I knew.

Things it's NOT notified on the listing that it will be shipped via the Ebay Global Shipping, it was just written " International Priority Shipping" It's when I came to cheeck out & pay that the charges did appears.
I NEVER EVER buy or bid if I see this program. That's why I'm angry it popped after I won the items :cry:
Because now I want them but I do not want to let ebay stole my money :mad:

Thanks for your reply, I hope the seller will let me pay out of ebay.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 02:05:27 AM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 02:06:16 AM »
It's really misleading sometimes. I've seen the same on auctions. I tend to look out for "No import duties on delivery!" as a red flag for GSP flying under the radar. It sucks and I totally sympathise with your feelings. I've seen ponies that might cost £20 to import to the UK normally with estimate import duty prices of £100 before now, so the whole system sucks.

Good luck with your seller. Maybe someone in the US from here might help you if there's no other option, and get the seller to ship to them and then they ship to you.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 02:16:59 AM »
I would be curious to know how they calculate their "charge" because none of the ponies I bid for, separately or combined values are enough to me to pay any custom. If now each time when a pony cost $10 or $20 we have to pay more $5 or $10 fees, it become complety out of control :lookround:
I never tryied to avoid the customs, it happened to me and I did pay like everyone, but it was for values that are taxable.

So yes I hope to find a way, I'm waiting of reply but I thinks it's gonna be for tonight as the seller must sleep now.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 05:46:36 AM »
The Global Shipping Program is awful and benefits only Ebay.  I've had items sent well packaged only to have them remove all the protective wrap and have the item arrive broken.  A literal handful of foam peanuts in a box too big for the item! The seller gets to keep their money and the buyer gets a refund but that's one less vintage item in the world.  Occasionally I would ask sellers to consider changing their auction and sending it themselves.  50% refuse and the other 50% say they will but are unable to.  It use to be that you couldn't change the auction after a bid but I suspect that even that isn't possible now.  There is no combining packages for multiple purchases and they sneakily make it the default a lot of the time.

On top of that, I recently relented and bought an item through the program.  Of course it arrived damaged.  I bought a MIB item and whilst it did have minor damage on the listing, it was much worse on arrival.  I don't even know how it could have been ripped the way it was.  Ebay tried to debate that I paid for the item in the box and not the box itself so it wasn't damaged.  I informed them that I bought both in the listing and the condition of both were in the auction description, thus I paid for both things.  They said I had to get a partial or full refund from the seller directly.  The seller did give me $5 off the price I paid but also told me it should have been covered by the program.  So now the one positive of the program, taking the fall for damage, isn't even available.

It's absurd.  Utterly absurd.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 05:51:01 AM »
How awfull, I'm sorry for you. I wonder if sending your replies would help seller not to choose this ugly program!

I just cleaned my list of "watched item" from all those who smelled "the program" and I feel like after amazon, I'm gonna boycott ebay :cry:
And I'm waiting the reply from my seller, but I'm pretty sure it's a lost cause as you said... Finger crossed.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2018, 06:06:45 AM »
I flat refuse to buy anything MIP through the GSP. Which is a loss for the sellers using it, because basically that means there are a good number of MIP ponies I would have bought if they had had proper shipping options, but didn't, because of GSP. And many of them never sold.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2018, 06:13:09 AM »
I just want to note...

Regardless of the global shipping program, sellers aren't required to combine shipping... So you should always ask your seller before you bid if they combine, if it isn't written in their listing.

It is also against eBay's TOS to make any payments outside of eBay. YOU could get in trouble for asking that.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »
What ponies were you hoping to get?  I have many doubles, maybe i can help out.  As for GSP, they are responsible for the only package I did not receive out of all of the stuff I have bought overseas.  MIB perfume puff playset thing; I think perfume is one of those no-no items for shipping and so they saw the box perfume puff and bam, done with it.  Seller was refunded, I was refunded, and a MIB mlp item was lost to GSP 

:enraged:
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 06:53:29 AM »
I would suggest asking the seller to cancel your bid and relist with shipping that isn't under the GSP.

Note that eBay automatically signs sellers up for it, and they may not know how to turn it off.  So you may have to walk them through the steps.  Assuming they are even willing.

If they aren't willing, I would just ask them to outright cancel the bid and skip out on the items.  I'm sure they will pop up elsewhere sooner or later.

Unfortunately it is true that the GSP does not allow sellers to combine shipping, and also that the seller has no control over the postage / fees.  As far as I know the seller is not even shown your shipping amount, they are simply given enough postage (by eBay) to ship the item to a domestic Pitney-Bowes center.  Pitney-Bowes is the one who is both setting and getting the full shipping money.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:08:09 AM »
everyone has provided some great advice here.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 07:31:59 AM »
Well the vendor replyied to me and is okay to sent out of the program, the problem is that ebay don't let us getting rid of it.
I'm relieved this is a kind person who take a little time to help with my problem.

Also, you're right, I should have asked for the combined postage BUT to be honest, I always got them automatically without asking before I bid on an add from the program :blush:
Thanks a lot to all of you for your advice and kind words!

PS: I've contacted ebay directly and they suggested themselve for me to ask to pay out of ebay with paypal, then to let the vendor mark all as paid... so if it's ebay customer service who tells it, I'm not gonna be in trouble no??
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 08:06:18 AM by ColdRuru »

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2018, 08:23:33 AM »
PS: I've contacted ebay directly and they suggested themselve for me to ask to pay out of ebay with paypal, then to let the vendor mark all as paid... so if it's ebay customer service who tells it, I'm not gonna be in trouble no??

I have a hard time imagining eBay would suggest you pay outside of eBay, that means they wouldn't get their fees. That isn't saying they didn't suggest it but that is bizzare.

It is up to the seller to report a buyer. Here is a link about reporting:
https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/resolving-buyer-issues/reporting-issue-buyer?id=4084

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline ColdRuru

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2018, 08:29:07 AM »
Well, I explained the vendor about what ebay custom service said to me and she/he (?) phoned to ask too and sent me a mail to said they confirmed it was fine in our case. So I'm waiting for my invoice.
I imagine they should have their fees when the vendor will connect the invoice to ebay to mark it as paid :biggrin:

Blog / Facebook Page

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal