collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Slugger

have him
21 (53.8%)
want him
12 (30.8%)
army
1 (2.6%)
I'll pass today
5 (12.8%)
new to me
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Voting closed: April 08, 2018, 09:28:54 AM

Author Topic: POTD 4/3/18 Slugger  (Read 3792 times)

Offline pikkupapupata

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 4/3/18 Slugger
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2018, 02:36:03 PM »
I'm not one for sports really, but I do like his colours, and I like the Big Brothers in general. I have only two at the moment. Need more!!  :grouphug:

On a side note, I think it would have been cool too if Hasbro had made more of them, or had more regional varieties. For example, (keeping with the sports theme) a Big Brother for ice hockey, perhaps one for soccer/football, a rugby one, a volleyball one, curling, skiing, archery, windsurfing, kitesurfing, and so on. They wouldn't have had to be all Big Brothers either; they could have done sports-themed ponies in general, or Olympics ponies or something. Or sports/activity duos, like you could get two for the same sport/activity, one Big Brother, and one regular. It all feels kind of like a missed opportunity, now that I think about it.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »
I'm not one for sports really, but I do like his colours, and I like the Big Brothers in general. I have only two at the moment. Need more!!  :grouphug:

On a side note, I think it would have been cool too if Hasbro had made more of them, or had more regional varieties. For example, (keeping with the sports theme) a Big Brother for ice hockey, perhaps one for soccer/football, a rugby one, a volleyball one, curling, skiing, archery, windsurfing, kitesurfing, and so on. They wouldn't have had to be all Big Brothers either; they could have done sports-themed ponies in general, or Olympics ponies or something. Or sports/activity duos, like you could get two for the same sport/activity, one Big Brother, and one regular. It all feels kind of like a missed opportunity, now that I think about it.

Soccer-Ace
Volleyball?-Sports Time
Skiing-G3 Chilly Breezes
Wind surfing-G3 Baby Surfstar
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline princess

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
Not a fan of his CM but I do enjoy his softness and his curly curly hair. 

I've got one completely one that I love + one bald one Im not sure what to do with but he's still valid.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 03:01:55 PM »

Out of curiosity who do you still need?

Off the top of my head, this dude, 4-Speed (Trucker) and Tex... who I did have once... but stupid me sold him  :facepalm:  Also Salty... my fella has a hair cut and I can't handle, lol!!!  :P

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »

Soccer-Ace
Volleyball?-Sports Time
Skiing-G3 Chilly Breezes
Wind surfing-G3 Baby Surfstar

Ooooo I wasn't aware of Ace (never saw that show) but it looks like there wasn't a toy made of him? And I've seen Sports Time, I just forgot about him. :crazy: I also don't know much about the other generations, only the first, so thanks for pointing out those two. It would just be cool to have even more G1 ponies available to collect, especially with a theme that has so much potential.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 03:21:33 PM »
Yeah, sadly Ace, Lancer and Teddy never got made :(

I have this POTD. I hate that name. I realise the UK name is cause for great amusement in the US, but I'm still going to stick to it because I refuse to have a pony whose name sounds like insect repellant.
Spoiler

This is from Tug's backcard but it's a nice group picture of the boys with the UK names. I don't have his UK story, but I know a couple of people here have him MOC on UK card so maybe do. :)

I never had any of this set as a kid - I only had Mountain Boys, but I think as an adult he's become one of my favourites. Maybe Somnambula's cute scenes helped with that, I'm not sure. I do like Somnambula even if some of the voices/accents are excruciating.

Yes, mine wears his hat that way. I like to see his face, and he likes to see ahead :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 03:32:17 PM »

I have this POTD. I hate that name. I realise the UK name is cause for great amusement in the US, but I'm still going to stick to it because I refuse to have a pony whose name sounds like insect repellant.
Spoiler

This is from Tug's backcard but it's a nice group picture of the boys with the UK names. I don't have his UK story, but I know a couple of people here have him MOC on UK card so maybe do. :)

I never had any of this set as a kid - I only had Mountain Boys, but I think as an adult he's become one of my favourites. Maybe Somnambula's cute scenes helped with that, I'm not sure. I do like Somnambula even if some of the voices/accents are excruciating.

Yes, mine wears his hat that way. I like to see his face, and he likes to see ahead :)

I like Trucker better than 4 Speed, I'm indifferent about Tug and Tracks, but First Base would make me laugh too much, seeing as bases are used to refer to kissing and such in a new relationship.

I wish the MLP Tales boys were made. Maybe HQG1C will make them eventually, under different names if necessary.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 04:10:56 PM »
He's not my favorite, but I would gladly have him in my herd :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
Hmm I wonder why they never made those...

I didn't even know that they had alternate names in the UK! XD I feel like those make more sense to me, actually. Not sure how to explain it, but they do. Except for Salty/Tug; I like both.

I might be in the minority about the name First Base; I only think of baseball. Never really fully understood the base system in slang (like, the appeal in using it), and never really cared for it, so I never put much effort into having it as part of my lexicon. Oh well!  :rolleyes:

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2018, 04:30:24 PM »
Got them. Only BB I don't have is Wigwam.

elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »
The slang is known here, because we have so much US TV, but it's not really cultural for that context here and especially not back in the eighties. Nor is baseball, actually, but we have rounders which kids have to learn in school (ugh) so it's close enough to relate. This set are very American in their sports and themes, and I'm sure that's why they were delayed a year here and we got the Mountain Boys first instead. Then when we did get them, they made some name tweaks.

A lot of ponies have alternate names in the UK, which means a lot of the repeated names in the US are not repeated in the UK (one exception, though there are some which weren't sold here at all)

To me a steamer is a type of boat (ie paddle steamer), I don't know if that's transferable in the US but to begin with I used to get confused by the US name Steamer and think it meant Tug because of that ;) You can slug a ball in British English, but I think we'd be less likely to consider 'slugger' in that context. It always makes me think of slug pellets anyway.

Salty is fine as a name but there's also a Baby Sea Pony with it so to me that's her name and Tug is Tug. 4Speed is one of the silliest names for a pony as it's only half word. Trucker is pretty nondescript but at least it is entirely letters ;) I know what 4Speed means, but it wouldn't compute here. Although I do wonder a bit about Trucker, too, as we tend to say lorry rather than truck, and things that the US use trucks for, like fire truck, we don't...trucks tend to be attached to trains carrying goods rather than on the roads.

It's a minefield. O.o.

So yeah, back to First Base :) In a sense, even in the slang meaning, given his flirtations with Buttons, it probably should make sense in the US context as well :)

(There are also plenty of names of ponies in the US that cause a bit of humour in other places, like Crumpet, and of course, the infamous Kiwi Tart from G3 xD)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 04:36:09 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »

Spoiler

Insect repellent??

Well yeah, he needs to be able to see otherwise the ball might hit him. Baseballs freaking hurt.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2018, 04:47:56 PM »
It sounds like slug killer to me. Although actually when I googled, I discovered this:
https://www.adama.com/australia/en/crop-protection/other/slugger-slug-and-snail.html

So I guess he really is slug killer o.O.

Sticking to First Base ;)

(And yes I know technically a slug isn't an insect xD)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2018, 04:49:19 PM »
It sounds like slug killer to me. Although actually when I googled, I discovered this:
https://www.adama.com/australia/en/crop-protection/other/slugger-slug-and-snail.html

So I guess he really is slug killer o.O.

Sticking to First Base ;)

(And yes I know technically a slug isn't an insect xD)

Ohh. They're categorized under the section of creepies and crawlies, ergo, they're bugs.  :lol:

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 04:54:48 PM »
Thanks for the name info, Taffeta. I wonder how some names do change context in other languages!
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal