Pony Talk > Off Topic

Goofy animal storys

(1/4) > >>

True:
So oddly enough this story will not be about one of my cats. However I doubt it would be hard to remember a goofy story as Pixel does something silly almost daily.

BUT This story is about my hermit crabs. I have three known as Atlas, Hercules, and Orion. I guess I love the idea of tiny lil critters having big sounding names. Iv had them for about 2-3 years now and each of them do indeed have their own personality's and hobbies. I keep them in a big 50gal tank full of places for them to explore. Atlas loves to travel and climb, Ill often find him inexplicably latched onto some area of the tank that I had no idea was even accessible to him. Orion is kinda the literal hermit crab, he stays in the dark areas and just kinda minds his own business. Hercules has attachment issues and refuses to move out of his much too tiny shell! Which brings us to todays story!

Today I decided to move the tank, all three were out in the open and accounted for so I knew it was safe, Its really not safe to change substrate or anything if one might be molting as it can kill them. I really needed to relocate the tank to a better area, because I was having a lot of trouble maintaining humidity where it was, but moving it means unloading 150lbs of sand and sub xD so its a bit of a process! I put all three crabs in a bin and just put the whole collection of spare shells in with them, then went to work. Fast forward 2 hours, and I've got their new place all set up and fresh for them. I start to put them in and WHO do you think decided to start exploring new shells?

Yep Hercules decided that this exact moment was going to be the time to start trying on shells.. So now they have a fresh new pad but they have to just hang out in a bin for a while so as not to disturb him while he "hopefully" actually moves in and stays in a shell thats bigger than the one he leaves. rofl Hercules is sorta known for his shell attachment.. When I bought him he was in a painted shell and I desperately wanted it OUT of the tank and away from the other crabs but he hung onto it for a year.

Have your pets done anything thats goofy lately? I thought this might be a fun thread to read. I love animals doing weird or silly things!

kellyponyfeathers:
I really love it when small animals like that, which are often viewed as unintelligent and boring, show that they have personalities too. And I love it when people take the time and care to appreciate them. 
 :lovey:
I'll try to write one or two of my own later.

Tulips:
That is such an adorable story! I've always wondered about hermit crabs as pets, I've heard they're full or personality and yours sound like quite the characters lol. ^.^

I can provide quirky cat stories galore, they're all I post about on Facebook, but I'll restrain myself. I have three rescue girls called Shenanigans, Calamity (sisters) and Pandemonium (adopted sister), and they sure do live up to their names - plus they have serious tortitude (all three being Tortoiseshells).

Calamity is our most playful cat, she has a toy mouse that was once stuffed with catnip but has since been disemboweled. Her favourite thing to do with Riffraff (the mouse toy) is to dangle it over the edge of the stairs and drop him to the floor below, then race down to fetch him so she can do it again. She's the only one who plays with Riffraff, occasionally Shenanigans will pick it up but I've seen Calamity slap her in the face for it lol. She also loves laundry baskets, if I put a leaf of catnip in the basket she loses her head and starts spinning around like a breakdancer.

Emberfly:
What a great thead. :)

My old hamster, Lewis, used to have a favourite wood chew toy.  I don't think he ever chewed it but it always ended up in his hideout no matter where I moved it to after cleaning his cage.  He was also weird in that he never came out if the lights were on.  It was a treat when occasionally I'd call to him when I'd leave in the morning and he'd pop his head out for a minute as if to say goodbye.

Shaz:
Animals are so amazing, I love hearing what people's pets get up to. The hermit crabs sound awesome.

I can happily talk for hours about the various adventures and cute habits of my cat Garfield. He's going to be ten years old this month, but he still thinks he's a playful little kitten! He's also extremely inquisitive and especially loves looking in and/or climbing into cupboards and other unlikely hidey-holes.

The other day, he discovered the tap in the bathroom sink. He watched the water running, then reached out with his right paw and put it under the water. Oh noes!! The paw got wet!! Cue shaking of paw and horrified cat. Minutes passed. Then he reached out and put his left paw under the water. Shock horror! That one got wet too! Well, he wasn't going to be caught out a third time. Clearly under the tap was no place for paws. He watched the water carefully, then leaned forward and put his nose under it....oh my goodness, this water has no respect for the sacredness of the feline nose! The nose is wet, the nose is wet! Cue shaking of face, rubbing with paw, and exiting the bathroom. That is it, this cat is never playing with the tap again....well, at least not until tomorrow  :lol:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version