collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is NBBE Half-Note rare?  (Read 884 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Is NBBE Half-Note rare?
« on: April 01, 2018, 12:11:15 PM »
Is it hard to find the non BBE version of Baby Half-Note please? She was always one of my favorite baby ponies on the show. :)
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Is NBBE Half-Note rare?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 12:13:12 PM »
IIRC I went to eBay.uk for mine, since she wasn't released in the US (except the hard to find mail order one).  I think I only paid a few dollars / pounds for her, but of course shipping was quite expensive.

There are two versions of her, one with purple eyes and one with teal / turquoise eyes. :)  Very pretty!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 12:32:19 PM »
IIRC I went to eBay.uk for mine, since she wasn't released in the US (except the hard to find mail order one).  I think I only paid a few dollars / pounds for her, but of course shipping was quite expensive.

There are two versions of her, one with purple eyes and one with teal / turquoise eyes. :)  Very pretty!

Ooh! I didn't know that about the eyes. Thank you LM and Happy Easter Fool's! :hug:

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

So she was released in the UK and in the US as a mail order. Is there a way to tell them apart? Is that where the eye color comes into play?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 03:11:36 PM »
I believe both my teal eyed and purple eyed ones came from the UK.

There might be differences by country but I've never owned the US mail order so I'm not positive.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »
My childhood pony was the regular eyed one with aqua eyes and I inherited the purple eyed one from my friend when she gave me her ponies, so both were available here. Here they are, with some comparisons that show it's not just about the eyes but the type of hair and so on as well.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

. I also inherited Alex's accessories which were the alternative colour accessories in places (eg ballet box) although I didn't get any of her playsets. I had a pink ballet box with my set, and she had a yellow one with hers. I think I gave them to my sister for her second hand one that had no accessories. In any case, it feels like these were two separate releases in the UK. So the regular eyed one was out probably for more than one year.

We had the BBE baby in the UK definitely through horseshoe points offer with the school of dance as late as about 1989 when Magical Breeze was also offered. It might have gone on even later than that. I am pretty sure it was also available in stores here and was the original release. I didn't get my Dance School till about 1987.

My theory is that the regular eyed Baby Half Notes are Mail Order babies left over and put in UK Dance Schools or were produced alongside the MO ones because it was cheaper for Hasbro UK to do that. So my theory is that the regular eyed ones may be the same as the MO. But I have never seen a MO one to verify. She doesn't seem very common in the US so I have to wonder if the vast majority of the ponies that were produced for the US MO market ultimately ended up in UK Dance Schools. We liked to keep playsets going in stores for years...and years...so it's more than possible.

So in the US, she seems rare. In the UK she's probably about average for a Baby Pony coming with a re-released playset that continued for several years. I just had a look on ebay UK and there are a few listed, but unfortunately also a few listed as MO so therefore more expensive.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:32:56 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2018, 03:45:09 PM »
My childhood pony was the regular eyed one with aqua eyes and I inherited the purple eyed one from my friend when she gave me her ponies, so both were available here. Here they are, with some comparisons that show it's not just about the eyes but the type of hair and so on as well.

. I also inherited Alex's accessories which were the alternative colour accessories in places (eg ballet box) although I didn't get any of her playsets. I had a pink ballet box with my set, and she had a yellow one with hers. I think I gave them to my sister for her second hand one that had no accessories. In any case, it feels like these were two separate releases in the UK. So the regular eyed one was out probably for more than one year.

We had the BBE baby in the UK definitely through horseshoe points offer with the school of dance as late as about 1989 when Magical Breeze was also offered. It might have gone on even later than that. I am pretty sure it was also available in stores here and was the original release. I didn't get my Dance School till about 1987.

My theory is that the regular eyed Baby Half Notes are Mail Order babies left over and put in UK Dance Schools or were produced alongside the MO ones because it was cheaper for Hasbro UK to do that. So my theory is that the regular eyed ones may be the same as the MO. But I have never seen a MO one to verify. She doesn't seem very common in the US so I have to wonder if the vast majority of the ponies that were produced for the US MO market ultimately ended up in UK Dance Schools. We liked to keep playsets going in stores for years...and years...so it's more than possible.

So in the US, she seems rare. In the UK she's probably about average for a Baby Pony coming with a re-released playset that continued for several years. I just had a look on ebay UK and there are a few listed, but unfortunately also a few listed as MO so therefore more expensive.

Your girls are really cute. :good: Lucky Taf.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 03:46:28 PM »
I guess it's easy to take for granted what's right in front of you :)

I'll look out for her at the next toy fair, just in case she comes up there if you like. She *isn't* that rare here, albeit not as common as Peachy or Lemon Drop, but when people catch on that she's harder to find in the US they like to jump up the price.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2018, 08:53:00 PM »
I guess it's easy to take for granted what's right in front of you :)

I'll look out for her at the next toy fair, just in case she comes up there if you like. She *isn't* that rare here, albeit not as common as Peachy or Lemon Drop, but when people catch on that she's harder to find in the US they like to jump up the price.

Aww. That's super sweet of you to offer. But that's alright. :hug:

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 10:44:48 AM »
 I don't think she is rare really.  I am not an expert though.  When I heard about her and did a search I found her pretty quick several years ago.  I bought mine from someone on the Arena outside the USA.  In fact I am almost positive I saw one for sale recently online at auction.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »
I don't know if they're rare, but they're uncommon. It took awhile for one to pop up on ebay so I could add her to my collection. I felt like I kept missing her being for sale. So maybe she isn't a pony you can just click and buy online on a whim :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal