collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Media Retrospective: My Little Pony: The Movie  (Read 9079 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Media Retrospective: My Little Pony: The Movie
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
That’s a good point about Grundleland Spikethedragon. The flutter ponies were able to get remove the Smooze pretty quickly from Dream Valley and maybe it’s impossible to remove after a certain length of time.  Why did Hydia send Smooze to Grundleland? Was that ever explained?

Also, how long would poor Morning Glory been stuck in the well if Baby Lickety Split, the Grundles and Spike hadn’t stopped there? It took all of them to pull the bucket up with her in it although it takes several flutter ponies to fly Baby Lickety Split back to Dream Valley and in “The End of Flutter Valley  Morning says flutter ponies can’t carry humans.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
Yeah, they got the 'real' Sergeant Slaughter who was a WWE professional wrestler (playing himself . . . except also a Joe).  Although I would say that was a celebrity guest that actually made sense, since a lot of kids were fans of WWE and would know who he was.

Really? How cool. I remember when he guest starred on the Super Mario Bros Super Show.

Post Merge: March 31, 2018, 02:34:02 PM

That’s a good point about Grundleland Spikethedragon. The flutter ponies were able to get remove the Smooze pretty quickly from Dream Valley and maybe it’s impossible to remove after a certain length of time.  Why did Hydia send Smooze to Grundleland? Was that ever explained?

Also, how long would poor Morning Glory been stuck in the well if Baby Lickety Split, the Grundles and Spike hadn’t stopped there? It took all of them to pull the bucket up with her in it although it takes several flutter ponies to fly Baby Lickety Split back to Dream Valley and in “The End of Flutter Valley  Morning says flutter ponies can’t carry humans.

Ponyfan

Cuz she's a mean old lady.

Hopefully somebody would have found her. Though help help I'm down in the well woulda been my preferred words.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 02:34:02 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2018, 03:49:15 PM »
Some things I did like about the movie:

Out of the fat and thin sidekicks (witches), the fat one was the smarter one, which is unusual.

And the wishing well 'echo' song.

Also Rosedust straight up refusing to help, although that's just because it makes me laugh and goes along so perfectly with how snooty and aloof the flutter pony toys look.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2018, 04:16:33 PM »
Some things I did like about the movie:

Out of the fat and thin sidekicks (witches), the fat one was the smarter one, which is unusual.

And the wishing well 'echo' song.

Also Rosedust straight up refusing to help, although that's just because it makes me laugh and goes along so perfectly with how snooty and aloof the flutter pony toys look.

Now if only they had their noses in the air.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »
The wishing well  scene/song and finding the flutter ponies are some of my favorite scenes too. :)  I'm amused by the fact that no one caught on that Morning Glory wasn't just an echo in the well when she sang "In here" instead of "inn near"  :)

Also all the things that are in the last drawer Baby Lickety Split dumps during "Ill Go it Alone"

Where is she going to plug in the toaster?   :lol:

It's been quite a while since I've watched the film. I think it's time to rewatch it.

Ponyfan

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2018, 03:07:43 AM »

Some do. Pink Dreams, Wind Drifter, Wing Song... They look less aloof than the first wave of Flutters, though. XD

Haha, this is exactly the shot I was talking about in the fakie thread, where I said that that one fakie reminded me of her. :P

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2018, 03:26:36 PM »
I watched the movie earlier and my options about the movie remain the same. It had been so long since I’d seen it that I’d forgotten about the scene where the Grundles are trying to help Spike and Baby Lickety Split find Dream Castle.

Ponyfan

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2018, 11:18:02 PM »
I just watched this for the first time!

It was cute, but definitely not my fave pony movie.

I have to admit I  was almost waiting for Gusty to say "Don't have a cow, man" or something the whole movie, lol. Nancy Cartwright voices her and the voice she does for Gusty sounds exactly like Bart Simpson. It made me laugh how cynical she was being the whole time, really. Angsty little pony.

The songs were very cute, Baby Lickety Split was being so ornery though! Baby Lickety Split, chill!!

The movie did focus a bit too much on the witches and stuff though. More ponies!

Overall I thought it was very cute and a nice addition to the MLP movie/TV series but definitely not the best.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2018, 08:07:25 AM »
I just watched this for the first time!

It was cute, but definitely not my fave pony movie.

I have to admit I  was almost waiting for Gusty to say "Don't have a cow, man" or something the whole movie, lol. Nancy Cartwright voices her and the voice she does for Gusty sounds exactly like Bart Simpson. It made me laugh how cynical she was being the whole time, really. Angsty little pony.

The songs were very cute, Baby Lickety Split was being so ornery though! Baby Lickety Split, chill!!

The movie did focus a bit too much on the witches and stuff though. More ponies!

Overall I thought it was very cute and a nice addition to the MLP movie/TV series but definitely not the best.

Haha yeah. Gusty is pretty ornery. Aye Carumba!

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
I forgot about Gusty's voice! I wanted Gusty even more after hearing her voice.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2018, 01:36:45 PM »
The wishing well  scene/song and finding the flutter ponies are some of my favorite scenes too. :)  I'm amused by the fact that no one caught on that Morning Glory wasn't just an echo in the well when she sang "In here" instead of "inn near"  :)

Also all the things that are in the last drawer Baby Lickety Split dumps during "Ill Go it Alone"

Where is she going to plug in the toaster?   :lol:

It's been quite a while since I've watched the film. I think it's time to rewatch it.

Ponyfan

I love when she takes a out a lone feather to make it less heavy XD

My sister pointed out how she liked when Morning Glory was starting to get agitated in her responses to Licketysplit not getting that she's not an echo. =D

You can tell this was a movie made by two studios.  The parts animated by Toei is head and shoulders above the lion's share of the movie animated by AKOM.  You can really see it in the few segments with the ponies animated by Toei where the twinkle eyed ponies had beautiful gems in their eyes that actually twinkled.  Compared to AKOM who drew two concentric circles and colored in the space between them.  If only they were willing to give Toei the time and money needed to animated the movie completely.

Do you have an example of this? From what I've seen the twinkle eyes sometimes get more detailed in close up shots, but it's kind of inconsistent how they're drawn. None of the pony scenes look Toei animated to me. Many of the scenes with the witches on the other hand look to be animated by Toei. You can really notice the difference in style when they switch animation studios.

Toei's characters are more well-drawn and the movement is more fluid. Akom's movement is more janky and their characters seem to have thinner/softer outlines. On the plus side, Akom did some great detailed backgrounds in this. Toei's backgrounds are often more simplified. I like Toei's style better, but I think Akom did an ok job with this movie compared to the TV animation they put out.

I knew unconsciously that some of the animation was off on some scenes but all this time I didn't realize two studios animated it XD

Oh well I still love the movie even with pointed out flaws in the story that I've read in this thread. I love all the songs and LOVE singing every one of them as I try to mimic the character's voices =P My favorite thing to do when re-watching the movie and such. AND talking along with them as well =P I love it so much T.T

For the longest time I didn't realize about Gusty's voice until much later, even with me watching a lot of Simpsons at the time, as a kid I watched a show talking about Nancy Cartwright and who she voiced and I was like 'I wish they would do an episode with some of the people that voiced the ponies." which I probably said aloud to my mom at the time, and then some time later I was watching Glass Princess and was 'Gusty sounds familiar!!!!!" and my kid mind was "duh!!! check the credits!" and low and behold I was shocked XD Yay dumb kid mind! =P

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2018, 02:09:38 PM »

Some do. Pink Dreams, Wind Drifter, Wing Song... They look less aloof than the first wave of Flutters, though. XD

Haha, this is exactly the shot I was talking about in the fakie thread, where I said that that one fakie reminded me of her. :P

Please, post a picture of that fakie.  :P

Oh, thinking back to that scene with Morning Glory and the wishing well . . . Who else noticed the awkward cut off to that scene?  Morning Glory says something like:

"I'll take you to Flutter Valle--" and she gets out a SMIDGE of the ending "ee" sound of 'valley' before being cut-off, obviously mid-sentence.  Just terrible editing.  I think this happens in another scene too but I can't recall which.  Possibly the one where North Star is watching the Smooze from the roof?

The scenes where the TE pony eyes twinkle were IMO corporate mandate to sell the audience on the gimmick, not the animators going the extra mile of their own volition. Kind of like how the plot revolves around the flutter ponies fluttering their wings which, coincidence of coincidences, just happens to be the gimmick of the flutter ponies.

(Except then it turned out the actual gimmick of the flutter ponies was for their wings to very quickly break off, ha ha.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:21:18 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »
Oh, thinking back to that scene with Morning Glory and the wishing well . . . Who else noticed the awkward cut off to that scene?  Morning Glory says something like:

"I'll take you to Flutter Valle--" and she gets out a SMIDGE of the ending "ee" sound of 'valley' before being cut-off, obviously mid-sentence.  Just terrible editing.  I think this happens in another scene too but I can't recall which.  Possibly the one where North Star is watching the Smooze from the roof?

Omg I noticed that too! There was also one scene it cut to that was like 15 seconds long if that and it went back to the other guys. It kind of made me laugh because I think how it went was Bad guys scene, 15 second scene of ponies traversing some dangerous trail and someone got cut off at the end of their sentence, bad guy scene again. Made me chuckle because I had already noticed by that point that oddly the ponies were not getting as much screen time as everyone else.

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2018, 01:22:58 AM »

I love when she takes a out a lone feather to make it less heavy XD

My sister pointed out how she liked when Morning Glory was starting to get agitated in her responses to Licketysplit not getting that she's not an echo. =D

For the longest time I didn't realize about Gusty's voice until much later, even with me watching a lot of Simpsons at the time, as a kid I watched a show talking about Nancy Cartwright and who she voiced and I was like 'I wish they would do an episode with some of the people that voiced the ponies." which I probably said aloud to my mom at the time, and then some time later I was watching Glass Princess and was 'Gusty sounds familiar!!!!!" and my kid mind was "duh!!! check the credits!" and low and behold I was shocked XD Yay dumb kid mind! =P

I noticed that recently as well. If you listen closely you can really hear how Morning Glory's voice changes in the last few lines. She's probably getting more desperate to get Baby Lickety Split, Spike and the Grundles to realize she's stuck in the well. 

Rewatching the movie the other night I noticed a lot of strange cuts and fade outs. There's one right after Gusty tried to rescue the bushwoolies  and they get smoozed. There's  a sudden a fade out to black and then the next scene shows them covered in smooze.

There's also a quick cut back to the witches afer Buttons yells "To the roof!"  and then all of the ponies left at Paradise Estate are shown on the roof.

I was beginning to wonder if Hasbro did so many fade outs to black to make room for commerical breaks  even this was a theatrical release.  :lol:

Russi Taylor, the voice of the 80's animated Strawberry Shortcake also does the voices for Morning Glory and Rosedust. Sometimes I can hear Strawberry Shortcake in Morning Glory's voice.

I think I like Morning Glory better in MLP the movie than I do in "The End of Flutter Vallley"

Ponyfan

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2018, 02:15:26 AM »
When the TE ponies have actual gem eyes with the twinkling, you can also tell the animation in general has better quality.  Really, it's like Toei was halfway done with the movie and they suddenly decided to take it over to Korea to have AKOM do the rest because they could do it faster and cheaper.  The parts animated by AKOM were also where you were more likely to see coloring errors or wrong lips moving.

Really, this was a movie that needed more time at every aspect from script to animation.  However, it was the precursor to the series, so it had to come out that summer.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal