collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Baby Sundance

have her
17 (47.2%)
want her
6 (16.7%)
army
3 (8.3%)
I'll pass today
9 (25%)
new to me
1 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: April 02, 2018, 07:31:21 AM

Author Topic: POTD 3/28/18 Baby Sundance  (Read 1545 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 3/28/18 Baby Sundance
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
I really, really wish we'd gotten the First Tooth version that was shown in prototype form in that one commercial.

Was wondering how many posts it would take before someone brought her up. Turns out...two. That's pretty quick xD.

I agree by the way :)

I do have Baby Sundance and Molly :) Neither were sold in the UK. I don't think I got them together, either. I am sure I had baby Sundance long before the completionist in me demanded I get Molly too.

me too :lol: and i would be another who really wished they made the first tooth baby sundance. darn what were they thinking. she isn't even a nice version of a bbe or at least the one i had was so different then sweetie pie, her face was really freaky and thin and she looked more like Kermit the frog  :blink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline pikkupapupata

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2018, 09:54:39 PM »
I really, really wish we'd gotten the First Tooth version that was shown in prototype form in that one commercial.

Was wondering how many posts it would take before someone brought her up. Turns out...two. That's pretty quick xD.

I agree by the way :)

I do have Baby Sundance and Molly :) Neither were sold in the UK. I don't think I got them together, either. I am sure I had baby Sundance long before the completionist in me demanded I get Molly too.

me too :lol: and i would be another who really wished they made the first tooth baby sundance. darn what were they thinking. she isn't even a nice version of a bbe or at least the one i had was so different then sweetie pie, her face was really freaky and thin and she looked more like Kermit the frog  :blink:

This one!?

That is so cool, I didn't even know about the prototype because I never look at the BBE ponies - they look too bizarre to me. I might consider having Baby Sundance and the rest of the BBE ponies just for the sake of expanding a collection and having a complete set, but that is something for far in the future. I might try my hand at some point at making a custom Baby Sundance in a pose I like; that'd be fun.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 02:26:23 AM »
On the topic of the FT pose prototype, does it look to anyone else like she has a more minimalist version of her symbol on her forehead? Similar to TAFs and Flutter Ponies.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 03:26:49 AM »
I have her but she is dbbe cannot stand the bbe’s they are to near to dolls for me when they are like that. (Nothing against dolls just have always scared me alittle)

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 04:08:11 AM »
On the topic of the FT pose prototype, does it look to anyone else like she has a more minimalist version of her symbol on her forehead? Similar to TAFs and Flutter Ponies.

Oooh, I never noticed that before! How pretty. :D Now I'm extra sad we didn't get her. :(

He knows that they're the fool...

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 07:55:26 AM »
I'll pass, I like her design but I'm just not a fan of BBEs. I wish they'd released a NBBE version of her.. the FT prototype has such a pretty symbol (and I'd never even noticed she had a forehead symbol too, ooh.. good catch, Spike!!).

Offline poniiprincess

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • Pony/Doll Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 09:41:12 AM »
Awww these both are so adorable I would absolutely add them to my collection.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »

Oooh, I never noticed that before! How pretty. :D Now I'm extra sad we didn't get her. :(

I never noticed that either. That's really cool. She seems to have been so well thought out and then...bam. What was that. Funding cut? Or the BBE gimmick just too much fun to stop? I dunno.

She's in the commercial for the Satin Slipper Sweet Shoppe as well, with Molly. That FT prototype got around a bit (or there were more than one of them). I wish she had been real as well.

The UK only ever had 2 BBEs as far as I know (Cuddles & Half Note) and also had the regular babies so it would've been a hit here, probably, in FT form.

Question, though. Does anyone know if there is promo material advertising a BBE or regular (Not FT) version of Baby Sundance prior to the 1987 catalogue? If I understand right, Baby Sundance with the FT is also in the Satin Slipper TV ad, which was out in 1987? And in the ad with the first set of Pony Friends, also 1987, that shows them with the dolls that never got produced (Alyssa, Kendall etc)?

If FT is the fad style for 1987, and BBE was the fad style for 1986, it seems a bit weird to regress from a modern prototype to the previous year's style. I wonder if the FT prototype was actually meant to be a rerelease from the BBE and they scrapped it when they scrapped the other dolls...rather than the FT baby being the prototype of the BBE. It seems a bit anachronistic that way around, especially since she's drawn as a BBE on the 1986 US insert.

I'd expect a prototype for the BBE baby to be a regular eyed version, and the added features and fancy symbol also maybe suggests some kind of 1987 upgrade (in the year that TAF ponies also came into being).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 04:06:39 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 12:35:39 AM »
The FT pose Baby Sundance would've been the second edition for 1987 for sure. I supect there was originally a plan for a third edition of Megan and Sundance in 1987 too. But that one would've been cancelled early on because they still had a lot of unsold So Soft Megan and Sundances (they later ended up as mail order). That Sundance would probably have had a symbol similar to this FT Baby. TAF Megan and Sundance from 1989 might be a re-worked version of this idea, but with the Sunshine hair color change being the primary gimmick rather than the TAF symbols. The unreleased second edition Molly also had Sundance's symbols on her dress, similar to what TAF Megan would get.

And since second edition Molly and Baby Sundance were meant as part of the "Pony Friends" set, they were scrapped along with the human friend dolls. FT Baby Sundance still appear on the cardback for the pony friends for whatever reason, while the human girls were edited out (there exists a version of the artwork with the girls on it, as seen among Ruth Bush's material).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal