collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Help!? Ponies VS Cat urine.  (Read 1566 times)

Offline fizzerknight

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Button pose obsessive! :D
    • View Profile
Help!? Ponies VS Cat urine.
« on: March 26, 2018, 10:14:25 PM »
I just moved in with a new roommate and her cat SPRAYED all over my luggage that was carrying my collection! (I love cats, I have cats, I'm very mad at this cat..)

All of my girls REAK now. Anyone have any advice??

The more options, the better. So keep em coming please!

Thank you all in advance.

Post Merge: March 26, 2018, 10:16:28 PM

Oops is this supposed to be in WYP? If it is, sorry Mods! Move if necessary!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:16:28 PM by fizzerknight »
Any Britney Spears items you don't want? Sell them to me!

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: Help!? Ponies VS Cat urine.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:32:38 PM »
Oh my gosh I am so sorry this happened! I used to have a cat, but he never peed or sprayed on any toys of mine. Usually carpet or bedding, and he only did it once or twice. So I have no first hand experience. But I believe this article may help. If it works on plastic playhouses for children, it might work on ponies. Not actually tested on ponies before, so uh...good luck?
The article: http://animals.mom.me/how-to-get-cat-urine-smell-out-of-plastic-playhouse-12244944.html
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline fizzerknight

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Button pose obsessive! :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 10:49:43 PM »
Oh my gosh I am so sorry this happened! I used to have a cat, but he never peed or sprayed on any toys of mine. Usually carpet or bedding, and he only did it once or twice. So I have no first hand experience. But I believe this article may help. If it works on plastic playhouses for children, it might work on ponies. Not actually tested on ponies before, so uh...good luck?
The article: http://animals.mom.me/how-to-get-cat-urine-smell-out-of-plastic-playhouse-12244944.html

Thank you so much! I'm also concerned, ( and I probably should have mentioned), because I've got a few customs. I'm worried about the paint and such... :-(

ALSO I forgot to mention the collection is entirely G1, with about 3 or 4 customs thrown in.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:54:05 PM by fizzerknight »
Any Britney Spears items you don't want? Sell them to me!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:28:45 AM »
Try dousing them in Nature's Miracle or another enzyme cleaner.

Don't use any ammonia based cleaner because pee also has ammonia in it, so the smell of it may convince kitty that he should spray them again.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Tiara546

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • www.tiara546.de
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 10:35:11 AM »
Not sure if it works in this particular case, but after many hours of research I once came across "Nodor", which is a spray against (pet) urine smell. Unlike other such products, it is completely free of fragrance, but instead is based on a solution of mineral salts, a bit like those deodorants made of aluminium salt (which one should, btw, never use!).

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:10:38 AM »
Yep there are plenty of enzyme removers on the market that you can use. 

My concern is, if the cat is SPRAYING, it isn't spayed or neutered, and it is just going to continue to pee all over your things, as it sees you as an intruder in its space. 
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 11:33:11 AM »
Yep there are plenty of enzyme removers on the market that you can use. 

My concern is, if the cat is SPRAYING, it isn't spayed or neutered, and it is just going to continue to pee all over your things, as it sees you as an intruder in its space.

Unfortunately, some cats spray even if they are spayed or neutered, especially when feeling territorial.  I have such a beast myself  :(

Cats also like to pee on things that smell faintly of mildew- (or at least mine does) - which is possible if you have vintage ponies.

I'd clean them all off with soap and water and spray that enzematic cleaner on them.  Maybe wash the customs separately and spray the enzyme stuff only in their hair- test on one first to be sure it doesn't melt the paint because it might.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »
After cleaning the ponies spray them with a repellent (a very mild one) that way the cat won't spray on them.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
I would actually put the ponies somewhere that it is physically impossible for the cat to get at- 

If the cat (with its far superior nose) detects any small amount of smell remaining, it will be tempted to do the deed again...

Offline Kiwichi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
Bad cat!  Hmm, might not be a good fit for you if this cat never takes a liking to you... it may not stop.

My cat was mean & did some unimaginable things to my ex boyfriends...  he clawed a new leather jacket, peed on the dining room tablesss, clothes, tool bag full of expensive tools, shoes&boots, and even purposely left poops too!  He loved me though, he leave a pile of mangled dead field mice at the door(outside) after hunting :shocked:

Had to finally get rid of the cat after moving into a more expensive house.  Cat started spraying the walls and the doors!!!  I swear after thorough cleaning, I can still smell it from time to time :blink:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 02:51:52 PM »
I would actually put the ponies somewhere that it is physically impossible for the cat to get at- 

If the cat (with its far superior nose) detects any small amount of smell remaining, it will be tempted to do the deed again...

agreed 100%. Pets are destructive to collectibles anyway, even good pets have bad days. Always assume that.

Clean all of them right away with something like dawn (so, soap and water). get enzymatic cleaner, spray and leave for 10 mins and clean again. They will need a safe spot to airdry for a number of weeks before you pack anything up again.

Will an enzyme cleaner damage them? honestly, I don't know. The urine being so strong and powerful, you don't really have many options. (I am well versed in how powerful cat urine is)

Bill your roomie for the depreciation. Depending on the size/condition quality of the collection the figure changes. (example baity or tlc  ponies you fixed %5 if you had all NM stuff, unbrushed factory curls, pristine flocking that was never washed, softies, you're getting into a higher %). I just.... can't fathom this. if you own a pet one should understand the trouble they get into with big changes.  Cat 101- new or strange places can bring out bad behaviors from stress. she should have had her cat somewhere closed off and private so he could settle in. (she also needs feliway plug in where he's kept)

If this kitty is unneutered, or otherwise needs a vet- as much as the ponies seem huge, your bigger worry is being on a lease with this person. Cat urine can cost thousands in repairs if it becomes an ongoing thing- it can easily be a nightmare to remediate. The landlord will come after both of you if her cat damages his/her unit.

****edit*****
I re-read your post and likely misunderstood.

If you moved into her unit, it's a little different as the cat was there before you- and obviously would have free run of common areas.

Really, keep your things away from pets especially during big changes that upset their apple cart. (if you moved into her/the kitties space- I'd get the feliway plug in to help the kitty settle down and get used to you.  it sort of gives off "everything is chill/good we can relax" pheromones)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:35:36 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Duenia

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 04:56:15 PM »
I've personally found distilled white vinegar to be great against cat urine. Never tested it on ponies though.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:22 PM »
I agree with making sure the cat can't get to the ponies again.  Prevention is the best cure.   Maybe get some cupboards with glass doors on them like Ikea sells.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2018, 02:43:58 AM »
I bought some ponies that arrived covered in cat pee. What a, um, lovely surprise that was. I washed and washed them - hair and body - and let them stand on a shelf to air for several months in our library which has a lot of airflow going through it. Smell is completely gone now. I am not sure whether you would want to shut them away in a cupboard straight away as that would not help with the smell; but then you also need to keep them safe and away from Kitty. Not an easy situation: sorry!

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2018, 04:12:55 PM »
I had a very old cat who snuck into our spare room, where a bulk lot of g3's I'd just bought were in a box on the floor, and got herself locked in. Well she had an accident in the box, and I had dozens of very smelly G3's to clean up somehow!

I used the white vinegar trick. I made up a bucket of the solution, pulled off everyone's heads (THAT took a while!) and put them all through a regular cleaning, and then soaked each batch in the vinegar solution until the next batch was done with it's regular cleaning (about 5-6 ponies, so probs 10 min) then I hung them on the clothesline. It was quite the sight. When I ran out of washbags I used old thin pillowcases, and then resorted to hanging by their hair. Some I put in windowsills and on railings too, anywhere I could give them a solid day of air circulation.

They were still slightly stinky, so I filled a large shallow container with baking soda, placed it in a box, put a baking cooling rack over the container so the ponies didn't get powder on them, and put the ponies in too before sealing it. I left them for a month, and then aired them again for another full day in the sun (aside from any light pink-haired girls, light pink G3 hair fades like crazy), so the heat would bring out any residual smell. They're back to normal now. My scented ones no longer smell either, but it was a sacrifice I had to make in order to keep them.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal