collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: are they any other hair colour that fades like "the fading pink"  (Read 1120 times)

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
i was just wondering and concerned.
reason being i just hair'ed this pony here with Daiquiri ice and it reminds me of a mint colour version of that horrid fading pink.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

im scared of having her out but can't put her in my cabinet, she is too awesome  :lol:

anyways iv had ponies that have faded under my care  -_- not from being careless but from not being extra super duper careful and pretty much keeping them in the dark, even in the shaded parts at the back of a cabinet with a thin curtain or blind closed in that room they still faded.  :cry:

our UV here in NZ is great for quickly sunfading pen marks etc but not for keeping poseys and lickety splits on display anywhere in the room.

any ways another thing i remember coming across a ebay auction for a sea pony, seawinkle or surf dancer (not wave jumper) and the pony had white hair. so can other colours like yellow or purple fade to white or any other colours? have you come across very faded to white hair?
any pics would be great too  ;)

thanks
d

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: are they any other hair colour that fades like "the fading pink"
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 05:50:11 PM »
I've noticed a lot of Dabbles that crop up on eBay have white instead of green in their hair. I'm guessing it has to do with how they dyed that hair to make it two-toned. I've also had a Pretty Belle who's hair had turned like a light lemon yellow. When I got her tail out, the little nub that had been inside her was wayyyyy darker.
I think most hair is capable of fading depending on the circumstances unfortunately.

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »
The perfume puff ponies colored hair all eventually will fade to white as well.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
I've noticed a lot of Dabbles that crop up on eBay have white instead of green in their hair. I'm guessing it has to do with how they dyed that hair to make it two-toned. I've also had a Pretty Belle who's hair had turned like a light lemon yellow. When I got her tail out, the little nub that had been inside her was wayyyyy darker.
I think most hair is capable of fading depending on the circumstances unfortunately.

oh good to know, i just looked at wiki and it said that the aqua in dabble can go white. some colours i find can be stubborn  so i guess its all down to the dying process.
i had a quick look at my pretty belle and she hair is slightly lighter then most :)

The perfume puff ponies colored hair all eventually will fade to white as well.

ah yes, my red roses has faded  :cry: and i had a repinked dainty dahlia, can the others go white too? come to remember i think iv seen white hair daisy sweet that was meant to be yellow
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 06:31:36 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:29:45 PM »
There is a white-haired variant of Daisy sweet, but yes they all can fade.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:37:02 PM »
Why do all Perfume Puffs inevitably fade?

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 10:01:31 PM »
Why do all Perfume Puffs inevitably fade?

the dye.

All colours will fade eventually.
most sensitive hair- fading pink, dyed hair ponies -horizontal stripes & purfume puff.

That lavender colour on blossom, and cotton candy's pink shaded hair gets dingy or chalky looking more easily then other hair colours.

paint pigments- lavenders, pinks seem the most sensitive (on lavender/mauve shades, reds fade away leaving a more periwinkle shade behind).

Purple/lavender is often one of the most sensitive body colours.

extended UV though will damage everything. Once stabilizers are consumed, they'll start discoloring or weeping. In some ways it's nice to have pieces that are so sensitive and delicate that they act like the canary in the coal mine and indicate either light, heat or moisture is an issue.

"Although PVC is susceptible to degradation by light and heat, this is not usually the most serious problem in museums. Exposure of PVC to light (especially ultraviolet radiation) and heat will cause a degradation reaction, called dehydrochlorination, which produces hydrochloric acid and causes the PVC to change color from yellow to brown to black. Manufacturers control this by adding light and heat stabilizers. Unfortunately these stabilizers are consumed as they do their job, until at some time the stabilizers are exhausted, and additional exposure suddenly results in deterioration. Thus a PVC object that has been surviving nicely under lights for several years may suddenly begin rapid deterioration. This was a common scenario for the vinyl roofs on cars. They would be in good shape for several years then suddenly rot away. In experiments on PVC degradation Shashoua (Shashoua 1996, Shashoua and Ward 1995) did not detect dehydrochlorination at room temperature in the dark after 6 months. However in accelerated aging experiments dehydrochlorination did occur but incorporation of zeolites or epoxidized soya bean oil (ESBO) inhibited the discoloration of PVC caused by dehydrochlorination. Shashoua suggests including zeolite pellets in storage boxes containing PVC objects to inhibit discoloration. "
http://cool.conservation-us.org/waac/wn/wn24/wn24-1/wn24-102.html

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 12:40:31 AM »
Just adding that the Family Ponies (Berrytowns, Meadowsweet and Sunbrights) would fall into the horizontal stripe category.  The pink stripe in particular seems the most likely to fade. 
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 06:24:59 AM »
I think the horizontal stripe ponies have hair that fades easily due to the fact that the colors are dyed on, rather than actually being the base hair color, if that makes sense.

Any hair color will fade eventually if left in harsh sunlight for years and years, but in terms of colors that easily and regularly fade--colors that we consistently see faded to white--it's pretty much just fading pink.  (Plus horizontally dyed hair and other hair that has an 'odd' dying process.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
I think that the sun can play a role. It's hard to know in the long run what colours will bleach out of ponies, but I have seen direct sun fading damage on Surprise's neon yellow, on Magic Star and Seashell (green to blue) and also even on Gypsy in the past. I suspect Gypsy would take some amount of exposure though for that to happen. She was a very abused example.

The stripes...I am not sure they are more susceptible to fading than others honestly. Dabble I think is an exception because there's something up with the greenish pigment in her hair in particular. The family ponies...either the dye process or the hair fibres are different as the texture/appearance is not the same as Dabble and Scribbles if I remember right.

My sister and I had all of the family babies as kids and took them outside in the sun and even to the beach a lot and none of them are faded at all. We had a sunbright and a meadowsweet each, and I had berrytown.

I do see fading on the adults sometimes, but it is usually most established on the Meadowsweets. I am guessing that goes back to the fading pink issue rather than the type of hair dye/colour, because it seems disproportionate. The thing is that we notice it because those ponies are really hard to restore the colours on. So loss of stripe colour on those ponies basically bottoms out the value of the pony and makes them much less desireable - whilst Posey or Windwhistler, for example, are relatively simple to re-pink.

Perfume Puffs - Daisy Sweet you can usually tell the difference by checking the forelock and the roots as to whether she's legitimately white haired or faded out from gold.

I've had my Red Roses more than 20 years now. She's still the same shade of pink as when I found her at a carboot sale back then. So I suspect that the intensity of UV in your particular geographic location is the "factor X" in how fast your ponies will fade. The UK doesn't have very many strong sunny days and my ponies live in the dark, so while there's probably slow and gradual age related fading going on, it's not really as noticeable as the fading pink. That too can happen from age as well, but it's much more pronounced when sun is involved.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 11:45:40 AM »
I’m probably in the minority but I refuse to shield my ponies away where I can’t see them. Life is so short and they bring me such joy. I’ve had all my G1 ponies proudly displayed on a bookshelf that forms a right angle with a large southern-facing window (so lots of direct sunlight) with zero fading issues. And they look so happy basking in the sun. No regrets! My ponies are for my enjoyment in the here and now!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »
I know DollyHair's Atomic Turquoise is said to fade easily, but not to white like fading pink hair. I think all colors will fade to an extent when left in the sun.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal