collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: ✨Rehairing Tool and Information✨  (Read 2277 times)

Offline pikkupapupata

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
✨Rehairing Tool and Information✨
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
Hi, all! I'm looking for a bit of help with some things as I'm having a hard time deciding. Customs and restorations are brand new to me, so I'm hoping to expand my knowledge.

First, I have ordered once recently from Dollyhair, and before I searched the internet and found more in-depth reviews. It was a small order, just two skeins (hanks?) of hair, which I really liked. I was able to give my Milky Way a new tail. However, I was not really pleased with the service. I tried to reach out through email and their phone number to see when the order would be shipped; I never received a response. Then I received an automated email about the order being shipped, but my address was printed wrong, and there was no tracking information (it was shipped First Class, and tracking is free, so I don't understand why it wouldn't be included?). I reached out to see if the address could be corrected - no response. My post office figured out what the address was supposed to be, so I got the package fine. But it took 6 days from ordering to be shipped, plus another 3 to get to me. I didn't have a scale at the time, so I'm not even sure if the weights were correct or not.

So, with that being explained, I'm wondering where to look for nylon hair and a decent rehairing tool for G1 ponies.

In addition to the tool, I'm also curious about what needle sizes are good to have for these ponies (adults, babies, newborns, etc.). Is there a way to fashion my own from a pin vise on Amazon and needles from Etsy? Or should I try to get one pre-made specifically for rehairing from a vendor?

I'm also wondering if there's a good alternative to Dollyhair. I like the nylon hair and the variety of choices. I don't know much about other hair types either, that's why I'm trying to stick with nylon. But do other types work just as well or better for restorations? 

My Little Customs has been a contender for me, I just haven't ordered yet. I put a few things into the basket to see what the shipping options were, and their cost from the UK to the US without tracking wasn't bad at all. I have read pretty much nothing but good reviews for MLC. I would only ask, one, are the rehairing tool and needles from them suitable for ponies, and two, is the shipping reliable enough to forgo tracking in order to keep the cost down?

I would use Dollyhair again if the quality of the items outweighs the spotty service. But I would prefer not to if I can get the same or better items elsewhere. I've just taken in so much information recently that I don't know how to synthesise it all.

Sorry that this got a little verbose. I wanted to try to cover everything I've been pondering.

Thank you in advance for any information, help, and advice!!  :heart:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
Re: ✨Rehairing Tool and Information✨
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
Hi, all! I'm looking for a bit of help with some things as I'm having a hard time deciding. Customs and restorations are brand new to me, so I'm hoping to expand my knowledge.

First, I have ordered once recently from Dollyhair, and before I searched the internet and found more in-depth reviews. It was a small order, just two skeins (hanks?) of hair, which I really liked. I was able to give my Milky Way a new tail. However, I was not really pleased with the service. I tried to reach out through email and their phone number to see when the order would be shipped; I never received a response. Then I received an automated email about the order being shipped, but my address was printed wrong, and there was no tracking information (it was shipped First Class, and tracking is free, so I don't understand why it wouldn't be included?). I reached out to see if the address could be corrected - no response. My post office figured out what the address was supposed to be, so I got the package fine. But it took 6 days from ordering to be shipped, plus another 3 to get to me. I didn't have a scale at the time, so I'm not even sure if the weights were correct or not.

So, with that being explained, I'm wondering where to look for nylon hair and a decent rehairing tool for G1 ponies.

In addition to the tool, I'm also curious about what needle sizes are good to have for these ponies (adults, babies, newborns, etc.). Is there a way to fashion my own from a pin vise on Amazon and needles from Etsy? Or should I try to get one pre-made specifically for rehairing from a vendor?

I'm also wondering if there's a good alternative to Dollyhair. I like the nylon hair and the variety of choices. I don't know much about other hair types either, that's why I'm trying to stick with nylon. But do other types work just as well or better for restorations? 

My Little Customs has been a contender for me, I just haven't ordered yet. I put a few things into the basket to see what the shipping options were, and their cost from the UK to the US without tracking wasn't bad at all. I have read pretty much nothing but good reviews for MLC. I would only ask, one, are the rehairing tool and needles from them suitable for ponies, and two, is the shipping reliable enough to forgo tracking in order to keep the cost down?

I would use Dollyhair again if the quality of the items outweighs the spotty service. But I would prefer not to if I can get the same or better items elsewhere. I've just taken in so much information recently that I don't know how to synthesise it all.

Sorry that this got a little verbose. I wanted to try to cover everything I've been pondering.

Thank you in advance for any information, help, and advice!!  :heart:

First I've only shopped with Dollyhair and yes they are unorganized, slow, but the orders almost always go get to you lol. I'm happy with their selection and prices so I continue to use them.

For rehairing tools I think I purchased mine via ebay from Doll Planet I think is the name. I also bought an extra set of needles since I broke quite a few when I was first learning. I think all of her needles are labeled for the size you need for ponies.
You can also make your own needles by really just breaking off the top with a pair of sturdy pliers, but I prefer to just buy mine.

I've heard great things about RetroDollsUS for hair and supplies :)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 03:45:46 PM »
RetroDollsUS is great! Though, the owner is going through a hard time right now so shipping might be delayed for a bit.

I've also ordered from Doll Planet on eBay and am happy with them.

Personally, I stay far away from DollyHair. After buying from her for years I had a couple awful experiences. There are a lot of topics about DH - here are some

And here is a great topic by the owner of RetroDollsUS about different hair types :) - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385815.0.html

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
Apparently I did not do enough reading like I thought I had done!

Thank you both, shelvesofwhimsy and BlackCurtains, you've been a big help! I placed an order with Doll Planet from their Etsy shop, and just saved them on eBay!

I've been looking more at RetroDollsUS on Etsy, but sometimes Etsy's layout can be really bothersome, especially if the shop products aren't categorised according to type. So I'm having a hard time seeing the stock in terms of nylon, saran, kiwi, etc. as opposed to just in-stock or pre-order. But they still look promising, so I'll definitely check them out again in the future. And her breakdown of the different hair types was awesome, it pretty much answered everything I've been wondering! It's just so tragic what she's experiencing right now; I'm surprised the shop is even open.

I'd still love to read more on these topics if possible, especially if anyone has recent feedback on My Little Customs or others! 
:lovey:

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 02:27:21 PM »
Rehairing tool:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124324294/gold-rerooting-rehairing-tool-for-my?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rehairing%20tool&ref=sr_gallery-1-8

She sells replacement needles too.  You can make your own but I'd rather buy from her.  Hers are fab.  :)

RetroDolls is great for variety and I love them.  I use DollyHair for restoration and customs that have to be exact matches simply because I know her colors match what I'm trying to make/replace.  I've never had an issue with weights or delay of shipments.  I have one of her rehairing tools but I'm using needles from the shop above (they really are amazing).

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »
Rehairing tool:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124324294/gold-rerooting-rehairing-tool-for-my?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=rehairing%20tool&ref=sr_gallery-1-8

She sells replacement needles too.  You can make your own but I'd rather buy from her.  Hers are fab.  :)

RetroDolls is great for variety and I love them.  I use DollyHair for restoration and customs that have to be exact matches simply because I know her colors match what I'm trying to make/replace.  I've never had an issue with weights or delay of shipments.  I have one of her rehairing tools but I'm using needles from the shop above (they really are amazing).

Thanks, Skeen! I think I saw another post of yours somewhere about those needles, but I didn't see that she sold the tool as well. I ordered a tool kit from Doll Planet to try out, but if I need needles or a new tool, I'll definitely try out the vendor you linked.  :biggrin:

I really like Dollyhair's matching and variety, that's why I gave her a go. But after everything I've read, and how my first experience was (even though it was fairly tame and relatively typical based on what I've read), I just don't think I'd like to invite further problems by continuing to order from her unless absolutely necessary. My Little Customs appears to have the same stock as Dollyhair, and if experiences with MLC are better, I'd rather pay a little more and wait a little longer for better service and communication. I just haven't read as much about them, especially from US-based buyers.

CustomDollHairAU looks like another decent source as well. I just don't know anything about them; they popped up in my hunting sprees on eBay and Etsy.

I'm gonna give RetroDolls a go whenever I find another project; I only have a small one at the moment, more like a test project, so we'll see how it goes!

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 06:46:04 PM »
Looks like you already got some high quality advice. I don't have much to add that hasn't been already been said. I use Dollyhair and RetroDolls. Also used Restoredoll a couple of times. I like them all. Dollyhair can be a bit slow, but when I once got a wrong hank, she corrected it quickly. I use them the most because of the colors and hair matching guide; I'm always feeling more sure of the color I'm getting. I make my own rehairing needles, but I have found that the "right size" isn't so specific. I have used several different sizes that can work. Use what is suggested and try out things from there to see what you like.

If you would like to see other tutorials or customising support, check out:

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,283445.0.html
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »
aintnobuffalo, thank you so much! Everything here has been a great help. I'll experiment with the needles, and I've bookmarked the link you provided. I'm happy to see that there are some positive experiences with Dollyhair, and she really does have an excellent selection. I'll see how these other sources are and evaluate pros and cons overall.  :)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 12:21:58 PM »
My Little Customs reroot tool are needles are perfect for Pony heads, just don't press in so hard on baby pony heads as some do split. Make sure you have a pin handy when trying to reroot with ponies Like Baby Stella, Baby Explorer, and Big Brother Ponies as the needles do break.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline pikkupapupata

• Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 04:49:36 PM »
Thank you, bright rabbit 1! I will have to give MLC a go as well, and keep that in mind about those ponies if I ever have a project with one of them.  :)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »
Thank you, bright rabbit 1! I will have to give MLC a go as well, and keep that in mind about those ponies if I ever have a project with one of them.  :)

Glad I could help.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 01:13:55 PM »
Hi there! I'm the owner of RetroDollsUS, I have about 780 colors to choose from on etsy and am always happy to answer any questions or help you hair match for your projects (best way to contact me is through my etsy) http://www.etsy.com/shop/retrodollsus

If you have trouble navigating the etsy shop- just pop me a message on etsy and let me know what colors you're looking for and what hair types. As BlackCurtains has mentioned, there is a delay on shipping due to my father passing away and my dog, all in the past two months, and about 4 knee surgeries in the past two years (I'm ready for some positivity!). I am trying to get things out as quickly as possible tho, and I'm always happy to stay in contact with you to update you on your orders. If there's something you're needing ASAP, I'm also happy to work with you on priority shipping, etc.
I carry reroot tools, unicorn horns and other accessories in addition to doll hair- and am working on a website that will be able to break down by types of hair, it'll probably be towards the end of the year as it's a beastly undertaking- over 1000 items! whew! I can say I recommend customdollhairau - Nat is very friendly, I do stock some of her hair and she has stocked some of mine. Kathy at restoredoll is also very friendly.

I'm always happy to match colors and help you figure out ideas for customs (I make customs myself and enjoy hearing about people's projects).

there is also a site in the UK- www.retrodolls.uk
and one in the EU- www.retrodollseurope.com

Take care,
Shannon <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal