collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are kids more destructive these days?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Are kids more destructive these days?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »
Absolutely not.   I found many G1s with chew marks and haircuts in the 90s (when they were plentiful in thrift shops) and I also see lots of G3s with haircuts.  And remember Sid from Toy Story?  Yeah, his antics were based on the memories of the people working on the show, who said they used to blow up G.I. Joes with firecrackers, etc.  RIP, "Combat Carl." ;)

Also I don't think it's accurate to say it's 'destruction' in case of kids drawing on toys, etc.  I was gentle with my ponies but with my other toys . . . hoooo boy!  I cut tail holes in doll clothes so my stuffed animals could wear them, I put eyeshadow in a blond doll's hair (and it never came out) and covered her face with make-up, I painted a bunch of my plastic toy animals black because I was pretending they were doing that scene in 101 Dalmatians where the dogs roll in soot to hide from Cruella.

I don't think I was "being destructive", even if I was interacting with toys in a way that would have made them "damaged" in the eyes of a collector.  I was just having fun and relating to my toys in my own way.  :)

Edit:  Also the reason we don't see as many ratty G1s on eBay any more is that they are gradually removed from the community and customized.  And that it's just not worth it to list a baity Cotton Candy, unless she is in a lot with other bait.  No one even wants to pay shipping on a beat-up common pony when they could buy a good condition one for $4.  But believe me, there were P-L-E-N-T-Y of ratty, chewed, drawn-on, haircut, you name it, G1s around in the 90s. 

I've actually noticed that the other gens don't get pen marks on them as much.  I wonder if G1 plastic is easier to write on?  G3s often have that slightly shiny/slick plastic and G2s & G4s have harder plastic bodies than G1.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 03:53:56 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Are kids more destructive these days?
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 01:18:29 PM »
today's society focuses on convenience and fast consumerism (like what you hear in the term, "fast fashion").  most kids  only got toys as rewards for good grades/holidays/birthdays.  Not because "we were in the checkout and this just looked SO CUTE I had to buy it".

most parents in the 80's were not able to easily obtain credit the way that one can today.  the idea of racking up hundreds of dollars in debt on "plastic" was just not done.  Not unless your mom had like, a Tupperware lady that harassed her every month for more sales, LOL!

Now people are cool with paying $3 for a shirt made in a sweatshop, and they'll fill a bag with 'em, then go drink their Frappucino and play on their mobile phone.  And that shirt will get a hole or a rip or get stained within months of owning it, and out goes the customer to buy a new one...

I would say that for the vast majority of people growing up in the 80/90's, their parents were making ends meet BUT!!!  shopping wasn't a hobby to pass the time, the way it is now!  remember, no Amazon, no ebay, no flash sales and no free shipping.  we went shopping for things we couldn't make ourselves - not just because we had money in the bank or a CC that never declined...

because of this, toys and everything else are no longer manufactured to last more than a few years.  :(  Unless you are super picky about your quality and brands...

Don't be so blase' babysquirmy.  :mad: The Tupperware Mafia is no laughing matter.

:silly:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal