collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are kids more destructive these days?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Are kids more destructive these days?
« on: March 26, 2018, 11:27:42 AM »
I have noticed that when I find ponies at the thrift store the G3s and occasional older ones will usually be in fairly decent condition but the G4s often have something really wrong with them. Like they will be half chewed by a dog or have hair cuts or be drawn on. Has anyone else noticed this?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Are kids more destructive these days?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »
Not in my experience, the parents are just more willing to donate their trash than in previous years when you actually sifted through things to donate items in good condition.  Because ALL of my ponies looked like nightmares when I was done with them in the mid 80s.

The very first thing I did to my very first pony (Twilight) was draw extra stars all over her within a month of having her.  And horseshoes under her hooves.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:55:18 AM »
doubt it.
Maybe more people in the past threw away "destroyed" items vs donating garbage.
I sadly know people who only donate poor condition things to "the poor" which means thrifts. If they have nice things they sell them instead.

I do notice newer toys ARE far more sensitive to fading or discoloration from hand oils/handling. the hair quality is more frizz prone as well.
My guess is the metal pigments, and other not so nice things for health, but made for a more durable item in old ponies for much of that disparity.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 01:09:12 PM »
Yet to ever see a wrecked G4 or G3 but I've seen many wrecked G1 in my lifetime...

Albeit some of them may have had many homes.

The worst I have seen for a G3 is a Daffydazey with a really stained symbol, but that's seriously not hard to make happen, given that it's fabric.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:46:18 PM »
Nope. Depends on the individual kid.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 03:21:53 PM »
My theory for this is hard to put down. Perhaps people just donate toys that they would otherwise throw away because they are attempting to be environmentally-conscious, or there is less..."screening" for sellable donations. Toys that are seen as trash by children are more likely to swap hands than toys that are well-kept and forgotten in attics. In many years, perhaps there will be more well-kept G4 ponies and G3 ponies will become about as rare as G1s are in the wild (not exactly but...y'know).
I haven't seen any G4s that are as roughed up as the G3 ponies I see. They're usually written on or have haircuts that are more dramatic than the "show accurate" ones that are more common on G4 ponies.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 03:59:57 AM »
When I think back to the stuff my brother and I did to our toys then no, I don't think kids are any more destructive these days.

Main difference was probably that we had to live with the consequences - the toys were not replaced, end of. We soon learnt to either look after them, play with them 'as is'  or how to mend them :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:02:42 AM by PoserBeachball »

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 05:24:45 AM »
I think parents are perhaps more aware that childhood is short lived and kids don't keep their toys as long as previous generations. They allow kids to do whatever they want with cheap toys. it's better to wreck a $10 pony than the iPad or phone they'll be asking for in a few years. More often I see parents helping their children sell their toys so they can spend the money on whatever is their current favourite thing.

We're definitely in a period of getting rid of things no longer used so I imagine that less people are holding onto things for their own children.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:32:59 AM »
I think people in general are more destructive  :huh:

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 06:16:47 AM »
I think part of it is, things seem less "built to last" nowadays. If that makes sense. I've noticed older toys lasting years looking just like they came fresh out of the box, but newer toys degrading very quickly.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »
I was hard on all of my toys with the exception of ponies and even they got dunked in water, scuffed up and left in braids.  We only got new toys at Christmas or birthdays and not very many of them.  As a result, they had to endure years of rough housing and being left to the elements.  It didn't matter though because we loved them anyway. 

Plus, you can learn a lot by taking things apart, seeing what happens when ink touches plastic, cutting hair and so on.  Seeing a wrecked toy only makes me think that toy did a lot of teaching.  That's what toys were suppose to do.  But now toys are seen as collectors items, or potential collector's items and sometimes it's hard to remember that wasn't their original purpose.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2018, 09:48:40 AM »
I was always very gentle with my toys. My childhood G3 ponies are near mint! But they're probably the only toys I treated so well. The majority my toys ended up broken, missing pieces, or left outside to end up faded and covered in dirt.
My niece, however, is much worse with her toys. Just about every toy she gets ends up broken, covered in stickers, and overall very beaten up within days of her getting it. Just about every pony she's gotten has ended up with frizzy, matted hair in just an hour or two. Not to mention she once ripped all the hair out of one of my G3 ponies meant for my collection...

I don't think children these days are any rougher than previous generations. If anything, it's the toys that are now more fragile than ever.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »
Main difference was probably that we had to live with the consequences - the toys were not replaced, end of. We soon learnt to either look after them, play with them 'as is'  or how to mend them :)

I think you might have something there. Ponies are rather cheap these days. Kids can get one for the cost of a couple king size candy bars. When they are that easy to replace kids don't care if they leave one out where puppy can get it or if their customization efforts go wrong.

I think part of it is, things seem less "built to last" nowadays. If that makes sense. I've noticed older toys lasting years looking just like they came fresh out of the box, but newer toys degrading very quickly.

Im not talking about degrading, I'm talking about things that are clearly intentional. (I mean I know getting chewed by a puppy isn't quite intentional but leaving toys out where a puppy can get it is so it counts).
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »
today's society focuses on convenience and fast consumerism (like what you hear in the term, "fast fashion").  most kids  only got toys as rewards for good grades/holidays/birthdays.  Not because "we were in the checkout and this just looked SO CUTE I had to buy it".

most parents in the 80's were not able to easily obtain credit the way that one can today.  the idea of racking up hundreds of dollars in debt on "plastic" was just not done.  Not unless your mom had like, a Tupperware lady that harassed her every month for more sales, LOL!

Now people are cool with paying $3 for a shirt made in a sweatshop, and they'll fill a bag with 'em, then go drink their Frappucino and play on their mobile phone.  And that shirt will get a hole or a rip or get stained within months of owning it, and out goes the customer to buy a new one...

I would say that for the vast majority of people growing up in the 80/90's, their parents were making ends meet BUT!!!  shopping wasn't a hobby to pass the time, the way it is now!  remember, no Amazon, no ebay, no flash sales and no free shipping.  we went shopping for things we couldn't make ourselves - not just because we had money in the bank or a CC that never declined...

because of this, toys and everything else are no longer manufactured to last more than a few years.  :(  Unless you are super picky about your quality and brands...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 11:54:25 AM »
I was guilty of being 'creative' with mine when I was a kid.  I dont think its a generation thing.  Id agree that much might have to do with how things are made.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal