collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: eBay seller demanding more postage money? [Resolved]  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
eBay seller demanding more postage money? [Resolved]
« on: March 25, 2018, 12:01:11 PM »
The title is a bit of a mouthful, but it sums up what I'm wondering.

I bought something on eBay and paid immediately, the seller then messaged me a day later saying the postage on the listing was wrong and I had to send them more money or they won't send my purchase. The extra postage they're asking for is double what I've paid, but it is still their responsibility as a seller to honor the sale because they entered the information wrong.

I've quoted them eBay policies and warned them that I will report them to eBay for their misconduct, but since I can't actually force them to post my purchase I was wondering if anyone could clue me into what eBay would actually do to them for the offence?

Is account suspension a possibility?
Or will eBay just give them a pathetic slap on the wrist?

As much as I would like what I bought, I'm stinking displeased about the entire ordeal - especially since the seller is ignoring me as if that will make the problem go away - I don't want to give in and pay the extra...
Is there any way I can win in this situation?

edit: And I guess if it all goes belly-up, is there anyone located in France who could help me out?

UPDATE: I received my purchase today, it was the correct item so the seller has actually honored the purchase, I'm pleasantly surprised. I think what may have happened was this: on the ebay listing it had the postage as "La Poste - Colis Economique International", but the package I received had "Priority" with tracking and signature on delivery. My suspicion is that the seller didn't realise their mistake in offering Economy and wanted to protect themselves with Priority, still not my fault. I'm glad this is over, but now I'm wondering what I should say in the feedback. It'll be neutral of course, because they did eventually honor the sale but it gave me such anxiety for several days... the lack of communication was unprofessional as well, but at least they weren't rude.

@ Taffeta - I'm glad to see you got your pony too. I'd actually seen your post and thought the same thing about the similar situations, just saw your update that it's finally resolved.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 04:21:03 AM by Tulips »
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Consequences for eBay seller demanding more postage money?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
It saddens me a lot to see that this issue is becoming frustratingly common based on the reports here...

I unfortunately don't have specific information on the consequences from the seller's perspective, but I'd also be interested to know more about this. I think such cases need to be reported. If they are really getting common, I'd love to see eBay do something against them, because IMHO sellers really shouldn't be able to just get away with such issues. Yes, it happens that you miscalculate, but the frequency recently is getting frustrating, and less and less sellers cave and just eat up the loss, which makes me think that sellers just don't care as much anymore, thinking "hey, I can just cancel". I mean, I know eBay would prefer a higher total paid because it also means more in fees, but (especially in cases like yours where the postage ends up double of what the original was) I think such cases rather end up with the buyer refusing to pay the extra and the seller cancelling. Or if the buyer pays the extra that isn't going through eBay's system, so they don't benefit from that either.

ETA: Reading back my post it sounds a little too anti-seller in general. That is not what I really meant. It is rather that these sellers should be a little more thorough when they list an item. It's also for their own sake.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 03:01:56 PM by Loona »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 04:38:55 PM »
I would definitely call eBay and find out your options before proceeding. Your seller is probably going to get a mark against their account, the sale will be cancelled and you'll be able to leave them negative feedback. But I wouldn't count on anything more happening. I doubt their account will be suspended unless this happens often, but eBay will ask for you to forward any communication, so be sure to keep the messages.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 05:02:02 AM »
It depends on how badly you want the item from that seller, because if you do go ahead and report them then you're probably not going to be getting that item.  It wouldn't hurt to check with ebay on how to go forward with this, but they might still take it into their own hands to cancel the transaction/deal with the seller themselves since their policies are being broken, rather than just tell you options on how to proceed.  Also the seller will possibly cancel the transaction  even if ebay doesn't.  I'm thinking ebay wont make the seller ship the item for the cost you were originally quoted even though that's really what should happen.
 Not saying that the seller should get away with asking you to pay more either though.  They shouldnt! That isn't right :( . If the seller makes a mistake when they quote for shipping then that's their problem and they need to deal with it , not pass it on to the buyer.  :awake:
Report the seller to ebay and ebay will check the correspondence - keep everything, so they can see the whole conversation. Ebay will do something since the seller went against the rules, but I doubt the seller will get kicked off unless this is something they regularly do. ..... and..wait... I'll stop there ...because I noticed I'm basically posting what bluerose  already posted. Sorry! I did repetition for emphasis  :blush:  :yikes:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 06:58:50 AM »
Thanks for all the information and opinions everyone. I actually have an interesting update about this case. I've been stern but not rude in my messages to them, but they hadn't replied to any of them... Until tonight, when they marked my purchase as posted and simply messaged me a tracking number without a single other word.

So it's yet to be seen whether the package I receive will contain my purchase, if anything arrives at all, but it seems I managed to make them own up to their mistake. I am honestly shocked! I was on the verge of giving up, reporting them and opening a case for a refund... I'm glad I gave them the extra day to do some soul searching and do the right thing.
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »
If the postage is legitimately more then I don't see anything wrong with the seller cancelling the transaction.  The buyer should NOT be required to pay more, and the seller shouldn't have asked that.  But the seller shouldn't be required to sell at a loss just because they made a mistake either.   This is especially the case when the postage isn't a dollar or so difference, but double what was listed.

It's great that they sent the item in the end.  But just understand it was not something they were OBLIGATED to do.  A seller can cancel a transaction for almost any reason.  eBay is not going to suspend an account because a seller canceled a transaction, because that is fully within their rights to do.  Just like it's your right not to have to pay extra postage.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 11:10:16 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline shelvesofwhimsy

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Shelvesofwhimsy
    • View Profile
    • Toy Collector & Miniature Maker
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 11:23:58 AM »
I agree that the seller should not have asked for more money. I was in an etsy situation recently where someone purchased an item from me and I had not added shipping to china. I had to cancel the sale because the shipping would have been twice what the item was worth.

I've only ever asked for more money to ship if it is someone I know well and they wont be offended.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2018, 03:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the update :bigups: not what I was expecting, but good news all the same :) :happy:   Please let us know when your parcel arrives and I hope it all works out well now :relaxed:

I do feel sorry for sellers when this happens of course - I've made the mistake as a seller myself and had to lose out on shipping costs a few times, especially when I was a newer seller. It just shouldn't be down to the buyer to pay if the seller messes up. 
I think that rule doesn't strictly apply in all selling circumstances though for the record either - say if it's a transaction between friends, someone has picked something up for another member here as a favour/ if we're dealing with other members here.... then the extra costs are something that can be discussed, though not demanded.
another situation I can think of where I personally made an exception on ebay and did send the seller extra monies was because they weren't originally shipping to my country and I asked them if they'd be willing to. It turned out it cost quite a bit more than they had expected but since I had asked them to post internationally specifically for me , and the communication was good and they were totally up front but not demanding as regards the extra, I sent it as a good will gesture.  Those are exceptions though  ;)

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2018, 05:30:57 AM »
Honestly, I think it's up to the seller to do their homework when it comes to shipping prices BEFORE they sell an item. I know that's not always easy to do. But it's a lot easier now that we have the internet, and shipping scales are relatively cheap. Plus, if it's an item that has been sold before, you can look up what they used as a shipping weight as a guide. And it's instances like these that eBay pushes free shipping. That they would rather you increase the rate of the item and push free shipping so that you don't wind up in asking the buyer to pay out of pocket or that the seller feels that they are being hit too hard with shipping, since they already added the shipping price into the price of the item.

In any case, you just cannot ask a buyer for more money. If the seller feels they just cannot pay the double, then they need to ask the buyer if it's OK to cancel the sale and tell them the reason. If the buyer WANTS to add extra money to pay for shipping, then that's another story. But if eBay just allowed sellers to demand extra shipping every time, then every seller would be doing so to avoid those nasty fees.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 08:34:46 AM »
Until you said France, I wondered if maybe you were dealing with the same seller I've been dealing with these past 2 weeks. They made a similar demand of me.

Basically I have no idea right now what is happening with my item either, I have been told it's been sent by a courier with tracking and insurance but no tracking number has been given to me or provided by any courier. It annoys me because as a seller myself if I make an error on postage, it's my bad, not the buyer's. I pay the difference. But apparently that's no longer good enough. Holding items to ransom to demand extra postage is something that seems to happen more and more of late, even though it's against ebay rules.

It's also potentially defrauding ebay because the postage amount is utilised to calculate fees on ebay as well. So by adding extra after the auction, the seller is circumventing what they owe to ebay too.

I am waiting to see what happens with mine, and if the pony arrives, then fine. But I have had a lot of complaining from my seller as if it's somehow my fault they put the wrong shipping calculation in, then my fault that they want a tracking number, and my fault for being in a different country from them. None of this endears me to my seller.

I really hope your item gets to you safely now and you can mark the transaction as a closed deal. At least you have a tracking number, which is a start. I am glad you stood your ground.

While a seller can cancel an auction, I think there's a difference between a seller cancelling an auction because they realise there's an error in shipping and a seller demanding more money from a buyer with a threat to cancel if they don't pay it. I think that would still be against ebay rules, and ebay would be interested to know a seller was trying to obtain extra funds outside of the purchase because it circumnavigates paying the full fee on the transaction, which means they also lose money.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »
I've noticed when I sell stuff on ebay- if I'm not careful- ebay puts an automatic weight in for me.... if I miss it, the weight could be wrong. (Usually too high but conceivably too low)

If I had been the seller and there was a mistake in the listing about the weight-  I would have just cancelled the listing due to... "mistake in the listing."  The seller IS allowed to do that-

The seller is not allowed to ask you for more $$. 

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Update in first post, all resolved... but what feedback to leave?
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Honestly, since they honored it and sent it and everything turned out fine, I wouldn't leave neutral or negative, I would be inclined to leave positive feedback but dock them stars in the areas of communication and shipping and write in the feedback that the seller asked for extra shipping money AFTER the sale was made.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Honestly, since they honored it and sent it and everything turned out fine, I wouldn't leave neutral or negative, I would be inclined to leave positive feedback but dock them stars in the areas of communication and shipping and write in the feedback that the seller asked for extra shipping money AFTER the sale was made.
I agree, give them positive because it DID all work out, but future buyers need to know they could possibly be asked for more shipping funds after they win an auction from this person.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
So happy your pony arrived as well!

It seems both our sellers expected us to pay extra for tracking but didn't bother to put it in the auction. But I'm happy it worked out for the both of us and neither of us ended up paying any extra :)

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal