collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM Season 8: School Daze part 1 & 2 Discussion  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
Re: FiM Season 8: School Daze part 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 09:17:32 AM »
I’ve seen better season openers, but this one was nice to see. Twilight did bring up a valid point that equestria should work with other nations. And seeing a school of friendship make its own rules was a nice way to do it. I liked the EEA idea, as it does give some structure to the equestrian way of doing things. We’ve had hints of pony teacher committees, and now we have an actual school board of equestria. Speaking of the EEA, chancellor neighsay surprised me a little. I like his character more than expected. A unicorn with the ability to create portals. I like this character, and while I don’t agree with his point of view, I like him because he has his reasons and was executed well. I would like to see much more of him in future.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 12:41:52 PM »
Sorry to say I thought this first song was AWFUL, like I-specifically-came-in-here-to-say-that awful...lol,It did not flow well to me and seemed like the lyrics were forced. I seriously thought it was like the worst song I've heard the entire series...Sorry to be so blunt with that one...
Nah, no worries! I really only remember liking the last bit of it, it reminded me of Acadeca (that...one song from Friendship Games). Lyrically? Not great, but I do like how it sounds. It did give us a great reaction image, at least.
(if i can find an hd upload of the song maybe ill be able to get it)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 11:12:52 PM »
The new characters are adorable (Ocellus is my fave, what a cutie :heart:), and the episodes themselves were enjoyable enough for me. I adore Starlight Glimmer and the scene where she gives advice to Twi was probably my favourite part.

But gosh. How bizarre lol.
Like I understand from the marketing/toy selling perspective why the school exists but in-universe it makes no sense whatsoever...
Well, the school I could see happening. I can easily see Twilight loving being a teacher.. but the rest of the mane 6? Nope...
Even in the episode none of them wanted to be a teacher. And don't they all have full time careers? :P
The whole series has been building up to them fulfilling their dreams.. Rarity has just opened a bunch of boutiques, Rainbow got in to the Wonderbolts, Fluttershy opened her animal sanctuary... so now they are giving all that up to teach? It's so weird hahaha.

(From the toy angle of course it has to be the mane 6 as the teachers. But in the show it simply doesn't work. Twilight knows plenty of ponies who would make far better, more qualified teachers... how about Sunburst or Zecora?

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
They took a cult leader and terrorist and made her Twilight's personal student.  They'll BS their way into reforming him too.

Yeah but Starlight actually adds something to the Lame Six. She's more useful to storytelling than Discord who was just reformed due to fanboy demand and has to remain a part-time  jerk in order not to overpower the ponies. Still need that excuse why he didn't help when the Storm King took over  :lol:

I'm just amused as to how bad the ponies are portrayed in FiM. They are a folk full of xenophobes and megalomaniacs.
That's why I liked the switch from "everypony" to "everycreature". The ponies adjusted to new species living amongst them. It tied in with the themes of the episodes, imo.

Also I love the students.
The shark has officially been jumped.

Imo the shark was already jumped somewhere in season one when Twilight learned that sometimes you gotta believe your friends have esoteric powers you just can't prove :angel:

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 05:19:10 PM »
So I've watched it a couple more times and have a couple more things to say.

To start, I think I like Yona the best so far. She just makes the whole Yak gimmick work for me.  ^.^
Ocellus and Sandbar are good too in my book.

Also I think the first song ["School of Friendship"] is better than the second one ["Friendship Always Wins"].
Not to say that the latter isn't good, but it sounds way too similar to "We Got This Together" from the movie, doesn't it? I'm not musically trained at all so take that with a grain of salt.

EDIT: Oh, and the term "everycreature" just doesn't sound right. I mean, I guess ponies are creatures too, but "everyone" and "everybody" have already been established.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 06:09:54 PM by TJgamer »
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 10:44:29 PM »
They took a cult leader and terrorist and made her Twilight's personal student.  They'll BS their way into reforming him too.
     Oh I hope not! Nobody is touching neighsay! He’s too evil and stubborn and by golly I love him! Anybody up for creating a chancellor neighsay fan club?
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2018, 02:23:16 AM »
Okay, being a Ghostbusters fan, I love the irony that Maurice LaMarche is playing Equestria's answer to Peck.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2018, 08:58:29 AM »
Yes, I noticed "every creature" and just had to sigh and roll my eyes.  They just need to drop it and "every pony" and just use "everyone" or "everybody".
Everypony can still work, in my opinion as it is close in sound to "everybody" so it always sounded natural to me.  They never needed an alternative to "everybody" or "everyone", because neither of those words say "I'm a human."  It sounds like the writers have fallen for the brony idea that those two phrases are too human for ponies to say.

Like I say, I like everypony, and the fact that its close to everybody makes it work for me, like it's a term that has always existed, even though it hasn't but it annoys me how the fans seem to think that they only say everypony.  So yeah, everypony, everybody, and everyone are all that are needed.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 08:18:01 AM »
Also I think the first song ["School of Friendship"] is better than the second one ["Friendship Always Wins"].
Not to say that the latter isn't good, but it sounds way too similar to "We Got This Together" from the movie, doesn't it? I'm not musically trained at all so take that with a grain of salt.

The first one I liked a lot because it just brought back that stage musical feeling. I just love musical numbers that tell a story.
I barely remember the second one :lol:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 09:19:03 AM »

One of my most favorite things in the world is when songs sound similar, so I'll give it a listen when I can.  Ultimately I think people can hear similarities to different songs, and pretty much every song has a song that sounds like it, if only a tiny part of it, which to me is beautiful.   :lovey:
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal