collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: FiM Season 8: School Daze part 1 & 2 Discussion  (Read 4117 times)

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
FiM Season 8: School Daze part 1 & 2 Discussion
« on: March 24, 2018, 02:04:38 PM »
Time to kicks off season eight with a brand new tried and true two-parter  :biggrin:

Please remember that in canon, season 8 takes place after the MLP Movie (which will be quite obvious from the episode).

School Daze Part 1:
"When the Friendship Map grows bigger to reflect the world beyond Equestria, the Mane Six realize they'll need a way to spread the message of friendship far and wide. Luckily, Twilight knows just what to do-- open a School of Friendship!"

School Daze Part 2:
"With her School of Friendship closed by the EEA, Twilight Sparkle must reunite her students, inspire her friends, and buck the rules to stand up and show what she knows is right - ever ycreature, pony or not, deserves to learn friendship together."

NOTE: Yes, some episodes have already been leaked, and every episode synopsis for season eight is available. Despite this, please refrain from discussing information about these leaks until we get to the respective episodes. Thank you!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: FiM Season 8: School Daze part 1 & 2 Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
Ah, this felt like a nice refresher. The openers have been so focused on Starlight Glimmer as of late, and she played a minor role in this. I don't hate Starlight by any means, but it was nice to see something focused just on Twilight and crew.
I do wish that the school was built to a little more. Maybe if hints had been left in season 7 it would have felt less out of left field. I did like the callback to the events of the movie and I feel like that was worked it pretty well. They also gave an explanation as to why they couldn't afford Emily Blunt didn't have Tempest! But the events of the movie aren't quite enough to drive Twilight to start up an entire school, I'd feel.
The students they brought in for the school are very fun, though. I really enjoyed the changeling child (Ocellus) and the hippogriff (Silverstream), and the yak (Yona) is pretty cute.
I did enjoy seeing an antagonist we DON'T reform for once. I hated the villain, which is fine, he's not a villain we're supposed to enjoy. He did his job, and I don't think much else of him.
I really liked the first song a lot more than the second.
Overall, I enjoyed this pretty well as an opener. Even though it came out of nowhere, I think it'll have a lot of fun scenarios take place within the school. And I hope we see a lot of the new students, as well.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 06:19:31 PM »
Not really thrilled with the premiere eps. Already knew that the plan of having the Mane Six all be teachers was going to end badly. Plus the emphasis of the EEA was unneeded given that it was so easily thrown away.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 06:23:34 PM »
I'll have to watch this again to get a feel for it.
But right now, I think it's above average.
I do like these new student characters, though I'll have to memorize their names over time.
Heh heh, I still remember when I first started watching this show. It took me a little while to remember Rarity's name (I used to think Charity or Clarity or something   :lol: ).
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 06:38:41 PM »
Wow, that was not what I expected.  I never thought I'd see so much talk about getting a school accredited on a show like this. 

It was ok.  I'm not terribly excited about it to be honest.  I want to see the ponies out having adventures not tied down with a school setting.  I do like some of the new character designs.  And it's nice that the students aren't *all* personality clones of the mane 6. 

To be honest, I really didn't like the villain in this.  And not just because we were not supposed to like him.  It came off a little too politically pointed for me and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »
The shark has officially been jumped.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 02:41:14 AM »
is this on youtube yet ? has any body got a link ?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:46:22 AM by Aflame »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 03:12:39 AM »
Spoiler

Overall I enjoyed the episodes but I do think as a season premiere, it's a bit of a let down especially after the movie,

I liked the references to the movie and that Tempest and Queen Novo were mentioned. I would have like to have seen Capper mentioned or to show up at the school. I liked seeing Mount Aris again.

I didn't like the emphasis on getting the school accredited. It seemed too real life for a fantasy show about talking magical horses and other creatures. Twilight stated herself that all creatures would be welcome at her school and it was clear the EEA rules were only meant for pony schools so  making sure they followed the rules even when Twilight's friends tried to tell her it wasn't working didn't make a lot of sense.

I enjoyed the new students especially Sandbar and Ocellus and the fact that they became friends and stuck together.

The scene with Silver Stream makes me wonder a few things. I guess Novo's pearl means the Hippogriffs can change back to their sea pony forms whenever they wish now? How long were the Hippogriffs hiding from the Storm King underwater? Was Silver Stream born underwater?

I always enjoy seeing Thorax but I was disappointed that Ember was so quick to accuse Thorax of deliberately hiding the students. I thought Ember and Thorax were supposed to be friends since they met when Spike invited both of them to Ponyville on the same day. I was also disappointed that some ponies still seem wary of Thorax. He helped save Equestria and has been ruling the Changelings for some time now, yet some ponies still think he's a suspicious character?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 03:59:00 AM »
Is there anyhuman out there who actually likes the term everycreature? I mean, I know nohuman likes everypony either, but I think everyhuman can agree that the replacement isn't exactly an improvement.

These new characters are interesting. They seemed a bit one-dimensional in this episode, so I hope future episodes will show off more of their personalities. I also hope there will still be plenty of adventure episodes.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:26:28 AM »
They used "everyone" at one point.  They should just stick with that.

And these episodes have some really dark implications.  The Equestrian education system is run by what is essentially a shadow government run by a xenophobic madman.  It explains so much about the pony culture we've seen so far.

I think I'll forego the Betsy DeVos jokes.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 05:58:23 AM »
Yes, I noticed "every creature" and just had to sigh and roll my eyes.  They just need to drop it and "every pony" and just use "everyone" or "everybody".

Post Merge: March 25, 2018, 06:00:26 AM

is this on youtube yet ? has any body got a link ?

I watched it on dailymotion.com
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:00:26 AM by Sunset »

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 06:09:41 AM »
I loved all the new students, Especially the changeling when she took on Rarity's form, it was hilarious!

I really liked the first song a lot more than the second.
Sorry to say I thought this first song was AWFUL, like I-specifically-came-in-here-to-say-that awful...lol,It did not flow well to me and seemed like the lyrics were forced. I seriously thought it was like the worst song I've heard the entire series...Sorry to be so blunt with that one...

As far as the villain, I thought he was interesting, it'll be hard to convert his bigoted ways and redeem him, should be interesting to see where they take that!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 06:12:04 AM by heftysmurf76 »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2018, 06:49:48 AM »
They took a cult leader and terrorist and made her Twilight's personal student.  They'll BS their way into reforming him too.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 06:55:40 AM »
Why don't they just say everyone or everybody instead of every creature? I thought it was funny when Thorax came up to Ocellus and said "Now what did we talk about?"

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 08:15:51 AM »
"Everycreature"?!? Seriously? Are you kidding me?? "Everypony" was bad enough, but "everycreature"-??? Seriously, what the heck is wrong with just saying "everyone"/"everybody"? :s I don't get it. Ponies have bodies! Plus it's not like we say "everyhuman".. it just sounds so stilted and silly >_<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal