collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How many ponies fit in your Ikea display?  (Read 1377 times)

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
How many ponies fit in your Ikea display?
« on: March 23, 2018, 12:18:50 AM »
Long story short: the entertainment center I've been using as pony storage is going to start being used for its intended purpose so I need a new home for my ponies! I'd love to see photos of Ikea displays and know how many ponies fit in different pieces.

I'm looking specifically at Ikea since they're affordable and highly recommended in lots of collector circles. The only problem is that my state doesn't have an Ikea store so I'm having a lot of trouble visualizing how many ponies will fit in various things. Its easy enough to fit something to the space I have available but beyond that I'm totally lost. I've got about 70 G1s I'd like to display, even if its cramped, or about 100 ponies total if I empty the entertainment center drawers (which I don't have to do). Aside from space, dust is my biggest concern since I don't have time to constantly dust ponies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: How many ponies fit in your Ikea display?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:23:39 AM »
This is a portion of my collection which are in cabinets very similar to IKEA Billy. They are only 2 cms smaller in depth but otherwise the same. I bought mine from an Australian furniture chain because until a few years ago, my state didn't have an IKEA. These were about three times more expensive so it took me a few years to buy a total of 4, replacing my old open bookcases one or two at a time. I will say this - glass door cabinets are life changing. No dusting, no pets snatching ponies off shelves at 4 AM and it just looks so much nicer and like a collection rather than a giant toy hoard.

Now my set up is not my ideal. If I end up in a larger house, I would definitely be buying several more so than my ponies aren't packed like sardines like they are now.

I use pantry riser shelves, 3 per shelf. I have three main rows of ponies. One on top, with the occasional baby in front. One row is under the riser, practically hidden where ponies I don't especially love go and one row in front of that with babies in every possible nook. I only counted one shelf but I'm assuming I have about 70 ponies on each main shelf. I have special ponies displayed more freely (the boy ponies above are an example of this) so if I were to guess, I probably have 310 ponies at most in one cabinet. If I had to fit as many as possible, I could probably get 420 in there.

With 100 ponies, your herd will definitely fit (and make my ponies jealous of all that space). I also fit many playsets in mine. These have shelves that can be moved to accommodate different heights but even so, Dream Castle and Lullaby Nursery are too wide to fit.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
Thank you so much! That's super helpful. I've got a lot of other toys too so if a Billy or something Billy-like would fit that would be pretty dang perfect.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 03:20:32 AM »
These are my two Billy bookshelves with added doors. As you can see my ponies stand pretty loosley, it's because I want to see each pf their symbols as well. But I do have over 200 of them in there.

complete by Veronica Öhman, on Flickr

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:27 AM »
Yes, you could definitely fit 100 ponies onto one Billy bookshelf comfortably. The Billy is the best space for value ratio of ikea shelves imo. My entire 700+ ponies and playsets are all displayed on Billy bookshelves.

Elf

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2018, 08:46:52 AM »
You can fit quite a few on the Billy shelves, yes! I'm pretty sure mine are Billy anyway, don't really remember. I got mine in black with glass shelves and glass doors. I thought the white washed out the ponies too much. I think they stand out more on black shelves, personally. ^-^

Here's a couple of super quick terrible/blurry pics of my two pony cabinets. But you can still see they fit quite a few ponies. ;)  I use risers for the back row so everyone can be seen.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 12:23:24 PM »
My pony wall of Billy!  I have limited space so had to really cram as many as possible in there!  Average 12 adults per row x 3 rows per shelf = 36.  Then 6 shelves per cabinet (36 x 6) = approx. 216 adults per larger cabinet (the top piece with the merchandise is extra like adding doors).

There are 2 larger cabinets and one half sized here:

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 07:49:30 PM »
I don't have the lovely Billy shelves just yet, but I do use IKEA for my ponies. I have the longest LACK shelf which is just the right depth for the G4 castles or a stepping spice shelf to allow for a equal size step at the shelf level.

I also have the DETOLF cabinet. It's great foe 360 viewing.

Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+82)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 04:02:19 AM »
I'm so sorry my images are side ways.  I posted from my phone and they were the right away and even when I double checked my image host, it's the right way, even resized.  Not sure why it's side ways but boy am I embarrassed.
Follow me on Instagram: @theponiesiownies
Most wanted: Nursery Families white bathtub.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 04:48:10 PM »
Thank you guys! I've had my eye on Detolfs for ages and now I'm wondering if one of those, or something similar, might fit in my boyfriend and I's room. Lack shelves would probably be perfect for the shelving we want to add in our room too!

I still think a Billy or similar would probably be the best option for the ponies though, since they'll be in the living/game/nerd room. That way its not quite 100% ponies from all angles. I may love full glass but my roommates would not, haha.

And don't worry about the sideways pictures reddsetgogirl! They're still very helpful :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal