collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions about Hosting a Meetup  (Read 438 times)

Offline dakotadarkhooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
Questions about Hosting a Meetup
« on: March 22, 2018, 07:15:36 PM »
Hi there,

Sorry for making another thread in here so soon after my other one, and I hope this is the right place to ask this. I'd really love to meet other collectors from Oklahoma/nearby states, and since there aren't any planned meets that I can see in this general area I was interested in possibly hosting my own. So I was wondering...what sort of public location would be the best place for a meetup, in general?

I'm mostly wondering this since I live on what is essentially a small farm, and I also have house pets, so I know that might not be doable for people with hay/animal allergies.

Now I was in the BJD community quite heavily a few years ago, and I know people occasionally held the meets at anime conventions, cafes, malls, parks, etc. But I haven't the slightest clue what pony meets are like, since I've never even been to one.

Any input would be much appreciated! Also, if you live in Oklahoma, Texas, or the surrounding states, I'd love to hear any location suggestions and get a feel for the interest in a possible meetup in the future!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by me, sig by tailrustedtealeaf! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline reddsetgogirl

• Trade Count: (+83)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
Re: Questions about Hosting a Meetup
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 02:36:28 PM »
Parks are still pretty common for pony meets. Often everyone will bring their own picnic lunch or will bring something to share with everyone. It depends on how big you want the event to be. If it looks like you will have a good turn out with most people bringing things to sell and trade, you may want to look into locations that allow you to hire a room like a library or community centre.

The meets I go to these days are at people's houses. After a few public meets, people usually feel safe and ok with hosting them in their house or going to another's house. I've known my local pony community for years though.
Follow me on Instagram: @bargainbinredhead

Offline dakotadarkhooves

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 05:45:58 PM »
Parks are still pretty common for pony meets. Often everyone will bring their own picnic lunch or will bring something to share with everyone. It depends on how big you want the event to be. If it looks like you will have a good turn out with most people bringing things to sell and trade, you may want to look into locations that allow you to hire a room like a library or community centre.

The meets I go to these days are at people's houses. After a few public meets, people usually feel safe and ok with hosting them in their house or going to another's house. I've known my local pony community for years though.

Ah excellent advice! I don't expect a very large turnout for my first one, since I'm in an odd location, but I already have two or three other people who are interested in meeting up. So a park might be best, and then maybe if there are more later on I can look at renting a space for sales.

My family also has a huge barn that has been turned into almost a pseudo-family karaoke bar (my parents love karaoke lol) that would have plenty of space to set up tables for selling, trading, activities etc. And of course if anyone felt like doing karaoke we're all set  :silly:

Eventually it would be awesome to host it there, provided nobody has any bad allergies that would be affected by the proximity to the hay/horses.

Thanks so much for the input!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 05:52:33 PM »
Our group used to meet at Libraries and occasionally people's houses-

The Library is a good option (at least in WA) since there are a lot of community rooms we can sign up for online first come/first serve-

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 07:03:53 PM »
One meet I went to that was in a room at a library, it was okay until the end where we had to pretend we weren't using money to buy things earlier that day o.O I guess they didn't think we would be selling/buying things using cash ^-^"" oops!

Ombyshadow

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • Rapunzel Pony
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 11:34:43 PM »
You have a karaoke barn? That is amazing! I will be back with real thoughts on this subject, i am on my phone, and I have lots of thoughts!

I'm back!
The first meet I went to was at someone's home, but it is very intimidating to invite strangers into your home. The cleaning! Oh, the cleaning!
Minnesota has hosted meets at a gun club, a public meeting space, and people's homes. Out of all of those, the homes have been the best. But if I were hosting a meet and didn't have space in my home, or wasn't comfortable with a house full of pony people, I would look at local churches, schools, and libraries (like someone else mentioned.) I know a lot of places near me that I could rent for $100 a day or less, and if you split that up among all the attendees, it really isn't that bad. I would pay $10 to go to a pony meet.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:25:06 PM by Aurora »
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2018, 05:48:40 PM »
I've never held a pony meet, but I do know of a few options for open spaces.

Most libraries have areas you can schedule for events. In my area, the rooms are free so long as you let anyone wander in and out. I've never checked if they have rules about buying/selling.

If someone lives in an apartment, it's possible there's a clubhouse or other area that can be reserved for an event. Mine has a clubhouse near the pool that I am now considering for a pony meet, if I can find anyone in Colorado interested in attending one.

Offline dakotadarkhooves

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 10:58:12 PM »
Our group used to meet at Libraries and occasionally people's houses-

The Library is a good option (at least in WA) since there are a lot of community rooms we can sign up for online first come/first serve-

Hm alright, thanks :D I'll look into some local libraries as an option.

One meet I went to that was in a room at a library, it was okay until the end where we had to pretend we weren't using money to buy things earlier that day o.O I guess they didn't think we would be selling/buying things using cash ^-^"" oops!

Oh goodness haha, I'll definitely have to double-check and make sure selling/trading items is okay at the venue I rent, then. Thanks!

You have a karaoke barn? That is amazing! I will be back with real thoughts on this subject, i am on my phone, and I have lots of thoughts!

I'm back!
The first meet I went to was at someone's home, but it is very intimidating to invite strangers into your home. The cleaning! Oh, the cleaning!
Minnesota has hosted meets at a gun club, a public meeting space, and people's homes. Out of all of those, the homes have been the best. But if I were hosting a meet and didn't have space in my home, or wasn't comfortable with a house full of pony people, I would look at local churches, schools, and libraries (like someone else mentioned.) I know a lot of places near me that I could rent for $100 a day or less, and if you split that up among all the attendees, it really isn't that bad. I would pay $10 to go to a pony meet.

Hehe yeah we originally fixed it up for my stepdad since he's a trucker and needed a place to relax when he gets time off. Also he and my mom are like adorable newlyweds and go out to do karaoke together a lot whenever he's home, so my mom bought him a whole setup and my sister and I helped her build a stage and dance floors for the barn. We even have neon signs and stuff out there lol! It's pretty neat.

Ah yeah, I would be a little nervous. I live with my family in a little farmhouse too so I think the only place that would be big enough to host in would be the barn anyways. So maybe a public place would be best for the first one. Thank you so much for the suggestions and advice, I really appreciate it!

I've never held a pony meet, but I do know of a few options for open spaces.

Most libraries have areas you can schedule for events. In my area, the rooms are free so long as you let anyone wander in and out. I've never checked if they have rules about buying/selling.

If someone lives in an apartment, it's possible there's a clubhouse or other area that can be reserved for an event. Mine has a clubhouse near the pool that I am now considering for a pony meet, if I can find anyone in Colorado interested in attending one.

Ooh, thanks for the input! Much appreciated.