collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best hair products for ponies?  (Read 2090 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Best hair products for ponies?
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:57:00 AM »
Thank you everyone, for all of the great suggestions! ^_^

I’ve worked with a lot of combs and brushes through the years... I used to style high-quality synthetic wigs a lot, and I quickly learned which methods were safe for maintaining them. This know-how has tranlated beautifully to caring for doll hair.

First off, save brushes as a last resort. Combs are much less damaging, and offer more control. Also, there are a whole lotta combs out there, and you should have various types on hand for different uses.

Personally, I have two steel combs (actually designed for dog grooming, lol), each with differently spaced teeth. These are handy for use in boil-straightening/de-frizzing, as the teeth are very rigid and don’t bend or soften. I also have a menagerie of plastic combs, some cheap and some higher end, in a multitude of sizes and makes. Other useful tools include flea combs, toothbrushes (great for fluffing plush!), hair-dye applicators, etc. :)

Cleaning synthetic hair is... not really my forte, though. XD Unlike ponies and dolls, most theatrical wigs will never be played with in sandboxes, bathtubs, dusty playgrounds, and sticky tables, nor smeared with fingerpaints and markers. ;)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 11:00:42 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline heftysmurf76

• Big Brother Pony
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 08:46:40 PM »
I want to try teh wig conditioner now!

I swear by Pantene, and even better Pantene for Women of color

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:10 AM »
I use Tresemme shampoo and conditioner for coloured hair when washing pony hair. It's worked very well. I don't like using dish soap on hair if I can help it as I find that for me it dries out the hair a lot. I do also straighten hair and for that I use the tresemme heat protective spray. It really helps compared to before when I didn't use it. I also have a fine-toothed comb handy and make sure that the hair is a straight as possible between 'runs'. I thought that TAF Milky Way's tail was unsalvageable, but washing and combing it out first and then using this method with the hair straightener made such a difference. However, I don't think it would be a good idea to leave this spray in the hair, so what I then do afterwards is wash and condition and style as usual, making sure I rinse everything out. Here are before and after. No heat was used to set the curl:

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:46 AM »
Good job on the tail NightGliderSA...but what's up with her horn?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Her original horn was chomped, so she has had a new one moulded on top  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal