collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Media Retrospective: Escape From Catrina  (Read 5772 times)

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Media Retrospective: Escape From Catrina
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »
Reading through this discussion gave me a little mini-story idea that I just had to write down. Hope it's okay to post this here! I've often thought it would be awesome to see more of Catrina's story!

Spoiler
Another idyllic Dream Valley afternoon, the sun shining, the ponies playing. The doors to Dream Castle's throne room were opened, and Majesty lounged contentedly – but majestically, of course – on her golden throne. A light breeze toyed with her blue and white mane as she leaned forward to sip at the cool drink Fizzy had provided her with. Catrina sat at her side, a place she often occupied these days. Since Catrina’s redemption and Majesty's return from wherever it was she wandered when she was not in Ponyland, the two seemed to have struck up quite a friendship.

“It was all about power, really,” said Catrina, gesturing vaguely with her own drink. She wasn't sure how they had come to be talking about the witchweed potion, but Majesty didn’t seem to mind. “I wanted power, to be powerful. I wanted control. I didn't want to be that cute and cuddly kitten, that goody two-shoes, any more. The town where I was brought up....it was very much a place where girls did what they were told.”

“You wanted to rebel,” suggested Majesty.

“Wanted to, yes. But I hadn't the faintest idea how to go about it. I was weak. Especially compared to Rep. I was jealous of his magic abilities. He thinks them so unimportant himself, he wastes them. If I could do the things he can....”

“Magic is a mere accident of birth,” said Majesty, “You are far more important to Rep than his shapeshifting skills; he's devoted to you. Although I notice you haven’t spoken much to him since the costume party.”

Catrina shrugged. “I didn't feel like myself that night, and yet he seemed perfectly happy with who I was. He was glad I was his Catrina again, the one he fell in love with. But I'm not sure I've ever been that Catrina, not really. The witchweed potion showed me a different side to myself. It made me feel good. Strong. As if I could do anything, be anything!”

“At the expense of others, if necessary,” said Majesty, wryly, “It caused you to almost enslave my subjects. You'll forgive me if I don't look too kindly on it.” She sighed. “A lot seems to have happened to them while I was away. I wonder if I dare ever leave them again.”

“But was it really so wrong?” said Catrina, talking almost to herself, “I know I took too much of the stuff, and it clouded my judgement. But if I were to just take a little, I wonder – I mean, hypothetically speaking, of course. Power doesn't have to be evil.”

“I think witchweed potion is something you can’t just take 'a little' of,” said Majesty, “A little quickly becomes a little more. One sip and there’s no turning back. Don't look at me like that, Catrina. I'm not some sheltered princess, I did have a life before I became Queen of the Ponies. I've seen things. Oh, Catrina – I don't know that power is what you think it is. There's a strength in sweetness just as much as in brute force. Do you really need to enhance what nature has given you to be yourself?”

“That’s easy for you to say, you've got the most magical horn in Ponyland. You can blast anyone you want to kingdom come.”

“I could, but I don't. If I blasted everyone I wanted to, this land would probably be empty. One has to have a little self-control.”

Catrina nodded almost eagerly. “That’s what I lacked. If I could do it all again....”

“But self-control is the very thing that potions like the witchweed take away,” said Majesty, gently, “You should go to see the Moochick. He knows more about potions than me, he can explain these things to you.” Majesty looked at her friend perceptively. “He might be able to give you something for the night-terrors and the shaking.”

Catrina shrugged this off. “I’m all right. I had it once before when we ran out of the potion – a long time ago, before we got the Bushwoolies in. It will pass.”

“You have more strength than you know, Catrina. There is a type of power that has nothing to do with controlling lightning bolts and storm clouds, and you have it in plenty.”

Catrina sighed. It was easy for Majesty to say these things: Majesty, who had magic and self-confidence and a kingdom. Majesty most likely did not even know what uncertainty was. Catrina felt uncertain all the time these days: uncertain and weak. The world had made so much more sense when she had had the potion. She always knew exactly what to do, and had the power to do it. If only she could have that feeling again, she would use it properly, use it to make herself the best she could be.

All was not lost. After the first time they had run out of the potion, she had taken to keeping a bottle hidden for a true emergency, a bottle even Rep did not know about. She still had it. Only a small bottle, but a drop would do. Half a drop. If she had the old powers back again, she would not even need to use them. Just knowing she had them would be enough. She would be herself again, not this pale helpless shadow.

Majesty was still talking: dispensing wisdom in that slightly didactic way she had, as if Catrina were one of her little ponies. A foolish way to carry on, when they could be equals. What if she was simply afraid of Catrina being stronger than her?

“All will be well in time, Catrina,” said Majesty, “I know it's a long and dark road. But I think you will come out of it with strengths you didn't even know you possessed. Just give it time.”

Time, yes. There would be time later to sneak away to the place deep in the forest where she had hidden that bottle. No one would think anything of it if she just went for a little walk by herself. And then....

“Yes, Majesty,” said Catrina, and Majesty felt pleased to see such a genuine smile on the catwoman's face, “Yes, you're right. I must just give it time.”

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »
RaMC is a good introduction to the pony world, an oasis of sunshine amongst fearsome beasts, evil wizards and other horrors. And here we have a wicked cat sorceress who shoots frickin' lightning bolts out of her eyes and enslaves a race of fluffballs so they can extract her...Witch Weed. Incredible, take me to the 80s.

I like Megan's interactions with the ponies (but I agree that giving the Rainbow of Light to Baby Moondancer was a bad idea), Rep's transformation abilities, how Baby Moondancer non-chalantly walks away after kicking him . I also enjoy Catrina's voice: "I WANT you to be my SLAAAVES... If I spare the Rainbow... will you be my SLAAAAVES?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »
Reading through this discussion gave me a little mini-story idea that I just had to write down. Hope it's okay to post this here! I've often thought it would be awesome to see more of Catrina's story!

Spoiler
Another idyllic Dream Valley afternoon, the sun shining, the ponies playing. The doors to Dream Castle's throne room were opened, and Majesty lounged contentedly – but majestically, of course – on her golden throne. A light breeze toyed with her blue and white mane as she leaned forward to sip at the cool drink Fizzy had provided her with. Catrina sat at her side, a place she often occupied these days. Since Catrina’s redemption and Majesty's return from wherever it was she wandered when she was not in Ponyland, the two seemed to have struck up quite a friendship.

“It was all about power, really,” said Catrina, gesturing vaguely with her own drink. She wasn't sure how they had come to be talking about the witchweed potion, but Majesty didn’t seem to mind. “I wanted power, to be powerful. I wanted control. I didn't want to be that cute and cuddly kitten, that goody two-shoes, any more. The town where I was brought up....it was very much a place where girls did what they were told.”

“You wanted to rebel,” suggested Majesty.

“Wanted to, yes. But I hadn't the faintest idea how to go about it. I was weak. Especially compared to Rep. I was jealous of his magic abilities. He thinks them so unimportant himself, he wastes them. If I could do the things he can....”

“Magic is a mere accident of birth,” said Majesty, “You are far more important to Rep than his shapeshifting skills; he's devoted to you. Although I notice you haven’t spoken much to him since the costume party.”

Catrina shrugged. “I didn't feel like myself that night, and yet he seemed perfectly happy with who I was. He was glad I was his Catrina again, the one he fell in love with. But I'm not sure I've ever been that Catrina, not really. The witchweed potion showed me a different side to myself. It made me feel good. Strong. As if I could do anything, be anything!”

“At the expense of others, if necessary,” said Majesty, wryly, “It caused you to almost enslave my subjects. You'll forgive me if I don't look too kindly on it.” She sighed. “A lot seems to have happened to them while I was away. I wonder if I dare ever leave them again.”

“But was it really so wrong?” said Catrina, talking almost to herself, “I know I took too much of the stuff, and it clouded my judgement. But if I were to just take a little, I wonder – I mean, hypothetically speaking, of course. Power doesn't have to be evil.”

“I think witchweed potion is something you can’t just take 'a little' of,” said Majesty, “A little quickly becomes a little more. One sip and there’s no turning back. Don't look at me like that, Catrina. I'm not some sheltered princess, I did have a life before I became Queen of the Ponies. I've seen things. Oh, Catrina – I don't know that power is what you think it is. There's a strength in sweetness just as much as in brute force. Do you really need to enhance what nature has given you to be yourself?”

“That’s easy for you to say, you've got the most magical horn in Ponyland. You can blast anyone you want to kingdom come.”

“I could, but I don't. If I blasted everyone I wanted to, this land would probably be empty. One has to have a little self-control.”

Catrina nodded almost eagerly. “That’s what I lacked. If I could do it all again....”

“But self-control is the very thing that potions like the witchweed take away,” said Majesty, gently, “You should go to see the Moochick. He knows more about potions than me, he can explain these things to you.” Majesty looked at her friend perceptively. “He might be able to give you something for the night-terrors and the shaking.”

Catrina shrugged this off. “I’m all right. I had it once before when we ran out of the potion – a long time ago, before we got the Bushwoolies in. It will pass.”

“You have more strength than you know, Catrina. There is a type of power that has nothing to do with controlling lightning bolts and storm clouds, and you have it in plenty.”

Catrina sighed. It was easy for Majesty to say these things: Majesty, who had magic and self-confidence and a kingdom. Majesty most likely did not even know what uncertainty was. Catrina felt uncertain all the time these days: uncertain and weak. The world had made so much more sense when she had had the potion. She always knew exactly what to do, and had the power to do it. If only she could have that feeling again, she would use it properly, use it to make herself the best she could be.

All was not lost. After the first time they had run out of the potion, she had taken to keeping a bottle hidden for a true emergency, a bottle even Rep did not know about. She still had it. Only a small bottle, but a drop would do. Half a drop. If she had the old powers back again, she would not even need to use them. Just knowing she had them would be enough. She would be herself again, not this pale helpless shadow.

Majesty was still talking: dispensing wisdom in that slightly didactic way she had, as if Catrina were one of her little ponies. A foolish way to carry on, when they could be equals. What if she was simply afraid of Catrina being stronger than her?

“All will be well in time, Catrina,” said Majesty, “I know it's a long and dark road. But I think you will come out of it with strengths you didn't even know you possessed. Just give it time.”

Time, yes. There would be time later to sneak away to the place deep in the forest where she had hidden that bottle. No one would think anything of it if she just went for a little walk by herself. And then....

“Yes, Majesty,” said Catrina, and Majesty felt pleased to see such a genuine smile on the catwoman's face, “Yes, you're right. I must just give it time.”

That's really good Shaz.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2018, 03:26:41 PM »

Great story Shaz. :)

Here's a pic of the back of the VHS box.

Spoiler
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4782/3916visitors can't see pics , please register or login
[

If the nursery and Dream Castle are just steps away from each other, why was only Megan able to hear Baby Moondancer's cries for help?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2018, 02:28:18 AM »
The other thing that annoys me about her right at the end (besides her wavering voice) is that she needs reassurance from Rep that she's beautiful. Really?  "Hmm, could be awkward going to a party where I tried to enslave everyone, but anyway the most important thing is: am I hot?"  Catrina, I'm begging you, do the drugs.  Do all the drugs.  :P

This is basically my thoughts as well!  :lol:

I do wish Firefly was in it, though.  Her toy actually WAS sold this year (brought back from the previous year with new, curly hair) so I don't really get why she was excluded.  (Moondancer, Glory, Applejack, Bow-Tie, and Medley were also sold this year.)

And Skydancer wasn't even sold that year, but I guess since the first rainbow set missed their chance of appearing in the previous special, they stuck her in this one. I feel it would have changed very little if they switched Skydancer for Firefly, she barely had any lines anyway. Maybe that was the plan originally, but Hasbro mandated to push as many new toys as possible.

Posey sounds British?  Is it just me?  Not that she has a lot of lines . . .

Yeah, very different portrayal from the TV series. It's kinda maybe(?) implied she's the baby ponies' "nanny", so that could be the rationale behind the british accent?

Spoiler

Nicely written! I feel like Majesty might also have been a little prone to abusing her power at times. She can probably relate.  :biggrin:

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2018, 02:47:48 PM »
At the parade of costumes there are sea ponies in the fountain that look like Bowtie, Firefly, Applejack Medley and Bubbles. Baby Surprise, Baby Glory and Cotton Candy walk down the stairs twice, once right after Sparkler and then again right before Catrina and Rep. Posey wears Lights, Camera, Action and Lickety Split wears Satin n Lace.  But there is another Posey wearing Pony Luv and another Lickety Split  wearing Party Time  :lol:

Tammy Grimes is also the voice of Molly Grue in The Last Unicorn.

Ponyfan

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »
And Skydancer wasn't even sold that year

WOW . . . I've watched EfC soooo many times and that never occurred to me, but you're right!  Skydancer is a Year 2 pony!  So it really doesn't make any sense not to have Firefly bringing Megan in . . .

Great story, Shaz!  <3
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
Was Skydancer ever part of the mail offer? Although let's not forget that some of this was in production long before it actually came out. She's not one of the rereleased rainbows, is she?

Maybe they just thought she was pretty, or added to the colour palette.

The discussion on Posey's accent - please no. British people don't talk like that. And there's no such thing as a British accent, because Britain is 4 countries, not just England anyway. What you guys really mean is an English accent, but there are a lot of English dialects and none of them sound like Posey. The voice artist overenunciates her syllables, that's all.

The nanny comment was wrong on so many levels that I am not even going to start.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 06:48:16 PM »
I had the same thought about rereleased Rainbows, but Skydancer wasn't brought over to Year 3.  (The Rainbow ponies who were moved forward were Starshine, Parasol, and Windy.)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2018, 02:21:14 AM »
WOW . . . I've watched EfC soooo many times and that never occurred to me, but you're right!  Skydancer is a Year 2 pony!  So it really doesn't make any sense not to have Firefly bringing Megan in . . .

It does bother be on some level (not in a serious way :lol:), since both of these specials follow a pretty clear pattern in which ponies they feature, and Skydancer is the only one who goes against it.

The discussion on Posey's accent - please no. British people don't talk like that. And there's no such thing as a British accent, because Britain is 4 countries, not just England anyway. What you guys really mean is an English accent, but there are a lot of English dialects and none of them sound like Posey. The voice artist overenunciates her syllables, that's all.

The nanny comment was wrong on so many levels that I am not even going to start.

My apologies. I meant to say that could've been the stereotype they were going for, not that there is anything good or valid about the stereotype itself. The American pop culture version of "British" is kind of its own thing, separate from anything that exists in the real world.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 02:23:57 AM by SpikeTheDragon »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2018, 02:34:00 AM »
Apology accepted. And yes it is, but that doesn't mean it's right to reinforce it,

It's a genuine twitch of mine. I hate the term "British accent", especially when it's blatantly not British at all. Like someone was talking recently about Rarity as being more "British", but she's still not.

The voice itself isn't offensive at all. Nor is Posey. Just the stereotype assumptions that that must be "British", because it denies the different cultures here (both regionally and in terms of each country) and condenses them into some kind of "same".

I hate to think what a British accent would sound like. Even if you mixed the most standard English, Scottish, Northern Irish and Welsh accents you'd get something pretty horrendous I think... :pout:
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
I guess I can kind of relate. Since I'm from Sweden, and the "Nordic accent" is also a very specific thing in American pop culture, despite the fact that no one from any nordic country would actually sound like that when speaking English. And all of northern europe tends to be jumbled together when it comes to culture and language, despite being very different in real life. :biggrin:

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:12 AM »
It's the "accent" similar to Heat Throb's where syllables are over pronounced.  Though, with Heart Throb there was a point since she was supposed to be over-dramatic.  Posey, I have no idea.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2018, 05:57:33 PM »
Another thing I realized The escape mentioned in the title probably refers to the Bushwoolies instead of Megan and the ponies. Baby Moondancer was the only pony kidnapped by Catrina and the other ponies went in the cave to find Baby Moondancer.

Ponyfan

Offline Bekuno

• Starstruck
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Space Pony Enthusiast.
    • View Profile
    • Art Website
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 08:31:39 PM »
Sorry I'm late with the next discussion, some IRL troubles are getting in the way of me getting a chance to rewatch the film. I'll try to have it up soon!
Avatar was drawn by tumblr user Yomirs, sig by LordBlumiere and Sweetpop!  :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal