collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you deal with writer's blcok?  (Read 678 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
How do you deal with writer's blcok?
« on: March 16, 2018, 07:32:30 PM »
Hi,

I've been working on a writing project for quite some time. I like the characters and the basic plot but I've noticed lately when I try to write new sections one of two things seems to happen. I either think of something really good but by the time I get to where I can type it in to the story I find that I can't think of what my good idea was anymore or I can't think of stuff to add. I've tried taking a long break from the project and then returning only when inspiration strikes. What do you do when you have writer's block?

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Wild Raspberry

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Be the change you want to see.
    • View Profile
Re: How do you deal with writer's blcok?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 09:19:19 PM »
I don't have much experience in this area because my main problem is that I can never get started with that idea but here is my advice.

I listen to music – soundtracks and inspirational instrumental stuff

I go to Pinterest to make boards to help me visualize my characters if I am having a hard time connecting with them

I re-read what I have already written. This helps me get back into the rhythm of things and reminds me how much fun they had with the story and characters so far.

One day I hope to have a plot that become more than a short story or novella, but for now they are all too small. :)

Good luck with your writing! And always, always write for yourself.

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:13 PM »
I keep notes, sometimes multiple notes, for each work / fic I have brewing.  Whenever I have a good idea, be it a line of dialog, a scene, a personality trait, plot twist, *anything*, I immediately go to the computer (or nearest piece of paper if the computer is out of reach) and write it down.  Immediately.  That's the important part.  Do not pass Go, do not collect 200$, go straight to the nearest writable surface and make notes.  Make it a habit.

Later I'll organize them into things like backstory / world building, plot points, and scenes, and toss out or rework conflicting ideas.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 10:50:46 PM »
Look for some new inspiration or take a break for a few days. Sometimes meditating and visualizing works for me. Sometimes I will discuss with another writer.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 05:20:50 AM »
Don't force yourself to write in order.

If you have an idea for a great scene, write that scene. Then save it and put it aside for later. If you then get back to writing, you will have that idea set aside to work into your writing when you're ready.

Too many people get bogged down in trying to write their story from start to finish and lose ideas along the way. Obviously continuity is great, but you can tweak scenes to fit what you've done at a later date.

Always write the scene that inspires you when it does, and work out how to link it together later :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 12:38:29 PM »
Thank you everyone.  :) I try to be more scene centered than plot centered when I'm writing but that often leads to rewriting the same scene 10 or more times sometimes only changing the characters that interact together or their dialogue. I tried to share my writer with another writer once but they criticized it for seeming to have no plot (I sent them a short scene that takes place in the middle of the story) and for having too many characters (There were 5 characters present in that scene but one didn't speak.)

Ponyfan

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 01:57:48 PM »
I use to write all the time.  The thing that has helped me in the past was a notebook to carry my ideas.  If I had inspiration from something in particular, it was saved in the notebook for later.  You will find many authors carry a small notebook full of experiences that they later use in their writing.  The fast paced world we live in now can cause recall and creativity issues. I have often felt that our technological world has crowded our minds to such an extent that time away from everything would benefit the creative mind greatly.  However, this has been the case with many authors throughout history even without our technological advances.  Real life just crowds the creative mind.
One other thing I have done in the past was record myself telling stories to children since my main audience has always been children.  My idea was that if I lost their attention with something I just thought up, it wasn't going to end up being good in print either.  I don't write anymore, but I still get asked to tell a story. I have to make one up right then.  I so enjoy doing it.  My arms and hands will not allow me to write.  I have lost so many hobbies.  I am so happy to hear you enjoy writing.
There was a time long ago that I had the opportunity to learn from an established children's writer.  She drew out for me how a book should be formed.  There is a process she goes through where she comes up with the plot first and puts that in a circle.  Then she creates characters and the beginning along with a climax and the end of her story.  This building process is done before she even starts writing.  She was amazing.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 06:34:41 PM »
Thank you Tulagirl. So I guess my main problem is that I need to carry something to write quick notes or scenes when I’m unable to get to a computer right away and not try to force my writing if I’m uninspired.

Ponyfan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal