collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I got a chicken. And EGGS! Updated photos pg 4  (Read 8183 times)

Offline Wild Raspberry

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Be the change you want to see.
    • View Profile
Re: I got a chicken.
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2018, 12:41:57 PM »
I hope she recovers!  Chickens are so cool.  When I lived in Australia one of our cats thought she'd stalk and pounce our hens but they ganged up on her and chased her up a tree!
:lol: :lol: :lol: GO chickens!! :cheer:

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »
I hope she did survive the night. Good on you for saving her :).

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2018, 02:36:05 PM »
Poor chicken-lady, I'm glad you saved her.  Commercial chicken processing is just so brutal and ugly...

We love our girls!  They are nearly 9 now but still cranking out an egg (every so often, haha)  (one of the girls did pass away so now we have just 2)

They are cute and funny animals
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There are people around where we live who got some rescue chickens (factory chickens).  They looked better every year - and they did not explode. (I have never heard of that?)

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2018, 03:16:15 PM »
Wild Rasberry and Marlin, sadly I don't know the breed, I have just always heard the term broiler chicken, so I'm not sure.  She's just a white eating chicken, LOL!  I hope she dosen't explode.  My doctor did mention that, while trying to get her to walk again, that she was too top heavy because she's been so bred and pumped full food and things to get her to market.  He says hopefully with exercise and some weight loss she can move around better.
Well, it's 6:30am here, shortly I'll be heading down to the barn to see if she made it through the night.
I agree that it sounds like a leghorn. The boilers are SO far they can't walk and have usually lost all of their feathers from lying around. I have quite few friends that raise them for 4-H and they are so nasty. But the leghorns are really sweet. My friend has one that in 9 years old.
either a leghorn or a cornish cross those get huge fast for eating.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
I loved my chickens.  They were awesomely sweet pets.  The longest-living one simply wanted to cuddle on your lap and have her wattles rubbed.  She made happy chicken noises... it was so calming...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »
It is alive!  I don't know if she knows how to drink water out of a bowl, as I have yet to see her eat or drink.  I think they they have those drip systems in the poultry houses.  She does not like me.  I cannot pet or hold her.  So much for being appreciative.  Now I have to figure out what to do with her.  I thought we had a pen behind the barn, but turns out my parents gave it away, so she is temporarily in the horse stall. 

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 02:54:47 PM »
Yah that she made it through the night! And lol that she doesn't like you  :biggrin:  Poor little thing - she's probably been through an awful lot and no human to date has given her any reason to feel predisposed to them. But earning her trust will be such an amazing and rewarding process if you can get that far.

She's probably been fed either pellets or mash her whole life so it probably goes without saying but try to match what she may have had (pellets will go to a mash like texture with a little soaking). If she's not eating that's not a great sign but if she's showing an interest hopefully you can move forward from there  ^.^  And if she's thirsty enough, I'm sure her instincts will lead her to the water, even if it's in a bowl.

One of my batt hens, Agnes, was a tough 'egg' to crack initially (lol). I think she'd been hard boiled for about 5 hours straight. I almost changed her name to battleaxe. But I worked on her ever so steadily an she's a real sweetheart now. Still hates being handled but I can tickle her tail feathers no trouble now and the first day she ate out of my hand is one I'll forever treasure. Fingers crossed for you moving forward with your little one! Even if you can't keep her maybe you'll find someone happy to take her on once she's well enough :)

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 02:55:47 PM »
It is alive!  I don't know if she knows how to drink water out of a bowl, as I have yet to see her eat or drink.  I think they they have those drip systems in the poultry houses.  She does not like me.  I cannot pet or hold her.  So much for being appreciative.  Now I have to figure out what to do with her.  I thought we had a pen behind the barn, but turns out my parents gave it away, so she is temporarily in the horse stall.

Yay! If you can get close enough without being pecked, try dipping her beak into the water bowl. She probably has never been around people before, poor thing  :(

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2018, 03:17:38 PM »
I''m glad she survived the night, I'm sure she'll come around in time once she realizes you aren't going to harm her. I'd love to have chickens, love hearing those cute little clucks.
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
Awww sweet little feral chicken!  It will take her some time to figure out the new space... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »
I'm happy to hear she's still alive, she deserve a better life. All of these deserve it.

I use to hatch an egg with a group of friends (it's a long story) and take care of the chick... she did SO MUCH things with us, she get to the road with us, entered the house and acted like an usual pet :biggrin:. Saddly she died after 2 years, we still don't know why.

Well keep us on update with yours!

Blog / Facebook Page

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2018, 04:49:16 PM »
Aw, poor girl :( Her life until now was probably horrible. I hope she comes around soon.

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline cookifaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • My real pony is jealous of my vinyl ponies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
Wild Rasberry and Marlin, sadly I don't know the breed, I have just always heard the term broiler chicken, so I'm not sure.  She's just a white eating chicken, LOL!  I hope she dosen't explode.  My doctor did mention that, while trying to get her to walk again, that she was too top heavy because she's been so bred and pumped full food and things to get her to market.  He says hopefully with exercise and some weight loss she can move around better.
Well, it's 6:30am here, shortly I'll be heading down to the barn to see if she made it through the night.

She sounds like she could be a Ross Cobb chicken. They're really heavy and stocky and their legs are prone to giving way occasionally, but with some love they always come back around. We've had quite a few and its very hard to make them loose weight. They are naturally heavy and good doers, even if they haven't been bred for meat, they can get fat off air :lol: I hope she makes it ok!

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 11:27:59 PM »
Yaaay! So glad she's alive! Hopefully she'll come around when it comes to food and drink.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2018, 11:29:44 PM »
I’m glad she’s doing alright! I like eating chicken, but we need a serious overhaul of the processing system to prevent poor things like this happening. I’m no expert on chickens, but perhaps try mashing her food up? If she’s been on mash for her whole life, perhaps she doesn’t recognize whatever the food you’re giving her is food. Then slowly introduce the new, whole food. Kind of like introducing dogs or cats to new food.
     Here’s hoping she continues to get stronger.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal