collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Beginner collector - Strategies from seasoned collectors!  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Ponygeek

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
Beginner collector - Strategies from seasoned collectors!
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Hey all!   I am wondering if all you seasoned collectors have some advice for a newbie collector?
I am looking for advice as to strategies for collecting!  Right now I have about 20 G1 ponies and some G3 ponies as well.  I am having a hard time trying to decide which ponies I should purchase when they come up.  I have decided to focus on G1 ponies for now as a start.  But I'm not sure if how to focus from there.  I love ALL ponies, so I'm like a squirrel right now and I can't make any decisions because I need/want so many!  Should I focus on common ponies first, or uncommon ponies?  What is your personal strategy for collecting?
Looking forward to hearing your stories and advice!

(Edited spelling - df)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:25:28 PM by dragonfly »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner collector - Stragies from seasoned collectors!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:07 PM »
I'd say you are doing well to try to find focus from the beginning. If I were to start collecting G1 myself right now I'd start collecting by set, Sweetberry ponies, Sparkle ponies, etc. starting with whatever ones appealed to me most. It's super satisfying to complete a set/wave for me.
Consider what your long term goals might be though.
Do you think you'll be happier trying to 'catch 'em all' or having a large collection? Buying in lots may be more for you.
Or would having a more curated smaller collection be more your style? Selecting individuals based on availability and condition might be better.

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:58 PM »
Best advice is to make a weekly/monthly (whatever) budget and STICK TO IT.  There are SOOOOOO many ponies available that it is easy to go way overboard, over spend, and burn yourself right out of collecting because it becomes a financial stress. 

I've been collecting pretty much my whole life (over 35 years!) and most ponies will come up for sale again.  So, second best piece of advice is to have patience.

Offline MoonStars

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:43:41 PM »
Choosing a set is great advice. I started out focusing on a symbol theme—anything with a space element on the symbol, or an ocean/water component, etc.

On the “have a budget and stick to it” theme—wise words!—watch out for ebay. The temptation can be to keep upping your bid until yikes, you’ve just paid $20 bucks for a five dollar pony. Plus shipping... Same concept—it’s gonna come back around at some point, so decide what you’re willing to pay, bid that, then (try to...) forget about the auction until you get a notification that you won (must think positively ha ha).

Offline flutterscotch

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 08:48:42 PM »
Unless something is very very rare, don't let FOMO guide your bidding actions. You can and will always find a cheaper pony eventually without resorting to the tippy top prices on eBay, especially when you're embroiled in a bidding war.

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:16:24 PM »
Choose a color or a theme as mentioned. OR choose a pose! Like collect all of Ponies in the Posey Pose (see what I did there)
http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Posey_Pose

Personally I'm collect all of the Steamer BB pose:

http://www.mylittlewiki.org/wiki/Steamer_Pose

so pose collecting can take you across lots of different years and releases, because Hasbro reused(es) molds to save money.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 09:28:11 PM »
Totally watch out for eBay. But at the same time, I found it pretty useful for jumpstarting my collection into more than 20 ponies (quite quickly, too!), but definitely set a budget for yourself. I use Bluerose's G1 price averages site here and factor the shipping into the cost to make sure I'm happy with the prices overall. I tell myself I can always sell or give away doubles.
But if you would feel cluttered, feel free to focus on one set or type of pony! Collect what makes you happy.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
Most new collectors tend to start out the same way.  Everything's exciting, and since you don't have very much, everything is tempting. This can be a goldmine for less than honest re-sellers.  Most newer collectors also tend to be not too picky with condition, and this can come back to haunt you if you get serious about it.  It's not unusual for a more experienced collector to have an extensive "upgrade" list once they start getting pickier about condition. 

My advice is this:

1) Take some serious time to do some research.  Learn what's out there, and make a list of what you like best.  Make sure you also check into the market for anything you decide to buy.  Ended ebay auctions are always a good indicator of price, but you can always ask here for price checks on anything you're having a hard time finding a value for.
2) Take some time to think about what you'd like your collection to look like.  Do you want a large collection, or to keep it small?  Do you want your collection to be more focused, or do you want to expand beyond just the ponies(accessories, merchandise, plush, stickers, etc)?  Is space going to be an issue?  Are you hoping to have everything out on display, or are you ok with storing/rotating parts of your collection?
3) Think about how picky you're willing to be with your collection.  Do you want mint ponies, or are you ok with less than mint ponies?  Do you enjoy restoring ponies?  Are you ok with "placeholder" ponies that you will eventually upgrade, or do you want to buy a pony once and never again?
4)  Take some time to figure out how to care for your collection.  Every collector has that "if I had just known!" story involving something getting destroyed/damaged/lost/etc.  If you're going to start collecting accessories and other small items, spend some time looking into storage options for them.  The last thing you want to do is have a tiny $20 item get knocked off your shelf and disappear forever.
A few tips:
Never keep ponies where sunlight can get to them.

Ponies don't like extreme temperatures(hot or cold), or humidity.

Many pets find ponies tasty - if you've got pets, keep the ponies somewhere they can't get to.

Never throw away anything(accessory/sticker/comb/etc) that comes in with your ponies.  If you don't know what it is, try to get it identified.  If you can't get it identified, keep a bag for random bits just in case you are able to get it ID'ed sometime in the future.  Some of the rarest pony accessories don't look like they're pony items(says the person who threw out the cardboard die from the mail order Adventures in Ponyland game...) 

Don't eat spaghetti near any of your collection ponies - it stains permanently.  That one I discovered last month:/

As you become more experienced and you learn more about ponies, your collecting priorities are going to shift.  You'll discover new things you didn't know existed, you'll start to look for new things to collect as you complete your wishlist, and sometimes you'll just change your mind about something.  But doing some thinking and some research early on can hopefully keep you from making some of the expensive mistakes many new collectors tend to make.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 10:52:52 PM »
What exactly are you interested in? Do you just want as many ponies as you could possibly have? Is there a particular generation or set you really desire?
...Honestly, each collection and its contents depend greatly on its owner and their wants. Is there anything super-nostalgic for you? Do you only like the overall look of the most recent ponies?
It just depends on who you are, what you like, when you were introduced to MLP, how much $ you wish to spend, and what you find completely unappealing.
Do not let all these options spook you away from the collecting community either. We all have different reasons for being here, but we also are very eager to support one another. Never be afraid to ask questions here and I hope you enjoy this forum!

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2018, 12:19:49 AM »
Triple recoommending the 'Make a budget and stick to it' advice.  Seriously, it cannot be stated too many times.  Do not fall into the trap of buying everything you see.  Most ponies, even G1's, are common in the grand scheme of things.  There are thousands and thousands of each out there.  Spend some time watching prices and figure out how much you should be looking to pay.  Bulk lots are your best friend when you don't have a big collection but only if you know how much they should be valued at; not just that particular pony, but that pony in that condition.

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2018, 01:18:00 AM »
Some great advice here. I would say try out different types of ponies, one from different sets to see who really tickles your fancy. You will likely start to see a pattern emerging whether it’s color, theme or type of pony (unicorn, Pegasus, seapony etc). All collectors have their own unique “personality” when it comes to their herd and it’s something that reveals itself over time ... even if you did make a deliberate decision to only collect a particular type of pony.

Spend time lurking on the trader support boards and get to know some common problems and complaints people have from shipping problems and shipping speeds, what is expected from trades and scams. I promise if you stick around long enough eventually you’ll have questions for TS and this way you won’t be caught off guard and can probably prevent some problems before they happen. It’s also a great place to read up on how to communicate with difficult sellers and trading partners if a deal starts to turn upside down and still have both parties come out satisfied.

Read read read read ... look at pictures ... familiarize yourself with the Rena rules if you haven’t read through already ... most of all have fun and remember to post your lovely brags! Welcome!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 03:13:59 AM »
Sorry but goddessofpeep, I now have images of you feeding your ponies spaghetti xD

I think most of the points here cover most of what you need to know. I guess "run for the hills before it's too late!" is probably not an option, right? The little critters have a habit of breeding.

Budget - yes. It's fun to buy shiny new ponies but be realistic with what you can afford.

Space as well is a consideration.

Make your list based on what YOU like best. Don't look at values, rarity, prices etc until after you've decided what you want. Too many people try to structure their collections around having rare stuff so they can brag about it. That's not what collecting is about. It might take a bit of time to figure that out, but it's worth taking that time. Definitely never buy a pony as an investment as the prices can fluctuate. Buy a pony because you like it, can afford it, and think it will make your collection more fun for you.

Asking here for price checks on ponies is a good idea. Don't post an auction link though. That's frowned on ;)

If you have about 20 or so G1 already, maybe look at them and see what other ponies come from the same sets. That might be a point to begin.

Definitely keep every accessory even if you can't identify it, also backcards, etc until you know if you want them. Then if you don't, sell them. Never throw anything away. People still amazingly recycle G1 backcards *cries*.

Sun is bad. Heat is bad. Don't groom hair that's curly when it's wet. Don't store your ponies in ponywear - at least, not ponywear with red or pink shoes, it can stain the feet.

If doing research on pony ID, use more than one website, don't rely on just one. People can and do make mistakes.

Finally and the best advice I can give you is - enjoy yourself. Make your collection make you happy. Don't feel like it's an exhaustive list that you have to match up to or meet anyone else's expectations. Your ponies are yours so make sure they fulfil what you want from them.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 07:17:46 AM »
You sound a lot like me because I too want every G1 I see and can't choose specific ones! I can't give you any advice about eBay, but I can give you advice about building your collection through local finds. With local sales and thrift shops and everything, you don't really know what to expect.  It's not like eBay where you can look up a specific thing and buy it. With thrift stores, there may be no ponies, there may be just merch, and there may be ponies. G1s at thrift stores though are becoming rarer, but they still do happen :) Craigslist is a great place to check. There are usually lots there when ponies pop up. Lots are great ways to grow your collection when starting out because it's unlikely you'll get doubles :) Single ponies also pop up. But there may be some dry spells as there is no guarantee that people will be donating or selling. I also agree with keeping a budget. Anyway, that is just my way since I don't use eBay very often! It's not the best methis if you want specific ponies though. I hope this helps :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 07:19:07 AM »
1. As with any collection buy what you like.

2. Look through ID sites and make a list. Then familiarize yourself with their going prices. They will rise and fall and a pony beyond your budget can sometimes be found for a good price.

3. Pace yourself. A collection is not built in a day.

4. Budget.

5. Have fun.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline ashlyne

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+170)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 07:26:23 AM »
Watch your budget, AND watch your space limitations, or you will risk your collection becoming a burden instead of an enjoyment.

Watch out for shipping costs -- they can really blow your budget quickly!  Especially international shipping.

In fact, you can really get some great deals by buying ponies in person.  Check 2nd-hand stores, flea markets, etc.  But I would TOTALLY recommend attending the Pony Fair if you can! It's easily the largest gathering of pony collectors and vendors and there are some great deals to be had.  Most vendors will be a little flexible on price too, especially if you're buying in bulk.   Plus, it's a super fun event, pony-buying aside ;)   If you're looking for playsets, buying in person means you don't have to pay shipping.   There may also be local pony meets (where are you located?) and you can buy/sell/trade there too.  But I can't emphasize enough how convenient the Fair is for expanding your collection quickly and in a fun way.

As far as where to focus, my advice is to start with ones that strike your fancy first.  It'll grow into it's own thing all by itself without you having to lay out a specific plan.  I personally started my collection by buying back the ones I had as a kid....

~Then, it expanded to the ones I've always wanted within those sets.
~Then ponies to complete those sets, or others I wanted from different lines.
~Then... well, any and all ponies from the USA G1 line.  At this point, I considered my goals "completist"
~It expanded to all playsets and accessories.
~Then stickers and ponywear.
~Pamphlets, backcards, and other paper items.
~At some point, UK ponies seeped in, along with German ones... Swedish... Scandinavian/Australian.
~Then playsets and accessories and ponywear and other stuff from THOSE countries and beyond.
~I acquired a set of 6 Pretty Parlors from different countries like Brazil, Germany, Argentina.  That particular collection focus has now reached a number somewhere into the 40's!!
~Now, I look for just a handful of specific things I want and also "upgrade" the condition of the ponies I have :)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 05:21:19 AM by ashlyne »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal