collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Are there any visually impaired customisers about?  (Read 1163 times)

Offline daisyd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Daisy's Crazy Crafts
Are there any visually impaired customisers about?
« on: March 05, 2018, 06:18:20 AM »
The reason I ask is, that I now find that I am one  :(

I've known for a good many years that I have cataracts, and go to the hospital every six months to get checked out for another eye problem (diabetic retinopathy). The retinopathy checks involve having photos taken to check the veins at the backs of my eyes, and for the last two years, I've had to have stronger and stronger drops put in for the doctors to be able to see through the growing cataracts.

Well, now they have suddenly decided to get much worse, and quickly. Over the last nine months I have noticed my sight deteriorating quite a lot. And now it's got so bad that I can't see to do customising any more  :cry:

I can barely see the plug holes for hair, certainly I can no longer do any eye repainting. Sad thing is, I'm knee deep in a pair of customs that I MUST get finished to give as a gift at the end of the month. I intend to do this, no matter what. The hair and eyes are about done, though I suspect my poor non-pony OH will have to check the quality of the eye painting and maybe have to do a touch up on the eyes tonight when he gets home from work.

I will be doing no more customs after this pair is done, until I get my cataract surgery done, which won't be until the end of the year.

I just wondered if anybody else with any eye issues does/did do customising? How do you manage, if you still do customs? What do you do instead, if you've had to stop?

I've been making customs for almost 15 years now, and I will be quite sad to stop, if only temporarily.
Thank you *wyvernchick* for my lovely avvie!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Are there any visually impaired customisers about?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 07:41:01 AM »
*many pony hugs of healing to you*
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:17 AM »
I don't have any eye issues, but I do like to do very fine paintwork.  I use a hobby magnifying glass on an arm/clamp.  I also use an OttLite for very bright, natural light.  I also sometimes use a pair of Rx reading glasses for close work magnification.  I wish you all the best! :)

P.S.  If this stoppage will only be temporary, maybe take this time to re-organize your work space, baits, hair, paints, etc.  You could also start doing some sketching of new ideas so that when you can customize again, you are ready to go.  Good luck!   
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 10:44:35 AM »
:hug: :hug: :hug:  Best wishes for a strong and successful recovery.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »
I'm really sorry to hear your vision is not good, hopefully you well get cataract surgery sooner rather than later.

I can't being to imagine how upsetting it must be not to be able to craft at the moment :(

P.S.  If this stoppage will only be temporary, maybe take this time to re-organize your work space, baits, hair, paints, etc.  You could also start doing some sketching of new ideas so that when you can customize again, you are ready to go.  Good luck!   

That is a really good idea :bigups:

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
The reason I ask is, that I now find that I am one  :(

I've known for a good many years that I have cataracts, and go to the hospital every six months to get checked out for another eye problem (diabetic retinopathy). The retinopathy checks involve having photos taken to check the veins at the backs of my eyes, and for the last two years, I've had to have stronger and stronger drops put in for the doctors to be able to see through the growing cataracts.

Well, now they have suddenly decided to get much worse, and quickly. Over the last nine months I have noticed my sight deteriorating quite a lot. And now it's got so bad that I can't see to do customising any more  :cry:

I can barely see the plug holes for hair, certainly I can no longer do any eye repainting. Sad thing is, I'm knee deep in a pair of customs that I MUST get finished to give as a gift at the end of the month. I intend to do this, no matter what. The hair and eyes are about done, though I suspect my poor non-pony OH will have to check the quality of the eye painting and maybe have to do a touch up on the eyes tonight when he gets home from work.

I will be doing no more customs after this pair is done, until I get my cataract surgery done, which won't be until the end of the year.

I just wondered if anybody else with any eye issues does/did do customising? How do you manage, if you still do customs? What do you do instead, if you've had to stop?

I've been making customs for almost 15 years now, and I will be quite sad to stop, if only temporarily.

One of my best friends went through this- and she wasn't a pony customizer but a HARDCORE crafter.  She had bad cataracts that got worse and worse until she couldn't even drive safely- much less craft. We helped her get her cataract surgery and while she can't see perfect she has been crafting up a storm since then, so I'd say she was pretty happy with the result :)

I'm not disabled but my vision isn't great- and I use one of those awesome huge craft lamps that has a magnifying lens on the end to craft with (when doing detail sewing or painting)- it makes a huge difference!

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 08:36:24 PM »
I second all the amazing advice given so far!

My situation isn't exactly like yours, but two years ago I had a partial retina detachment, and my vision was bad after my surgery, follow up, and waiting time until I could be allowed to have a new prescription. I couldn't really do more than bait prep for a few months, but it was helpful to do something creatively productive. I didn't try things like lighting and magnifying, so those may be solution for you for now.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 09:19:06 AM »
I was recently diagnosed with cataracts and some kind of nerve degeneration. I'm still trying to sort it all in my head, heh. Most of my hobbies are visual... from crafts and art to photography and video games and movies. So. I guess I'm in the same boat.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline vampyrefay

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Is it halloween yet?
    • View Profile
    • Canadian My Little Pony Collectors
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 04:49:03 PM »
yep! I'm legally blind but love customizing
My icon is my ponysona Persephone pomegranate

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal