collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Blythe customization questions  (Read 711 times)

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
Blythe customization questions
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
Hi.

I recently acquired a Blythe doll that was customized by the previous owner. Her previous owner painted her with what appears to be acrylics, pastels, and NAIL POLISH. My question is, can I remove all of this with nail polish remover (like MH, EAH, etc.)? She is sealed with Mr. Super clear.

I have another question as well. Can I repaint a Blythe using only acrylic paints? I do not own pastels or Mr. Super clear, this is why I am asking. I already have a beautifully custom wig for her (these are pretty expensive wigs), so I want to be careful with how I paint her.
COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Blythe customization questions
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »
I would advice against using nail polish remover. I used an acetone free nail polish remover on a Blythe face once and the plastic started to melt. It didn't melt through but the face thinned a bit as the remover ate away a layer of plastic. It had to be sanded in the end for a smooth surface.

I would try sanding first. It would also give the face more tooth for the acrylic to stick into it.

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:54:03 PM »
I would advice against using nail polish remover. I used an acetone free nail polish remover on a Blythe face once and the plastic started to melt. It didn't melt through but the face thinned a bit as the remover ate away a layer of plastic. It had to be sanded in the end for a smooth surface.

I would try sanding first. It would also give the face more tooth for the acrylic to stick into it.

I agree with Uninu. Nail polish, even acetone free, is going to be too caustic to use on the plastic surface. Sanding is likely your best bet. Start with a coarser sandpaper and work your way towards using a finer sandpaper. Sanding does take time but is probably your safest bet for removing the previous custom work.

You can use acrylics only if you'd like, totally your preference. However, keep in mind if it is not sealed that it is prone to chipping or getting scratched more easily. I would highly recommend getting Mr. Super Clear though. It seals your work so that it will no get scratched as easily and it also makes a nice base for after you've sanded, as it makes the surface more even to paint on.

Good luck with your project! Blythe dolls are fun to customize :)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:55:45 PM by flying_narwhal »

Offline NsMLPonies

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • NsDollyCouture
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:19:40 PM »

Ty! Which grit sandpaper should I use?
COMMISSIONS PERMANENTLY CLOSED

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal