collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Media Retrospective: Rescue At Midnight Castle  (Read 12767 times)

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1 Media Retrospective: Rescue At Midnight Castle
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2018, 05:33:04 PM »
This was my favorite growing up and still is.  I remember after I started collecting as an adult (actually my late teens) I went to the local video rental place and asked if they still had that video with the intention of buying it.  I did eventually find it online.  I still have a vcr and pop it in every once and a while.  Ahhh, the nostalgia!  I really really hope that Basic Fun! takes the suggestion of releasing the uncut version on DVD.  I'm very concerned that one day my vcr will eat the tape.

I recently got the VHS and intend to have it professionally put onto DVD (walmart & walgreens supposedly do this for like $25)
Something to look into!
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2018, 05:44:40 PM »
This was my favorite growing up and still is.  I remember after I started collecting as an adult (actually my late teens) I went to the local video rental place and asked if they still had that video with the intention of buying it.  I did eventually find it online.  I still have a vcr and pop it in every once and a while.  Ahhh, the nostalgia!  I really really hope that Basic Fun! takes the suggestion of releasing the uncut version on DVD.  I'm very concerned that one day my vcr will eat the tape.

I recently got the VHS and intend to have it professionally put onto DVD (walmart & walgreens supposedly do this for like $25)
Something to look into!

Interesting!  I'd only worry that they might refuse since it's not a home video.  But if one of them will do it, let us know :)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2018, 05:52:58 PM »
... Maybe Tirek knew that the Rainbow of Light was his nemesis and that he needed to destroy it before the ponies worked out how to use it (by summoning a human with opposable thumbs able to open the locket)? Ok, reaching a bit now, but...still?...

Maybe it was one of those self-defeating prophecies.

Tirek: "Tell me what I want to know, soothsayer, or a head will roll. Your caretaker's!"

Soothsayer (understandably peeved): "Your eternal night will only come about if you have four Little Ponies, turned into draft-dragons, to pull your Chariot of Midnight. Oh, and take Scorpan with you. And make sure there's a pile of hay on the roof."

Tirek: "A pile... of..."

Soothsayer: "DARE YOU QUESTION THE WISDOM OF ONE WHO CAN SEE THE FUTURE?! And don't let the door hit you on the way out."

:lmao:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:01 AM »
That's really interesting! I wonder how far they had gotten in production before the change in direction. There are these video covers which are in a style sort of in between Rescue at Midnight Castle and Escape from Catrina, and feature among other things a Danny-looking boy riding an adult winged Spike. (And Firefly, Megan and Moochick are all there!)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

These do imply there was some sort of story behind them. Possibly concept art for the special that would follow Rescue at Midnight Castle?

Would love to know what they were trying to make T.T and Habit's ears look funny. I'm thinking the boy was going to be Danny, because he looks a lot like the one in this production photo I have:

I bet it would have been amazing D= When I rented the second one, I was disappointed the cover I saw at Blockbuster didn't fit with the story XD

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2018, 09:25:01 AM »
RaMC is still my favorite piece of pony media. It has the 'Dungeons and Dragons' 80s fantasy that I love and think should be in way more media for girls. Seeing colorful MLPs going against literal monsters is such a great look.
Nowadays the monsters need to be as stylized and cutesy as the ponies. Back then the ponies had their own aesthetic and it served as a great opposite to the grim and grimey world around them.
I feel like G4 tried to do this but never really succeeded. Instead FiM made the pony world look more advanced than the rest of its universe :lookround:

And Tirac was such a cool villain. He was flat like most 80s kids show villains but he was so gloomy and threatening. He didn't need to be comical or desperate to make an impression. He was just a shadowy overlord with bad intentions and if done today could be easily given a sophisticated and calculating personality and be a huge threat to the ponies.

Finally,I loved Megan's countrygirl design (hated the frilly crap she had to wear in the later series) and the ponies were done in the best art style. I would jump for joy if G5 brought back the more anatomically proportionate/believable bodies and horsey muzzles.
I always "aww" when I see the RaMC art style. It was cute but not too crazy cartoony.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:27:31 AM by Zapper »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2018, 09:30:15 AM »

Finally,I loved Megan's countrygirl design (hated the frilly crap she had to wear in the later series)

Well, hasbro were trying to sell that frilly crap ;) Pretty sure it's Country Jamboree, the Megan and Sundance outfit...
Also pretty sure that's why our 2nd release of Megan and Sundance came in that outfit release.

I actually like the outfit, but I agree, it's not practical wear for saving the world. A picnic, maybe. But not fighting monsters.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2018, 10:24:39 AM »

Finally,I loved Megan's countrygirl design (hated the frilly crap she had to wear in the later series)

Well, hasbro were trying to sell that frilly crap ;)

Yes, I know that Megan is not a real person and can't choose her own wardrobe :lol:
Still such a weird thing to wear when your best male friend wears normal boy clothes but you - the oldest kid - are stuck in ballerina slippers and a frilly jumpsuit with a big ole heart in front. I know it was the 80s and ribbons/lace was big in girly fashion, but homegirl was dressed like a straight up toddler.
She was the pony mommy so she had to look like a Care Bear instead of an actual horsegirl :P
Also rest in peace, TJ. Megan found new ponies to care for. TJ was probably turned into glue by her parents because they figured she had lost interest :lol: j/k

Fun fact: TJ's German name was F R I T Z
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:26:38 AM by Zapper »

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2018, 04:09:30 PM »
Ballet flats were in vogue in the 80's, and are considered active wear.  Might be more comfortable on a long walk than stiff, heeled leather boots.

Still can't find any reason for the frilly overalls.  Especially since the outfit it was designed after wasn't that frilly.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2018, 07:41:29 PM »
Ballet flats were in vogue in the 80's, and are considered active wear.  Might be more comfortable on a long walk than stiff, heeled leather boots.

Still can't find any reason for the frilly overalls.  Especially since the outfit it was designed after wasn't that frilly.

Not so comfortable around horses though, sentient or otherwise. The animators must have never been stepped on by one before. They can leave nasty, deep bruises. Boots are good for hiking and riding.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2018, 04:36:33 AM »
... Maybe Tirek knew that the Rainbow of Light was his nemesis and that he needed to destroy it before the ponies worked out how to use it (by summoning a human with opposable thumbs able to open the locket)? Ok, reaching a bit now, but...still?...

Maybe it was one of those self-defeating prophecies.

Tirek: "Tell me what I want to know, soothsayer, or a head will roll. Your caretaker's!"

Soothsayer (understandably peeved): "Your eternal night will only come about if you have four Little Ponies, turned into draft-dragons, to pull your Chariot of Midnight. Oh, and take Scorpan with you. And make sure there's a pile of hay on the roof."

Tirek: "A pile... of..."

Soothsayer: "DARE YOU QUESTION THE WISDOM OF ONE WHO CAN SEE THE FUTURE?! And don't let the door hit you on the way out."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How close is Midnight Castle to Dream Castle? The Stratdons seemed to be able to return the captured ponies to the castle quickly and the raids Tirek ordered seemed to be carried out swiftly,Plus Megan and the rescue party were able to walk to Midnight Castle.

Also was there a 3rd raid (the scene where Scopran is saying "We tried" and the guard intterupts them to tell Tirek that there are more ponies in the castle)?

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2018, 08:36:01 AM »
It's probably 5-10 miles away.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2018, 03:52:44 PM »

Not so comfortable around horses though, sentient or otherwise. The animators must have never been stepped on by one before. They can leave nasty, deep bruises. Boots are good for hiking and riding.

Haha! Nooo I always hike in my active wear ballerinas :lol: I can't stop laughing!
Seriously, Megan's dumb outfit was not designed to be practical. She was supposed to be a fashion doll and that's why.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2018, 08:12:30 PM »

Haha! Nooo I always hike in my active wear ballerinas :lol: I can't stop laughing!
Seriously, Megan's dumb outfit was not designed to be practical. She was supposed to be a fashion doll and that's why.

And yet we never saw that doll in that particular outfit.  ^.^ Weird.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2018, 02:57:36 PM »
It was one of the pony/Megan wear sets.  But, again, the actual outfit was not as bad as what we saw in animated form.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Darker

• Ouchy Roids Pony
  • Hello there.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2018, 03:25:53 PM »
Dang, a shame I missed out on this thread for not being around often enough  :blush:

I love this pilot, especially because of Tirac who is one of my all time favourite cartoon villains from the 80s, alongside the likes of Megatron and a few others, as well as of all time because, when I first began watching the original My Little Pony, you betcha I was not expecting it to start with something as dark as Tirac and everything that surrounded him, especially since most properties from Hasbro weren't that dark up until like, the 1986 Transformers movie.

The lack of exposition is something I really like about RaMC, many things are left open to interpretation, which is the only upside to the whole thing being really rushed.

If they ever reboot the series again, I hope they make it more G1 inspired, with humans and dark elements thrown in, and all that stuff. I fear that might not be the case with G4's overwhelming popularity and Hasbro's love for money, and that if Tirac returns, he'll just be Arabus again.

Something I always see from people is the idea that Majesty was killed by Tirac, but... Given how über powerful she was in the UK comics... I find that a little hard to believe. She could probably turn the Rainbow of Darkness into bubbles!  :lol:
It is the evil that lies in ourselves that is ever least tolerant of the evil that lies in others.

-Maurice Maeterlinck

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal