collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Media Retrospective: Rescue At Midnight Castle  (Read 12639 times)

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
Re: G1 Media Retrospective: Rescue At Midnight Castle
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:59 AM »
I did not know any of the ponies featured in the special actually existed until the Internet became a thing.  I thought Firefly was the only one as she came with the video that I promptly lobbied for my parents to buy.  Hasbro marketing at its finest! lol

Every time I see that package, I reprimand myself because I could of had it when Children's Palace was going out of business, but NO I had to get a Donatello Plush instead D= 

I've always through Megan's outfit made much more sense in RaMC. The later outfits were so floofy. You're flying over a rainbow to a world filled with magical talking ponies to help fight off evil wizards and creatures of darkness. Jeans and boots are so much more sensible than frilly cotton overalls and slip-on loafers.

I was always disappointed to find versions with A Little Piece Of Rainbow cut out. It's my favorite of the pony songs. The line, "I put it in the flower bed. It's how I am, I plan ahead," amuses me every time. I can sing the whole thing without music. I always feel so bad for the rabbit, he tries so hard to get the Moochick's attention.

Megan's outfit could have been like this XD

Spoiler
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I love the song too! When I don't watch the animation I try to imagine what Tony Randall was doing when he recorded it when I listen do it X D and I love how they have him kind of skipping his way to the 'garden'

Yeah poor Habit, and I wonder why they went with those clothes for him, heh. but then he does look cute in them. I also love the visual gag of the Moochick taking off his hat and having normal ears under it.

I wish I could meet George Arthur Bloom, then to ask who came up with all the characters and if he had to approve some of them if he created them and just everything x.X

Also I remember an old pony person having found a Scorpan colored cel model of him. I have the picture saved somewhere on my many cd's of memories. Not sure which one it's on ^^"" been ages since I looked thru them...maybe it's a time to start  XD

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 09:38:50 AM »
Why don't we have toys of Scorpan, Tirek, Moochick, or Habit? I would have loved a Habit plush as a kid. I guess only huge franchises like Star Wars can have toys of absolutely all the characters. Then again, most ponies were never in an episode, especially later ponies. They could have had Habit as a pony pal or friend.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
I rented this ALLLL the time on VHS as a kid in the early 00s. The VHS was the only mlp cartoon I knew of at the time, so had a hard time finding a copy of it online after the rental shop closed in 2005. I called it the mlp movie, and knew it had dragons. I got a bootleg dvd on ebay that had the dragons on the back, g2 art on the menu, and the ending credits got cut off early, but it was MLP The Movie, not Midnight Castle. I still haven't found a hard copy of it, just on youtube.

The Sea Pony song is my favourite song of alp MLP, mainly because it's so catchy.

I love how the plot suggests that kidnapping is ok for a good cause. Megan is taken by surprise and abducted against her will. During Firefly's flight, Megan is convinced she can help, but she said next to useless against the dragons. Seriously, what was Megan actually useful for, besides having fingers to open the Rainbow of Light?

Also, it seemed to be too scary for girls and too cute for boys, but that's why I loved it as a kid.

As a kid, I had Firefly and my sister had Medley, which seemed fitting.

That, and Majesty. Whatever happened to her? I've heard of people bringing up the possibility of her being killed, though I wonder if she was just less important in the US than in the UK comics, where she's in pretty much every single issue there is.
As a kid in the US, when I heard that Majesty came within the castle, I thought it was such a random choice, if not for her name. She seemed rather unimportant in the show.

I like that about Megan. She starts off as next to useless because

1) She's a kid.
2) She's in a strange world up against creatures she's only read about in fairy tales.

Heroes don't start off being these great and powerful beings that kick everybody's butt right from the get-go. They stumble, they're afraid, they make mistakes, they learn.

I love Dancing on Air. It's one of the best pony songs of all time.

Post Merge: March 14, 2018, 09:53:50 AM

I FINALLY FOUND IT! What I meant so show in my last post.

Tony Randall with Moochick cut out:

Spoiler

I thought it was a fake when I got it because there was printed red numbers on it that I didn't see in the auction, but when I finally got the other Escape From Catrina packet, they had info about the first special and had a photo of the same thing in it! (But I still think I got a copy of the photo anyway =P ) I've got lots to share with Catrina when we get to it XD

OKAY back in time for me, I got to rent this from Blockbuster in the early 90's, the only MLP tape I ever had was the Magic Horseshoes with Mimic. Besides the ones taped as a kid, but I wouldn't find those until later. Anyway, so I watched it and I was so excited and I watched it again and again. I ended up kind of tired of it after watching it for two days but I still loved it. I think by that time I thought to start memorizing it and such =P

I love Moochick's song a LOT. I get tickled every time he goes "UGH A BUG!" Pure magic for me XD And EVERY TIME I ask my mom 'Whatcha looking for?" I have the urge to go 'Mr. Moochick?" =P

I also remember singing 'Dancing On Air' into a fan to hear the weirdness in it X D

Um what else.... I do like the dark elements and the animation is very awesome. Now I got to watch it again in full! I haven't in awhile, but I guess I'll have to watch the Moochick part on youtube =P

Ugh still feels like I'm missing something to say about it... Anyway, the writer's guide calls him 'centaur-like wizard TIRAC' = D

That is seriously cool.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:53:50 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:57 AM »

I love Moochick's song a LOT. I get tickled every time he goes "UGH A BUG!" Pure magic for me XD And EVERY TIME I ask my mom 'Whatcha looking for?" I have the urge to go 'Mr. Moochick?" =P

That was my favorite part growing up also. It made me laugh every time he opened the cupboard and found the bug.  :lol: :lol:

I really love the entire song, the rhymes are funny and watching Mr. Moochick search his house while trying to find the Rainbow really helps establish him as a helpful. but eccentric wizard.

I also love the line "Wait a moment. Beg your pardon. Silly me. Come and see,  it's in the Garden!"  :lol:

Here's the song on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ0Q_oG6zL0

Great picture of Tony Randall with the Moochick cutout, Wildshadow.

I totally agree on Megan's outfit. It's much more suitable for adventures in Ponyland and looks appropriate for a girl that was literally swept away from her farm/ranch by a talking, flying pony. I also like Megan's lack of self confidence when Firefly takes her to Ponyland and her reaction to the 2nd attack is reasonable considering she was just grabbed by a dragon, flown incredible high, dropped, almost fell to her death and then saved by a mysterious creature all in less than 5 minutes after she arrived.

Where DID that haystack come from? I mean, yes, clearly from convenient writing, but it makes no logistical sense. He's not going to feed the ponies hay, he's turning them into dragons and will feed them darkness. Or other ponies.  If it's bedding, then it would be in the cells or in a storage room, not stored on a castle where the wind can blow it away.

It's a mysterious haystack.  :lol: I rewatched a couple of scenes this morning and as far as I could tell there's no bedding or straw in the dungeon cells. We know Tirek was going behead Spike  if he didn't get another pony but what was he going to do with Ember?

I also really like how the audience is led to believe that Scorpan is a heartless monster at first but then you see subtle glimpses that he's not all bad when he's trying to protect Spike and saves Megan from falling after the Stradon dropped her.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2018, 03:12:05 AM »
Why don't we have toys of Scorpan, Tirek, Moochick, or Habit? I would have loved a Habit plush as a kid. I guess only huge franchises like Star Wars can have toys of absolutely all the characters. Then again, most ponies were never in an episode, especially later ponies. They could have had Habit as a pony pal or friend.

I would totally want a Moochick toy! I imagine him as a little vinyl figure about the size of G1 Spike, maybe a little taller. And he was in several other episodes and the movie. I think Hasbro missed a trick by not making a Rainbow of Light locket too.

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2018, 06:47:42 AM »

I would totally want a Moochick toy! I imagine him as a little vinyl figure about the size of G1 Spike, maybe a little taller. And he was in several other episodes and the movie. I think Hasbro missed a trick by not making a Rainbow of Light locket too.

I could see him as about the size of the PVC Care Bears, with poseable arms, legs and head. Habit could be his "accessory".

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2018, 07:28:53 AM »

I could see him as about the size of the PVC Care Bears, with poseable arms, legs and head. Habit could be his "accessory".

Now I can't stop thinking of the Care Bears Cloudkeeper XD I want to think he could be made into Moochick, but I looked him up and maybe not =P but yeah I wish they made him T.T

They had a heart shaped necklace in a 10th anniversary pack with bracelets and such and I called it the Rainbow of Light even though it wasn't really a locket or red, heh. And now I have a Tupperware red heart keychain thing that opens up (might be pill thing?) and I have worn it on a necklace with a rainbow ribbon on it for my own Rainbow Of Light =D

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2018, 08:46:23 AM »
I wanted a Rainbow of Light locket too. I can see why Tirek and Scorpan were never made in to toys but Mr. Moochick, the Rainbow of Light and Habbit all had multiple appearances.

If there had been Tirek and Scorpan toys maybe the advertisement would have been something like this...

Relive all the excitement as you help the ponies escape from Midnight Castle and it’s evil ruler Tirek who wants to bring the night that never ends. Throw the ponies in the dungeon or pretend to have Tirek turn them in to dragons.  Help Scorpan fight against Tirek.

Midnight Castle playset comes with Tirek, Scorpan and 4 dragon figures. Other My Little Pony items sold separately.  :lol:

Ponyfan

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »
I think I'm a minority here, maybe enough so to even qualify for the unpopular opinion thread, but I actually am glad they didn't make other toys like the Moochick etc.

I didn't like Megan. I mean, I could have had Megan and Sundance as a kid and I actively made a point of saying nope, don't want Megan, so I never had Sundance. That was enough for me. I wanted ponies. Not weird supporting cast figures.

Maybe that was partly because most of the animation characters weren't really in the UK in the same way as they were the US. I don't remember MLP being on TV, only on VHS, until I was in my teens in the nineties and they were doing reruns on cable. But thinking about it, I don't think I would have wanted Wizard Wantall or the Weather Witch or Junk It or any of these individuals from the comics either. They were fine, I liked them, but I didn't really need them in my ponyland.

I only really liked Spike, the dragons, Twinkles and Brandy. I never saw Duck Soup till I was older :/

To be honest, I;m not sure how I would have even reacted to pony friends back then. I love several of them NOW, but...*shrug*. Maybe that's why the UK didn't get them. Germany had the pretty pal set, but we didn't get any of the animal friends at all. Maybe Hasbro felt that they wouldn't sell here. I am slightly convinced that movie characters and characters from the TV show possibly also would have failed here. Though some UK folk may disagree with that :) I'm probably also influenced by not being a huge fan of poseable carebears and figures in general. I loved the Moondreamers and the Turtles but never had any of the toys for either because I didn't like dolls and didn't like poseable figures :/ and I only had one Care Bear cousin poseable.

So yeah. I also don't remember the Rainbow of Light ever solving any problem in the UK comic or the storybooks, or even necessarily existing. But I also don't remember Megan ever doing anything meaningful in the same spaces either. The ponies solved their own problems when I was a kid. I liked it better that way ;) I never wanted or needed a Rainbow of Light and I still don't really need or want one now...

*dodges fakies*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:21:53 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wildshadow

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2018, 10:56:03 AM »
I wanted a Rainbow of Light locket too. I can see why Tirek and Scorpan were never made in to toys but Mr. Moochick, the Rainbow of Light and Habbit all had multiple appearances.

If there had been Tirek and Scorpan toys maybe the advertisement would have been something like this...

Relive all the excitement as you help the ponies escape from Midnight Castle and it’s evil ruler Tirek who wants to bring the night that never ends. Throw the ponies in the dungeon or pretend to have Tirek turn them in to dragons.  Help Scorpan fight against Tirek.

Midnight Castle playset comes with Tirek, Scorpan and 4 dragon figures. Other My Little Pony items sold separately.  :lol:

Ponyfan

I would have been ecstatic for that, er well probably as a kid, that was my favorite thing as a kid was all the villains taking hostages and the good characters going to save them XD Not sure why that was a thing for me but yeah, now that I think about how I played things in the past, that was a huge hit with me. Making capturing stories with my toys was a theme with most of my toys, a few times using shoe laces for chains XD but during my later growing up years, one of my cousins had Barbie's and I wanted to fit in the 'mother/house keeper/daily human life' thing my sister and her was playing D=

Taffeta, I'd probably be the same way if I didn't have the animation available. My dad/mom would tape the show from the TV so I could watch it when I got off of school. and then I found some of the tapes and we had The Disney Channel and they started playing it in the early 90's, which when I found out from the channel, I couldn't stop being excited and talking about it and it was around summer so I would sing the sea ponies song at the pool XD I watched the show so much and memorized the episodes... but yeah I don't think I'd be that much into ponies throughout my life if I didn't have the show o.O  Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing now XD Like would I have had a better time at school, more friends in school? =P

Offline Shatyr

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2018, 11:06:30 AM »
Oh, I absolutely agree with the no need for Megan/Molly dolls. They really didn't do much. Moochick was always my favorite of the 'humanoid' characters and I would have absolutely had stories with him in it, and Megan's off back at home with TJ and school and not in Ponyland at all.

Offline Majesty

• Metal Gear Solid Pony
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • G1 and G3 Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2018, 11:40:57 AM »
I didn't see this until much later when it was out.  I didn't have it on VHS either.  I have it and Escape from Catrina on DVD.  I think it's my favorite art style as far as the eyes go.  I never understood why Ember never had a Mom.  She would have had to have a Mom to exist because isn't that how baby ponies were made, through the magic mirror?  I guess everyone was her Mom.

As others have mentioned, it really bothered me how we never saw Majesty.  They showed Dream Castle and Spike quite a few times but no Majesty.  That's weird, because that was her home.  She must have just been a comic book thing or something but why make a playset if she never appears on screen?!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2018, 01:49:15 PM »
I would have liked to see the Weather Witch in toy form.  But, I'm a weather geek (need to eventually get around to start collecting weather ponies).
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 02:32:19 PM »
RaMC was my only MLP cartoon experience until I was about 10 and we got a DVD player. The only remembered firefly, medley, ember, and Applejack from it, and only had Firefly of those 4 until recently.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 03:33:14 PM »
The Rainbow of Light doesn't appear in the comics? That's very interesting. Now that I've thought about it I'm not sure that the Rainbow of Light appears in the US storybooks and tapes either.

I do wish that Hasbro would have given us a little more info on Ember and what they planned to do with her. It seems like Hasbro was going for a "baby ponies aren't born with symbols" thing based on the conversation Twilight and Ember have before the Stratadons attack but they seemed to drop that idea after making Ember as all babies afterwards had symbols.

Was Scorpan just waiting for the right moment to free Spike and Ember and when the guard distracted Tirek to tell him that more ponies were in the castle he took his chance?

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:45:58 PM by Ponyfan »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal