collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Media Retrospective: Rescue At Midnight Castle  (Read 12637 times)

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
Re: G1 Media Retrospective: Rescue At Midnight Castle
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2018, 11:43:04 AM »
This is probably one of the few G1 "episodes" I am able to get through in relation to the series.  I ALWAYS watched MLP: The Movie from the video store as a kid.  I loved the witches and smooze (which tickles me every time I remember they brought it back in G4 for a time).  I guess I do not really remember the other episodes well enough to realize there is an art difference.  This one, Escape from Catrina, and Rescue Flutter Valley seem to be the ones I have watched the most. 

The only thing that I think could have made Rescue from  Midnight Castle even better would have been more background on Scorpan and Spike. Where was Scorpan's kingdom, how long had Scorpan been forced to serve Tirek etc.. Also an explanation why Spike suddenly decided to stay in Dream Valley with the ponies instead of returning with prince Scorpan to his former home.

That, and Majesty. Whatever happened to her? I've heard of people bringing up the possibility of her being killed, though I wonder if she was just less important in the US than in the UK comics, where she's in pretty much every single issue there is.
I guess I always thought Majesty was pretty random for the castle also.  That and Spike, why he stayed, was Scorpan's real name Prince Scorpan?  Where did he come from, how did he get there?  Why is Spike with him? 

It's interesting that Ember is the first baby for G1 and has no symbol, then we never see her again.  I liked seeing Megan's horse TJ in the pony stable too. 

I can hear the voice of Tirek in my head, and I love it.  Reminds me of the Horned King in The Black Cauldron for some reason.  Nothing in cartoons ever scared me as a kid that I can recall. 

It would've been cool if Hasbro had made a Rainbow of Light.  How did they miss that little golden goose?!  Would've been cool if a doll sized one came with Megan, and one you could wear. 

Unfortunately, I don't really remember any of the songs except the Sea Pony song.  I don't know if I have ever seen the version with the song "A Little Piece of Rainbow". 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »
I have on occasion thought of doing a live stream to watch my VHS copy.  But that would require that I figure out how to do a live stream.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 12:55:52 PM »
The only thing that I think could have made Rescue from  Midnight Castle even better would have been more background on Scorpan and Spike. Where was Scorpan's kingdom, how long had Scorpan been forced to serve Tirek etc.. Also an explanation why Spike suddenly decided to stay in Dream Valley with the ponies instead of returning with prince Scorpan to his former home.

That, and Majesty. Whatever happened to her? I've heard of people bringing up the possibility of her being killed, though I wonder if she was just less important in the US than in the UK comics, where she's in pretty much every single issue there is.

Small exaggeration xD She's really not. But DC was out for a long time here, so she did her share and then came back for occasional reprises.
But that's off topic. Back on topic.

I think that whenever anyone calls G1 about tea parties and stuff, this is the episode that totally smashes the girly stereotype out of the water. I never saw it as a kid I don't think. I had a total of 4 episodes until my sister got a VHS which had it on when I was about 13 or 14? It makes an impression.

I do love the songs. The Sea Ponies. They stick with me <3. They're the balance of the darkness in the rest of the episode.

I don't like Megan. I find her totally useless for most of this episode. She appears, gets almost abducted, has to be saved. Yeah, she gets the rainbow, but I think that's an opposable thumbs thing. I don't think the ponies should have needed Megan to save them, albeit I get the point being that girls watching are meant to identify with Megan. I always hated humans entering the pony world, though, so not for me :)

I did like TJ though. Pity we never saw TJ again.

Firefly is a daredevil but she's not really arrogant or brattish. In the comic she was stubborn at times to the point of idiocy and she did some silly things, but this Firefly is more about saving her companions. I like that aspect. As a kid I always loved Medley more and still do. I wish she had more of a part in RaMC.

I don't understand why this got renamed Firefly's Adventure as it's not just about Firefly. I mind it more because we didn't get the second VHS release either. Sigh. :(

A lot of mysteries floating around this special which may hint at the creative processes still going on at this time. Mystery Pony. Why that Ember? Is there a hint about her symbol or is that just G4 people applying retrospective cutie mark logic? How does Twilight's wishing power really work? I mean, she can't wish the danger away?? Twilight was always a bit mysterious in the comics and UK books too.

Biggest question. Where the heck is Sunbeam in all of this drama??

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 02:18:38 PM »
I only saw this once when I was very little, up until it was in re-runs I thought I dreamt it (that and the Rainbow Brite Beginning Of Rainbowland movie). I think it was because of this I always had the villains when I played ponies tie up captured ponies as their grand scale evil plan.
Many say how G1 MLP was all sweetness and light, but all the bigger storylines from the cartoon were pretty dark looking back...

I wished that the Rainbow Of Light was given more backstory later on because it was so powerful and a big part of the early cartoons.
Bowtie was my favorite from Midnight Castle, and I like to think Twilight adopted Ember :)

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »
I'm going to have to talk more about stuff tomorrow but I just wanted to throw these things in quickly XD

Which is from now on the villainous band is, Tirac and the Stratadons!

Spoiler

But seriously that's how I'm seeing it now when I think of Tirac XD And I find it funny how it's "My Little Pony I".

and something else in my production stash!

Spoiler
..er well I thought I had it in my Photobucket, but I can't seem to find it now..

It was supposed to be Tony Randal with a Moochick cut out but UGH! it's hidden deep in my photobucket...

I need to find the Sandy Duncan and the Firefly cut out to go with him T.T

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 05:22:12 PM »
I agree with Taffeta, where's Sunbeam?  They used all the first set of unicorns except her!

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 06:15:28 PM »
love love love RaMC  i also wish they kept the style for the regular series, but as with all toon of that time it was merely a glorified commercial so quality wasn't much use to them, nor consistency XD

but yes I agree with Taffeta and Gator, why didn't they use SunBeam? Maybe her color scheme was too hard to animate? i have no idea I know that was the possible reason why you didn't see Peachy
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14:51 PM »
I kinda wish I could have seen this as a kid.  ^.^

It is rather straightforward and does show its age. Particularly with the quick pacing and simple character portrayals. Doesn't help that Megan was brought along to aid them, but ultimately contributes very little. It's obvious that her main purpose was to give the audience someone to connect with.

But what draws me to this is the atmosphere. A great mix of foreboding darkness with spots of mystical wonder, like when they're wandering in a spooky forest and then discover the strange, colorful home of the Moochick.

Tirac's voice alone is amazing. Hearing that along with the echoing 'heartbeat' from his rainbow of darkness is bone chilling.   :|
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 09:19:40 PM »
Let us not forget that Tirac threatened to kill Scorpan. "If you fail, a head will roll - yours!"
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Deep Purple Crystal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • "Jewels! Jewels in your eyes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 11:28:51 PM »
Let us not forget that Tirac threatened to kill Scorpan. "If you fail, a head will roll - yours!"
Actually, Tirac's actual line was "and if you fail, Scorpan, a head will roll...HIS!" gesturing to Spike. Technically, Tirac was threatening to decapitate Spike and not Scorpan. Admittedly still extremely brutal for a kid's TV special (although this was the 80s, the weird time where censors didn't allow specific violence yet but it was perfectly fine to obviously imply that a demonic centaur was willing to decapitate a baby dragon under specific circumstance.

Thanks to LordBlumiere and Corona for the amazing Masquerade and Baby Sugarcake in my sig!

Online Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 11:54:12 PM »
I just watched this again and thought of a couple more things. :)

When Scorpan tries to grab the Rainbow of Darkness from Tirek and falls in the haystack, why is there a random haystack on top of the castle? Is it there for the ponies to eat before Tirek transforms them in to dragons?

I assume that Tirek needed creatures of a certain size and strength to transform into dragons strong enough to pull his chariot instead of using tiny creatures like birds and butterflies he transformed in to Stratadons and guards.

How did Megan think she would be able to swim and carry Applejack back to the surface when she jumped in after her?

Trivia fact: The summary on the back of the package of the View Master Reels for Rescue from Midnight Castle never mentions the ponies being transformed in to dragons.

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:04:50 AM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:00 PM »
I FINALLY FOUND IT! What I meant so show in my last post.

Tony Randall with Moochick cut out:

Spoiler

I thought it was a fake when I got it because there was printed red numbers on it that I didn't see in the auction, but when I finally got the other Escape From Catrina packet, they had info about the first special and had a photo of the same thing in it! (But I still think I got a copy of the photo anyway =P ) I've got lots to share with Catrina when we get to it XD

OKAY back in time for me, I got to rent this from Blockbuster in the early 90's, the only MLP tape I ever had was the Magic Horseshoes with Mimic. Besides the ones taped as a kid, but I wouldn't find those until later. Anyway, so I watched it and I was so excited and I watched it again and again. I ended up kind of tired of it after watching it for two days but I still loved it. I think by that time I thought to start memorizing it and such =P

I love Moochick's song a LOT. I get tickled every time he goes "UGH A BUG!" Pure magic for me XD And EVERY TIME I ask my mom 'Whatcha looking for?" I have the urge to go 'Mr. Moochick?" =P

I also remember singing 'Dancing On Air' into a fan to hear the weirdness in it X D

Um what else.... I do like the dark elements and the animation is very awesome. Now I got to watch it again in full! I haven't in awhile, but I guess I'll have to watch the Moochick part on youtube =P

Ugh still feels like I'm missing something to say about it... Anyway, the writer's guide calls him 'centaur-like wizard TIRAC' = D

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline MoonShadow

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Youtube!
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 01:58:03 PM »
I 100% blame Rescue At Midnight Castle (and the preschool teacher who showed it to the class) for my pony obsession.  >_<  It's still my favorite MLP Animation. Those ponies went on an epic, musical adventure and battled against some ridiculously intimidating monsters... Looking back, it was pretty dark for a kids show which is probably why it appealed to me and why my parents allowed me (as a male) to have the toys. 

I did not know any of the ponies featured in the special actually existed until the Internet became a thing.  I thought Firefly was the only one as she came with the video that I promptly lobbied for my parents to buy.  Hasbro marketing at its finest! lol

Offline Shatyr

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 07:34:01 PM »
Rescue At Midnight Castle remains my favorite of the G1 animated franchise. I love the animation. I love the story line. I love the Moochick's song. I love that my brothers will live the rest of their lives with the Seapony song memorized. (Seriously, they bring it up during D&D sessions.)

I've always through Megan's outfit made much more sense in RaMC. The later outfits were so floofy. You're flying over a rainbow to a world filled with magical talking ponies to help fight off evil wizards and creatures of darkness. Jeans and boots are so much more sensible than frilly cotton overalls and slip-on loafers.

Where DID that haystack come from? I mean, yes, clearly from convenient writing, but it makes no logistical sense. He's not going to feed the ponies hay, he's turning them into dragons and will feed them darkness. Or other ponies.  If it's bedding, then it would be in the cells or in a storage room, not stored on a castle where the wind can blow it away.

I was always disappointed to find versions with A Little Piece Of Rainbow cut out. It's my favorite of the pony songs. The line, "I put it in the flower bed. It's how I am, I plan ahead," amuses me every time. I can sing the whole thing without music. I always feel so bad for the rabbit, he tries so hard to get the Moochick's attention.

Offline Moonstar

• Arena Supporter
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Prancing On Air
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 07:54:46 PM »
Maybe Tirek eats hay? He is part horse-like at least XD

"The Rainbow of Light belongs here, with the Little Ponies."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal