collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unproduced play set.  (Read 4711 times)

Offline starstrider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pony pride!
    • View Profile
Re: Unproduced play set.
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 05:55:13 AM »
Oh, WOW!  I've never seen pics of this set before!  The bride pony's symbol is wedding bells, but the groom pony's symbols aren't clearly photographed.  Any ideas what his symbols might have been? 

It's so pretty, what a terrible shame it never made it into public.  One of probably many such planned/partially produced/completed but not released products.  Wouldn't you just love to get your hands on the development team's concept artwork sketchbooks!  There would be some gorgeous ideas in there, I've no doubt. 

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 05:58:13 AM by starstrider »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
I always felt like the sweet ice delight cottage didn't look very pony somehow. I remember it was still strongly believed to be a thing back in the nineties when I came online, because it's on one of the inserts.

That along with the Flutter Pony house seem to have fallen by the wayside. I wonder if there's a committee who reviews all these prototypes and gauges the interest from distributors and then goes, nup. Not worth it.

Still convinced poor PE sales in the US are the main reason UK Hasbro didn't push ahead with Paradise. Seems to me like the PE we got here were all in US boxes and so basically were leftover US ones that didn't sell. Which meant no point manufacturing Paradise. US didn't need her, they had a SS one. So we missed out.

Ultimately it's all about what will sell, the production cost, price point and whether there's a market.

If it's anything like now they bring the prototypes to Toy Fair and if there aren't enough orders the whole thing gets cancelled. That's why usually prototypes exist for things that never made it to market.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 02:53:03 PM »
I always felt like the sweet ice delight cottage didn't look very pony somehow. I remember it was still strongly believed to be a thing back in the nineties when I came online, because it's on one of the inserts.

That along with the Flutter Pony house seem to have fallen by the wayside. I wonder if there's a committee who reviews all these prototypes and gauges the interest from distributors and then goes, nup. Not worth it.

Still convinced poor PE sales in the US are the main reason UK Hasbro didn't push ahead with Paradise. Seems to me like the PE we got here were all in US boxes and so basically were leftover US ones that didn't sell. Which meant no point manufacturing Paradise. US didn't need her, they had a SS one. So we missed out.

Ultimately it's all about what will sell, the production cost, price point and whether there's a market.

If it's anything like now they bring the prototypes to Toy Fair and if there aren't enough orders the whole thing gets cancelled. That's why usually prototypes exist for things that never made it to market.

Or sometimes the prototypes are made just as an entire line gets cancelled- I think that happens a lot.

I actually like prototypes quite a lot-

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 02:55:05 PM »

Or sometimes the prototypes are made just as an entire line gets cancelled- I think that happens a lot.

That certainly happened for Jem. The Stingers, Astral, Regine...and then bam, line gone. Stinger doll prototypes sold for $10,000 on ebay, years later...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 04:19:49 PM »

That certainly happened for Jem. The Stingers, Astral, Regine...and then bam, line gone. Stinger doll prototypes sold for $10,000 on ebay, years later...

And Rainbow Brite, Shimmers, Moondreamers and Rose Petal Place (although the Kenner stuff really ended because the factory closed)

So many beautiful things were planned...  fortunately for collectors, the Kenner prototypes are a little easier to find (marginally) since all of the prototypes were tossed into the garbage bins (lore has it) and people waited until after hours and dug them back out (mostly they were after star wars stuff but other things got saved as well)

I would love a complete set of the Rose Petal 1988 unproduced dolls...

Offline BethyVic

• Let It Be/Peace & Love Pony
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There is still a light that shines on me
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
Ponies with pearlization are some of my favorites. A pearly play set would be awesome. If I was a millionaire I would want to track down all of those prototypes.
[email protected]

*Looking for MOC Starflash and her comb loose, MOC Peppermint Crunch and MOC Sky Rocket (sparkle) all US versions*

Offline shabbychicdee

• Trade Count: (+85)
  • MOC Mimic
  • professional thrifter and treasure hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 04:01:46 PM »
Is sweet delight cottage a petite pony set? The pony that’s with it always looked bigger to me, kind of like the merry go round game ponies.

The wedding set is amazing!

The chairs out front look like the same model as the Paradise Estate ones, so it'd be a regular pony playset based on that scale.

OMG i think you are right, throws fakie at self :P why i never notice that. i just thought it was tiny. man i so really want it more now :( that and the flutter tree house thing............so so badly, im throwing money at the screen for something that doesn't exist :sad:

Post Merge: March 22, 2018, 04:13:19 PM

sorry just saw writing on it i think its a "Easy Bake" kind of thing or slushy machine    :shocked:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 04:15:18 PM by shabbychicdee »

seeking retro MLP and Care Bear tin lunch boxes
wanted list
for trade

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 05:00:15 PM »
It was intended to be a snow-cone maker - see the sidebar in the Wiki image, it says "Comes with 2 Kool-Aid Soft Drink Mix Packets, Pony Shaped Syrup Bottle, Shovel (really? looks like a spoon to me!) and Cup to Make Delicious Sno-Cone Treats."

Maybe the licensing fell through?  It seems weird to me that you'd pair a real food-making item with a toy play-set, especially one that could result in the kinds of sticky messes ice, syrup and drink mixes imply.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal