collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Who were your first Ponies?

G1 - had as a kid
67 (64.4%)
G1 - got them as an adult
2 (1.9%)
G2 - had as a kid
5 (4.8%)
G2 - had them as an adult
0 (0%)
G3 - had as a kid
20 (19.2%)
G3 - had them as an adult
1 (1%)
G4 - had as a kid
2 (1.9%)
G4 - had them as an adult
6 (5.8%)
Something else and I will share in my reply
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Who were your first Ponies?  (Read 5069 times)

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Who were your first Ponies?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 09:36:45 PM »
My first pony was Glory.  I adored her.   Then came about 20 more.  At the rate of 2-3ish a year.  It was all I wanted for Christmas and Birthdays. 

After that, I simply held on to them and kept them under the bed/closet.  I think about 10 years later I bought one or two on eBay but wasn’t thrilled with the experience.  I also bought a couple of g2 and found g3 for my baby niece.  Then, I found this place and bought an entire lot on eBay and a few more in provide sales.  Oh, and I have a small group of G4s.  Honestly, I don’t want any more ponies.  But I still feel like a collector.  Just a pickier one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2018, 10:01:41 PM »
Oh my gosh. I feel so so old seeing how many members say they had G3s as kids!! To me, it seems like G3s were just released yesterday lol!
My very first pony was Pina Colada. My cousin (only a couple of years older than me) had a few of the normal ponies and one plushie. I was sooo in love with them!! So my mom finally caved and bought me the first MLP she saw in store. I still have her and all of my other childhood ponies. My cousin even eventually gave me her plushie!
It’s funny though, I played with them for a couple of years, but once I hit 6-7 years old, they were no longer toys to me. They became my “collectibles” and I refused to let my poor friends play with them! They were just too special to me to risk any sort of damage to them!

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2018, 10:10:44 PM »
My childhood ponies were G1. I had a good sized herd but I think Gusty was my first. I got into ponies again around 17. I'm not sure exactly how it started but I know it started with my Care Bears and then pulling my other 80's toys out of storage and then trying to identify them online. I got into garage sales and flea markets and started buying on ebay. Then I moved out at 21 and all the collection went back into storage in my parent's loft of their garage for like 10 years. Then when my daughter was 4 I went to my moms and got my ponies for her to play with. After a few weeks I decided I wasn't ready to let them go so I let her keep some, took the rest back and bought her new G4's instead.  :biggrin: Now I have my pony room.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 10:23:38 PM »
G3 were my first ponies, I got my first ones when I was 3 or 4. I also frequently played with my aunts childhood G1 ponies at my grandmother's as they were in her basement, and then later she gave me her ponies aswell, so then G1 was kind of a childhood thing for me too. They're both very nostalgic to me, but not in the way G1's are nostalgic to actual 80's kids. I wish I could feel that nostalgia too!

I voted G3 though as they were my firsts.
(I think technically fakies might've been my real firsts, though >.>)

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2018, 04:00:26 AM »
If we want to be really technical I think my very first pony was a McDonald's G2 Ivy, but I hardly count her because I do remember playing with her some, but not very often. The very first pony in my family was a G3 Cotton Candy my sister got for her birthday, and then my first pony was a G3 Sparkleworks. I still remember going to Toys r Us  and picking her out. I thpugh she was cool with having fireworks as her symbol! And from there I was super hooked. I never took a break from ponies at all, honestly every year that went by my love for them kind of only grew stronger even though I was well into the age where it wasn't cool to play with toys anymore. I rode it out by drawing them and finally running across collectors online. I realized I could call my old toys a collection and have a good reason to hang on to them even if they weren't being played with.
The only break I feel I took with the brand was around the whole core 7 downfall. I stopped buying for a few years and kind of started moving on to other things, although I could never bring myself to get rid of my collection. Then my dad ran across the 1st episode of FiM and recorded it for me. Once I got past the initial shock of the change in tone and style, and the fact there was even going to be a regular TV series, I got super hooked again!
Everyone all through my childhood and well into high school always told me I'd outgrow the ponies one day. I'm honestly so proud I can now say well into college that they were wrong. ;) My love for colorful horses isn't going anywhere!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline BeckyWaters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
  • Need More G1 and G2's, But who doesn't?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2018, 04:30:27 AM »
My first pony was flat foot Minty, then I got Star Shine followed by Wave dancer, BBE Lofty and Tuneful. I also had the Cotton Candy MLP bag. I lost The bag, Star shine, Lofty and my Minty. I have my sisters Minty. I still have Wave dancer but I lost her shell, and I still have Tuneful. I re acquired Star shine, BBE Lofty but the bag is almost impossible to find. Star shine was my favorite.. Because we were very poor when I was a child they were the only ones I ever had.

Now I have at least 89 G1/G2 ponies I have been buying via ebay. I have a huge collection of G3s,  about 7 G3.5s (not a big fan) which is what got me back into collecting since 2003. And I have selected G4 and G4.5

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2018, 04:32:08 AM »
My first ponies were G1s, which were presumably given away at some point when my dad apparently thought my sister and I were "too old" for them, because I remember turning the house upside down and not finding them. :/ I got back into ponies on a nostalgia kick and collected them for a while, then rehomed most of them just to keep the ones that were replacements for my childhood favourites. There's less maintenance involved that way, although I do still need to sort the frizz at the end of Posey's tail! :P

Offline Bren41882

• Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 04:15:54 PM »
My fist ponies were ss North star, Medly, Flower Bouquet , And Sunnybunch I want to add them to my collection my childhood ponies were destroyed by a maggot infestation in our playroom when I was 13 I was devastated

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »
I do not remember having a lot as a kid, but I did hold onto my Medley and TAF Milky Way. After my two daughters were about 5 and 6, I found out that people were still buying them on ebay. So I bought my youngest a Cotton Candy for her birthday. That did it. From then on I was looking for all the old ponies I could find. Then I was buying G3 lots, cleaning them and selling them for money to put into G1s, and got hooked on the G3 as well lol.
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline ClosetAvalanche

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 04:52:51 PM »
I can't remember for sure, but my first pony was either So soft paradise or Masquerade. My fondest memory was debating on whether to buy Barnacle or Cheif. Mom kept telling me to hurry up. I ultimately decided on barnacle, because pirates!

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2018, 01:53:56 AM »
My first pony was Gusty.   I had seen a circus on TV that had a "unicorn" (one horned goat) and wanted to remember that so the next day while shopping with my Granny and she let me get a toy.   I had hoped there would be an all white unicorn but nope so Gusty it was that came home with me.   She also got me the Best of the West outfit for her although it doesn't fit unicorns that well. 

I was around 7 years old at the time and although I love horses, for some reason I had thought MLPs were silly up to then.  Fell in love with Gusty and was hooked ever since.   

Birthdays etc usually meant more ponies over the next years.   Then when I got old enough to go to yardsales on Saturday mornings on my bike, I uses to hit all the ones in my area and buy whatever ponies I could afford.   

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 03:45:29 PM »
My first my little pony was Posey. I was so young when I got her that I don't even remember it so it's like she's always been there. I played with my little ponies during the 80s and early 90s. When I was 18 I decided I wanted to start collecting ponies. I don't remember how I came up with that idea but I probably read about collecting my little ponies online and became inspired because the first ponies I bought as an adult were on Ebay.

I've recently taken up collecting again after having been on a hiatus for a very long time since now I finally have a big enough home to properly display a collection. Also I'm at a time in my life where I want a bit of nostalgia. I'll be 35 this year and my childhood feels so distant these days. Like a hazy happy memory of something which can never be again. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy being where I am in life, happy being 35, but I want to bring a part of my childhood with me into this time and place. It's my way of combining the happy past with a happy present into my own mix of awesomeness.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 06:53:59 PM »
I got some G1 ponies that my aunt handed down to me. She is seven years older then me and thought they were not cool anymore. I loved them! I got a few others from my parents and friends till the G2 came out. I did find a few puzzles at rummage sales! And the My Little Pony Movie on VHS also at a rummage sale! I did not have a lot as a child growing up but I loved all of it! :)

Offline CactusBloom

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Formerly leafcascade
    • View Profile
    • My Pony Blog - rileyspones
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 10:57:23 PM »
I played with G2 as a kid! I was too young to really have picked them out for myself, so my mom probably picked them for me, but I loved them.

I was "too old" by the time G3 came out, I was around 10, but they reminded me of my G2s (which I still had) and I asked my mom to get me some! And I just kept collecting them.

They were always so special to me I never gave them away. So when G4 came around I brought out my G2/G3 collection and haven't put them back!
Formerly known as leafcascade
Hope you have a wonderful day!

Offline forever_cuddles

• Beddy Bye Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2018, 09:24:05 PM »
I don't remember my absolute first pony, but some of my first ones were Moonstone, Mom and baby Surprise (I lost Mom Surprise when I was young), Wavedancer, and BBE Halfnote and the Ballet Dance School. I LOVED that Ballet Dance School Playset. It got used a lot! I remember my mom would laugh because I'd say "ballot" box instead of ballet box. I didn't know why that was so funny until years later. I have an Applejack with chopped hair which I have no memory of doing, but I suppose I did. I have a couple of baby sea ponies as well that I had from year 3.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal