collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Who were your first Ponies?

G1 - had as a kid
67 (64.4%)
G1 - got them as an adult
2 (1.9%)
G2 - had as a kid
5 (4.8%)
G2 - had them as an adult
0 (0%)
G3 - had as a kid
20 (19.2%)
G3 - had them as an adult
1 (1%)
G4 - had as a kid
2 (1.9%)
G4 - had them as an adult
6 (5.8%)
Something else and I will share in my reply
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Who were your first Ponies?  (Read 5070 times)

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Who were your first Ponies?
« on: March 10, 2018, 02:28:06 PM »
Bonus questions:

If you got into collecting as an adult but didn't have / play with / care about ponies as a kid, what was it about them that made you dive in?

if you had them as a kid, I'm curious to hear about "the itch" you had to reconnect with your ponies ... or maybe you never gave it up!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Who were your first Ponies?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
G1s. I was into them as a kid and watched the show.

The ponies I remember when I was really young were:
Windy-my first pony. Still need her back.
Sweet Pop-Uncle's dog chewed off her legs. 've reobtained her.
SS Gusty-Lost her in a move. I've reobtained her.
Shady-Still need her back.
Tug-Still need him back. Ooh if Bridge Direct makes Big Brothers again! :frolic:
Baby Wavedancer-I'm going to get her back eventually. Not high priority though.
Sweet Stuff-Still need her back.
Princess Tiffany-Still need her and Friendly back.

Later I added:
Mirror Mirror-Hoping to get her this year.
Sunnybunch-A school friend gave her to me. Need her back.
Dancing Butterflies-I've reobtained her.
Dazzleglow-My last childhood pony right before my mom decided I was getting too old for ponies. I've reobtained her.

I inherited my best friend's herd when Tales was starting to air.
Fizzy-I've reobtained her.
Whizzer-I've reobtained her.
Moondancer-Going to grab her when the 35th Anniversary Unicorns come out.
Baby Starflower
Lickety-split

I loved them dearly and I can't
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 02:41:48 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 02:39:40 PM »
I'm chose "something else". I started with G4, during the summer between Jr. High and High School, which I personally don't consider to be when I was a kid, but that's also not being an adult.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 02:46:07 PM »
The G3s were my sisters so my G4s that I bought when I was 11.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline ladygodiva

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 03:06:55 PM »
Muy first pony and only pony  in muy childhood was sweet stuff.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 03:22:32 PM »
G1 as a child. First pony, Windy the Rainbow Pony. Mother bought her for me for Christmas in we think 1984. She found her in BHS in Sutton Coldfield on a pillar of Rainbow ponies. She had never heard of them and nor had I but she thought they looked so pretty and they were not expensive so she got me one to see if I liked it. She remembers choosing between Windy and Moonstone. Also that she thinks Skydancer was there but she didn't like her so much. I am amazed she remembers so much about something from so long ago, but she even remembered how the card looked (it got thrown out) and when UK carded ponies first came up online she was right.

MOC Windy on UK card is still an absolute grail want, because I don't remember seeing mine that way. I just remember having her.

Baby Blossom was the trigger to get me really interested. She had accessories, and Windy and Baby Blossom ended up as Mum and Baby. Never did have Blossom xD.

I collected ponies from 1984 till 1993ish. Then I went to secondary school. Got into pop music. Put them in the attic because Mum said I'd regret it if I got rid of them (SHE WAS RIGHT!). But sister still had hers down (She's 6 years ish younger) and I was still playing with hers (Her first pony was a second hand Fizzy for her birthday in 1990). So a year later they came down again.

Then we discovered MLP was no longer in shops. I wrote to Hasbro and they told me MLP was ended. We got a few ponies from them and more from a clearance shop that we found out about from my sister's best friend's mum (sister's friend also played with ponies). Then Mum or Dad suggested we went to the local carboot sale. July 2nd 1995 - yes, I remember - we found our first carboot ponies, Lickety Split and Parasol. That might not seem exciting but I never had either of them as a kid, and they were pretty prominent pony characters. So I was really excited. I always loved the old ones best.

2 years of carbooting later, I went to a library and looked up MLP online (summer 1997), found the Trading Post and Dream Valley. (I was 15). Made a post (with parent permission) including our phone number. Had a phonecall from the US. My first trade partner. Did a big trade with her in Spring of 1998 in person and also got connected online at home.

And that was how it happened. :)

My sister was 8 when we started carbooting. It meant she got new ponies almost every weekend. Lucky brat ;)

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:24:11 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 04:08:26 PM »
I had g3s as a kid. I was never really into them, I just liked plaiting and brushing their hair (as opposed to chopping off my dolls’ hair :blush: ). I had quite a few fakies too, I didn’t mind, as long as they had hair to brush! I also had a fascination with putting beads in their hair, trying to imitate how the fakies sometimes came - except mine were a lot messier  :lol:
My g3s were Periwinkle, Magic Marigold, Mc Donald’s cloud dancer, and wind drifter. I’m 16 now so I would’ve got them at 3, 4, and 5.

When I was in year 3 (about 8) I started getting interested again. I wanted to buy a g3, but only g3.5s were out now. So I started to collect them. I had a lot of fun playing with them, and then I started asking friends if they had any unwanted ponies, and I got quite a good collection that way. I also got my first g1s (tootsie, kisscurl, cherries jubilee) from a friend. Tootsies neck has some weird chunks out of it (like it’s been eaten). This made me scared of the three of them, cpbecause I thought that whatever had eaten tootsie was living in them, so I always put them to the bottom of the bag, poor things!

I started carbooting in 2012 ish, and I haven’t stopped since! The majority of my herd are car boot rescues, aside from g4, which I have bought mostly new. I say I wasn’t really interested in them but they’ve stayed out of the loft and have never been considered for any car boot that we did, so I must have loved them quite a bit!

I have no idea if any of you can confirm this being real, but one memory of seeing g3 on shelves was in about 2007-2008 ish, in Hamleys London, and there were some pony statues on the top of the shelf, and then just a WALL of ponyville.

I also used to read the corral here and the tp all the time when I was younger, my friend found it when we were looking at ponies and I thought it was like an actual arena where events took place! I also thought that the TP was literally a post where people met up to trade ponies xD I was so excited when I could finally join!
Mlp Sunsparkle xx

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 04:26:58 PM »
My sister got Applejack and Baby Moondancer as a kid first.  So then I got Windy for myself.  Later I would get Pinwheel, Magic Star, Paradise and others.  I would be forced to get rid of them because they were girl's toys.  Couple years later tried getting back into collecting.  Got Magic Hat, Boysenberry Pie and others.  Again I was forced to get rid of them.  Fast forward to 1996-1997, I stop at a flea-antique market and I find a Baby Yo-Yo.  And that was the start of the hunt!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
My sister got Applejack and Baby Moondancer as a kid first.  So then I got Windy for myself.  Later I would get Pinwheel, Magic Star, Paradise and others.  I would be forced to get rid of them because they were girl's toys.  Couple years later tried getting back into collecting.  Got Magic Hat, Boysenberry Pie and others.  Again I was forced to get rid of them.  Fast forward to 1996-1997, I stop at a flea-antique market and I find a Baby Yo-Yo.  And that was the start of the hunt!

It makes me so sad to hear about people being forced to part with their ponies because of stuff like that. Ponies are for everyone and gender shouldn't matter. I'm glad you are able to collect them now.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 04:44:15 PM »
My first was a Twilight Sparkle blind bag I got back in 2012. At the time I didn't think I'd have much more than blind bags of the mane six. That didn't last long.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 04:55:05 PM »
I'm not sure between G1 and G2.
I don't remember my childhood ponies. I got the two gen as kids, that's all I'm sure about :blush:

My mother goth the show stabble with somes ponies as gift for me from a coworker whose girl where "too old". I remember she came back with it in a plastic bag, and she was scared by how it was bulky and ugly ahah.
Also, I do remember playing with a dance n'prance pony, not sure wich one exactly, I was bothered by the huge button on the chest.

I'm SURE I get plenty of G2 too, as they where the current ponies when I was a child. My child "boyfriend" stole some of his sister G2 ponies and CD for me, to impress myself. I feel ashamed for his poor sister now.

But wich one I did get first? Total mystery. Wich ponies I get exactly? Cannot remember. But I do remember VERY WELL of the Show Stabble's bed. Ahaha... memory... :blush:

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 04:57:21 PM »
I got G3s as a kid, it was aroung 2003 or something. I got the picnic set with Applejack and Spring Fever at my grandma's as a birthday gift, I was 5. I already loved horses so I quickly made a bond with the ponies and I always wanted more. I eventually got my stepsister's G1s and her only G2 so I grew up with at least each of every gen so far at the time, I also had a copy of the good old MLP the movie and I liked it at the time.

I then got many more ponies, the butterfly island playset, Merryweather and her ballon Lilly Lightly + Lullabelle pack, the theme park playset, plushies (including one giant laying Toola Roola my dad bought to me at the hospital after my appendicitis), Minty's Christmas DVD etc... I loved to see the ponies in shops, I wished I could get them all. =D I kept the advertisings to see the other ponies I didn't have and saw them all the time on the paper.
 Fun fact : I was already conserving their original boxes because they were their houses to me and I kept their brushes for each individual pony and had fun classifying them by color, brush gradients were pretty to me. ^^

So I literally did most of my childhood's time with ponies and I've always loved them.  When G3.5 came out, I discovered it by those ads that were in the pony boxes. When I saw them, they looked okay to me, but the more time I observed them, the more  I became so disappointed, I didn't like their designs at all and ended up really disliking them because they were just too weird looking. I was getting older, 8 or 9, maybe a tad more, so my parents didn't buy me any more ponies anyway.

So during G 3.5, I was starting puberty and all that, I played less and less with my ponies even though I loved them. That made me sad and I was wondering why I didn't play with them the way I did back then for so many time. But well, I put them in boxes and forgot about my ponies for a time.

Some years later, on July 2011, wandering the internet as always, I ended up discovering FiM and fell in love really quicly. I still remember watching S1 episodes at night, on an old laptop in the dining room, I was 13. ^^ But it didn't ring me a bell that it was G4, something brand new, I didn't know about gens at that time. I forgot about the toy aspect of the series. rofl. But it kept me into ponies  and I was still keeping all the ponies I had, I was lucky enough to grow up with parent's who don't automatically sell toys when you become "too old for toys" in their opinion.

It made me enjoy my ponies in a new way, that's when I started to put them on my bedroom's shelves as decoration, especially the playsets. Sometimes playing with them or something. I don't clearly remember those times. But I started to look for ponies in flea markets when I was a teen, I think. I especially asked my parents to find some for me. lol.

Still hooked to the show, in 2014 I made an unfortunate relationship with someone manipulating to make me think ponies are ugly and that I should stop collecting them. That's when I put them ALL in boxes. That person was really toxic and made me sad. I still watched FiM though, hiding it to him. I stopped looking for them in flea markets too.

Two years passed and I stopped this depressing relationship and nearly re-bonded with my ponies right after leaving him. I didn't have enough space so I kept them in the boxes, but I was loving them again, and looking for more and more again. I became more and more interested at how is it possible to restore them and all that, because they were in terrible shape, all dirty and frizzy. I looked for information and that's how I found the mlp restoration project and here's how I came here, passionate as ever. =D

So, yeah, that's how I became half old school pony fan and half "Brony". =D

Now, in present time, some of them are cleaned, some of them are from friends, flea markets, Mc Donald's exclusives, merch,... I document nearly everything I can, I restore them, I customize them, I make flutter wings,.... Around 20 of them are currently displayed in my paren't living room, all nice and clean. I can see them when I wake up, I hold them, pet them a little, observe them, remember them. At the moment, if I counted right, I have 152 ponies of all shape, gen and sizes. That makes me so happy, I want more and more of them, but cleaning them is time consuming. I'm also pretty reticent to clean them all up since they shall be stored in boxes anyway, so they'll end up with horrendously messy hair, that sucks. :lol: I won't have a pony room before many years, unfortunately, but I'm not loosing hope. ^^

Hope you like the story of my life with ponies. Have a great day !

Rose.
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 05:16:08 PM »
Gen one were the ones I had as a kid, I think wind whistler was my very first pony but i lost them.

Offline MerryAnvil

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • The Resident Blacksmith Pony
    • View Profile
    • Jordan's Pony Corner
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 05:57:19 PM »
My first pony was a G3 Strawberry Swirl when I was 5 years old and I did absolutely everything with her and took her everywhere (I did have other influence via the G2 PC game but at the time I didn't know about the toy line). However, I really only caught the 'pony bug' and started seriously collecting when I got my first G1s, Paradise and Steamer, when I was around 7 or 8. I was a very mature and...studious?...child, so I immediately took them home and got on the computer to research them. I found Dream Valley and I was completely hooked. I spent hours browsing people's custom galleries, finding and watching the old cartoons, playing the little pixel games on Ponyland Press, and printing out my PonyIsland ponies to keep as little paper dolls.

I was from the G3 generation though, so while I adored the G1s and G2s and searched for them at every thrift store, antique store and yard sale, reveling in the thrill of finding one among the Hot Wheels cars and Barbies, I also watched the G3 movies and filled my birthday and Christmas wishlists with My Little Pony sets. I even had a MLP-themed birthday party once. I cut out the point tabs on all my pony's boxes, along with my sister, and I can remember the joy I felt when I had saved up enough to send in for Love Wishes. I even got to go to the Disney Build-A-Pony when it was open, and carry my little box back to the hotel room and dress Strawberry Swirl up in the princess outfits and tiaras.

If you had them as a kid, I'm curious to hear about "the itch" you had to reconnect with your ponies ... or maybe you never gave it up!

I only stopped collecting seriously when G4 came out. I'd pick up a few ponies here and there, but I lost much of the desire to collect, customize, and draw them. To be perfectly honest with you, I was among the small population who were not so thrilled about the style change. It was likely just because I had grown up with the more horse/pony-like MLP, while G4s look so stylized and different; I will readily admit that I don't like change so I didn't deal with it well in the beginning.

But I recently (within the last two years or so) gave FiM a chance, and while I actively avoid some of the more questionable parts of the fanbase, most of the fans are awesome people and the show itself is really good and has a lot of great morals in it that really impressed me. I think a lot of cartoons are lacking that nowadays, so to see a show that relates to the youth population of today while still instilling good morals and having such a creative fanbase of children and adults alike is really amazing to me. And it was neat seeing how they integrated ponies from the older gens into the show, which made me, as a pre-FiM collector, smile.

It also re-ignited the desire to collect and create things involving ponies again. Now, I've completely warmed up to G4 (my little herd of them is growing by the day) and am looking forward to G5! This was a hobby I really missed, and I'm happy to be back at it again and glad that I put aside stubborn pride and gave it a chance!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:00:16 PM by dakotadarkhooves »

Avatar by Shaiyeh, sig by SquarePeg! <3 Check out my pony website here!

Offline Saphy

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »
As far as my memory tells me a plush g1 blossom I got from my aunt, I'm a 90s kid so guessing it was a hand me down
I still have her
Odd my first carebear was from my aunt on the other side lol (tender heart plush still have him too)
My aunts predicted well lol

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal