collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations  (Read 19582 times)

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
Re: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 12:42:31 AM »
"Game over for Toys R Us" is headling on my facebook feed. looks like they're closing down ALL stores no matter what country they're in....

Here in the Nordic countries the trademark Toys "R" Us is owned by a Danish company TOP-TOY, so not every TRU in the world is under threat. Even if the trademark for some bizarre reason would no longer be available for use in the future, I doubt the stores themselves would go away as they have other names they can use.

In my opinion tho there is not very much in common with the TRU's here and on the other side of the pond other than the branding...

How about other countries, who are the owners of the trademark around the world?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 01:21:15 AM »
I've read that in my country TRU is going good and they're not going to close here.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 02:45:10 AM »
This is so sad... TRU is the only toy store we really have here and there's only two in the entire state. Aside from TRU we have a small local toy store but its aimed at very young kids/babies. A new store just opened in the mall that had some toys so that's something I suppose, although its expensive and has a very limited selection. Walmart and Target don't have good selection, layouts, or lighting. Shopping for toys at my local stores is always dark and sad. I don't know what store could take TRU's place but I really hope there's still a demand for physical toy stores.

Maybe I'll try and stop by during our shopping tomorrow. I never got a chance to buy any American Girl stuff there so it would make a nice last purchase to get an outfit or something.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2018, 05:39:29 AM »
Should Australians be worried about Toys R Us here with Amazon planning to move into our market in the new few years?

I don't think Amazon is the main thing hurting TRU. They were still pretty busy. The problem is they took on a lot of debt in the early 2000s that they still haven't paid off. All the money they made was only able to cover the interest.

I never did get that big pack even tho I wanted it. I didn't want to pay full price and it was never in stock when they were having a pony sale.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 05:44:12 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2018, 05:54:00 AM »
Should Australians be worried about Toys R Us here with Amazon planning to move into our market in the new few years?

I don't think Amazon is the main thing hurting TRU. They were still pretty busy. The problem is they took on a lot of debt in the early 2000s that they still haven't paid off. All the money they made was only able to cover the interest.

The way Australian companies/stores are talking about Amazon it seems they're preparing for some kind of apocalypse, with their entire market being stolen (online shopping in Aus is terrible, Amazon here will be amazing if they have the same stock as internationally and cheap postage).
I work for a major company in their Grocery division, they're acting as if their clothing/homeware/etc stores are doomed once Amazon enters Australia. (They recently shutdown their entire gardening/hardware division due to competition).

Last year when the news broke there was reassurance that Aus TRU would continue business as usual... but UK closures being announced to follow US has me a little worried. When it comes to toys I do shop at many stores, and TRU is at the the bottom of my list because their prices are high and their closest location is no longer worth the trip for me since I moved. But maybe since we have less stores in Australia at only 45 they'll be able to sustain themselves?

Sorry is this is a little off-topic to the US closures. How solid is TRU on a global scale? Surely if they're crashing overseas they won't survive everywhere for much longer?
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2018, 06:44:49 AM »
Honestly I'm not surprised. Though mine say they aren't going anywhere  :lookround: it's a trainer store they haven't updated since the early 2000s it's prime for the chopping block despite the foot traffic. I keep getting updates on the bankruptcy due to working seasonal with them in the last 5 years. (Honestly such a waste of paper/junk mail) I'll be sad to see it go because it's the biggest selection of toys in town even if most of it is old stock. Stuff rarely moves unless there is a sale.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2018, 07:49:09 AM »
I think it will depend if like Scandinavia, there is a seperate company holding the license for the brand.

Amazon has not killed TRU. Mismanagement has. The online issue is that TRU have a clunky website and don't compete well. UK store Entertainer and Irish store Smyths are holding up ok in the same market thus far. Both have functional websites but they also price more competitively. Monster High dolls still clearancing in Smyths are down to £7 each so they sell  TRU is closing but still charging £15 for the same dolls. The market here us tentative and uncertain because of Brexit. None of these factors really are caused by Amazon.

Seems likely that other TRU in other countries  under other control will survive. The reason it has failed here is the failure to find a buyer to take it on.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2018, 08:02:47 AM »
Ugh, ours had better stay open. The only place really nearby is Walmart, and they are very slow to put out new product, and there's only one 4 foot section for pony. At least our Targets do pretty well, especially the Super Target. But I need to get on the bus to get over there.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2018, 08:14:06 AM »
I'm so used to TRU being in shopping centers by freeways and major roads. I didn't know about the out-of-the-way warehouse business model.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2018, 11:28:00 AM »
"Game over for Toys R Us" is headling on my facebook feed. looks like they're closing down ALL stores no matter what country they're in....

Here in the Nordic countries the trademark Toys "R" Us is owned by a Danish company TOP-TOY, so not every TRU in the world is under threat. Even if the trademark for some bizarre reason would no longer be available for use in the future, I doubt the stores themselves would go away as they have other names they can use.

In my opinion tho there is not very much in common with the TRU's here and on the other side of the pond other than the branding...

How about other countries, who are the owners of the trademark around the world?

i'm hoping thats the case and its just a matter of bad wording in the articles I was checking out.
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2018, 11:31:55 AM »
I found this:
https://news.sky.com/story/toys-r-us-seeks-bids-for-european-arm-as-uk-heads-for-collapse-11267248

But it may be out of date as it's from February. And it doesn't say whether they have a buyer.

My European languages are a bit rusty but I couldn't find any evidence in French for closures in Europe and the French site looks ok at the moment. So maybe they did find one.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:35:55 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2018, 12:33:20 PM »
I'm hoping they make a decision soon so I can pounce on that 12 pack from Christmas..

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »
The nearest TRU to me is about two hours away, and well out of my way, and my walmart has skipped entire waves. I do have  target 45Min away, but the bus does not go there.

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2018, 02:42:15 PM »
nooooooo ... I'm not over KB Toys closing down yet.

The TRU closest to me one weekend was open and then I drove by it a week later and it was GONE ... sign taken down and everything. This was last year, I was in shock!

Offline FiddlePhan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://myworld.ebay.com/specialefxgreetings
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 08:26:10 PM »
I’ve seen in the news again and again today and yesterday that Toys R Us in the US is shutting down ALL stores and urging customers that if they have gift cards to use them ASAP as in a few weeks they may be useless.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal