collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations  (Read 19633 times)

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2018, 01:57:00 AM »
Yes, we have heard here that all US stores will be closing down as TRU are going in to liquidation. Apparently the stores here are not in danger so they say. But then that is what they would say, isn't it?

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2018, 02:50:00 AM »
Yes, we have heard here that all US stores will be closing down as TRU are going in to liquidation. Apparently the stores here are not in danger so they say. But then that is what they would say, isn't it?

Hopefully as many countries are spared as possible in this. But I think it all depends on whether there is a buyer or not or whether TRU branches in other places are already controlled under licence by separate companies not caught up in this.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2018, 06:58:26 AM »
I've read several articles that mentions a buyer for the Canadian branch and that this potential buyer may buy up to 200 ( one article said 400) U.S. stores.  I guess that's the best we can hope for.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2018, 08:19:32 AM »
I've read several articles that mentions a buyer for the Canadian branch and that this potential buyer may buy up to 200 ( one article said 400) U.S. stores.  I guess that's the best we can hope for.
MGA Entertainment is someone interested in buying some stores:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/omaseddiq/2018/03/15/bratz-billionaire-calls-toys-r-us-closing-devastating-toys-with-buying-it/

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2018, 11:39:18 AM »
I hope MGA does buy it. It would be really sad to see the last big toy store disappear :\ Even if their prices were high.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
As much as I wish there was someone going to swoop in and save them all or at least some I am not hopeful.

I think this is the end, at least in the United States (and the UK) for now. I will greatly miss Toys R Us. Articles report that they are starting to tell some store employees to start thinking about other jobs.

It is a HUGE blow to the toy and collectible industry. I just hope it can adapt and recover. If not, imagine our selection being even more limited, or worse, costs increasing.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 02:36:22 PM by Foxtale »
~Foxtale~

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »
It is a HUGE blow to the toy and collectible industry. I just hope it can adapt and recover. If not, imagine our selection being even more limited, or worse, costs increasing.

I'm also worried about this.
The toy companies will end up taking a hit... Reading a report now that Toys R Us is 14% of Hasbro's sales. :/ That's a huge chunk...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2018, 02:47:45 PM »

The toy companies will end up taking a hit... Reading a report now that Toys R Us is 14% of Hasbro's sales. :/ That's a huge chunk...

Well Hasbro will probably be fine- their products are sold via many different big box stores- so chances are, people will continue to buy the same things elsewhere.

But smaller toy companies, who distribute only through TRU or through a couple of distributes, are probably very worried (if not in full out panic)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2018, 02:58:50 PM »
I think it is a bigger blow in the US, if there's no other designated toy store over there now. We have others which have basically taken up the market. One of them even looked at buying parts of TRU, and I suspect they gobbled up some of the stock. We also then have supermarkets like Tesco and Asda which stock MLP, and Wilkinsons has begun to stock them more and more of late, I've noticed. Wilkinsons/Wilkos is I think a bit like your Target in that it has a range of all kinds of things.

There are also some little independent toy stores around. One I know near me is stocked to the gills with G4 stuff at the moment.

So I'm not too worried from that point of view for the UK. We have other toy stores which are the bigger reason TRU has folded. Our news even said so. TRU basically got undercut by the growth of Smyths and it was the final straw with everything else going on :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2018, 03:05:25 PM »

Well Hasbro will probably be fine- their products are sold via many different big box stores- so chances are, people will continue to buy the same things elsewhere.

But smaller toy companies, who distribute only through TRU or through a couple of distributes, are probably very worried (if not in full out panic)

Of course they will be fine, sure. But that's still a hit-- and there will be changes (Although most are probably implemented). Some companies straight up stopped distribution back when they announced bankruptcy so that they wouldn't take a hit.

The company that I work for has been affected and TRU isn't even a big account for them. We aren't even a toy company... 

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2018, 07:24:36 PM »
Going-out-of-business sales begin 3/22 at most locations!

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-massive-toys-r-us-going-out-of-business-sales-begin-1823953347/amp?utm_medium=sharefromsite&utm_source=io9_twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I don't know if I'll actually go there tomorrow since my mom and I have large grocery shopping to do (my dad gets paid every other Thursday), but if I don't I'll try to go again on Friday! There's some TRU-exclusive things I want to get but didn't want to pay full price for, such as the set with Celestia, Luna, and Cadance ($21 for three ponies is too much IMO) and the EqG Minis with the glitter on their hair.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
I'm feeling very hopeful that TRU Canada will be saved. Apparently they have several bids for new ownership which could include 200 US stores. Fingers crossed! It also looks like the European stores have some offers too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/toys-r-us-canada-1.4584120

http://business.financialpost.com/news/retail-marketing/multiple-suitors-line-up-with-offers-for-toys-r-us-canada

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2018, 11:37:20 PM »
I know where I'm going on Saturday! I hope some of the stuff we were eyeing is included in the sale, since I'm not sure how they're gonna handle the American Girl stuff.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2018, 07:34:42 AM »
I know where I'm going on Saturday! I hope some of the stuff we were eyeing is included in the sale, since I'm not sure how they're gonna handle the American Girl stuff.

Likely the AG will be shipped back to Mattel... after all, the American Girl toyline lost over $70 million last year. 

The entire shipment of "Holiday Sales" toys was extended to TRU on credit and they totally failed to repay the debts.  Hence the headlines... it's common for the contract with the store to have a separate/specific display area, they pull their product back if it doesn't sell.  LEGO will be demanding their product back, AG will, probably some of the higher-end things like drones will have to be shipped back to the warehouse/HQ of said company.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal