collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations  (Read 19492 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Toys ‘R’ Us Is Said to Ready Liquidation of U.S. Operations
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2018, 10:28:00 AM »
I wonder whether there's a conflict of interest issue involved in this...that they think there'd be too much of a controlling interest from one toy company and thus not a fair market for the others...

I know sometimes monopolies like that are rejected even when a stable bid to protect consumer choice.

Hopefully someone else will come in at the last minute.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2018, 10:33:53 AM »
I haven't seen any information why the bid was rejected, aside from the fact that it doesn't meet the criteria necessary for a successful bid, what ever that means.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »
Wouldn't be surprised if it was to prevent monopoly. He wasn't the only one who didn't qualify, which makes me wonder what those qualifications were. I felt like maybe it wasn't a high enough bid? But it's more likely for other reasons.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2018, 01:03:09 PM »
I haven't seen any information why the bid was rejected, aside from the fact that it doesn't meet the criteria necessary for a successful bid, what ever that means.

It probably means that he wasn't offering enough money. Now he could offer more money or bid on less stores and see if that gets approved. I don't think a "monopoly" is an issue since even if he was only going to stock MGA products it's not like specialty stores tied into a single brand don't exist. If anything making MGA-centric stores Could spur Mattel and Hasbro to have their own experiental store presence similar to the Lego Stores.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2018, 05:41:24 PM »

It probably means that he wasn't offering enough money. Now he could offer more money or bid on less stores and see if that gets approved. I don't think a "monopoly" is an issue since even if he was only going to stock MGA products it's not like specialty stores tied into a single brand don't exist. If anything making MGA-centric stores Could spur Mattel and Hasbro to have their own experiental store presence similar to the Lego Stores.

I tend to agree with this.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2018, 08:17:46 AM »

I tend to agree with this.

But we're not talking about a store under the MGA brand but one under a known global brand that has no particular toyline allegiance. Larian clearly hesitated on making the offer and tried to get other toy companies involved for a reason. I would be really surprised if he didn't think of the monopoly issue as well. There's a difference between starting your own store from scratch under your brand and taking on another brand and using it to sell your products. From what Larian's quotes say it suggests that he wanted to make it a toy shop, not an MGA toy shop. That means a conflict of interest which could potentially be challenged, legally, by other companies like Mattell and Hasbro later on.

Two separate issues.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2018, 11:29:16 AM »
But other companies buy out other companies all the time.  I mean if Disney hasn't been hit by monopoly laws by now ( and they own almost everything entertainment) then I don't see how this could be considered a monopoly.  Other toy brands can always sell through the big box stores, the small family stores or start their own toy stores.  Look at it this way,  if TRU just goes away then that's what they would all have to do anyway.  I don't think the reason Larian wanted other companies in on it was because of potential monopoly issues.  He wanted others help because he knew it was going to be costly and time consuming to save TRU.  He was wanting others to share the burden, financially and otherwise, so if the whole thing goes bust then he isn't completely impoverished.  The other companies backed out because they see this venture as too big a financial risk.

At any rate,  I'm sure we will find out more details and here the full story in a couple months.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2018, 12:02:20 PM »

I would be surprised if it wasn't one of the factors. Nothing is making him bid except his own passion for the store, and he wouldn't have done that if there was a risk he'd go bankrupt. Nobody makes his kind of fortune by being sentimental. He would have had a realistic business plan behind his bid. Which means that probably monopoly was one of the considerations, both by himself initially and also others. Yes, shouldering the burden is better, but he woulodn't have made a bid if it was going to jeopardise the rest of his business.

In any case, it ultimately doesn't matter. All that really matters is whether TRU survives. It's already done for here, but its roots here are not as deep.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:04:17 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »
I think this summarizes it.

Larian's bid apparently did not match the liquidated value of the assets he was attempting to buy, insiders said.

Toys R Us, under bankruptcy law, has a responsibility to its creditors to maximize the value of its assets in order to pay off its debts.

"It's all about the dollars," said veteran toy journalist Jim Silver, editor of toy review website TTPM. "The court has no emotional ties to the decision. It's about the liquidated value."

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #116 on: April 21, 2018, 04:46:01 AM »
Which is why toys are still only 10% off. If they play to long, there won’t be any interested buyers left.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 21, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »
I visited my local store for what's likely the last time ever. They were up to 40% off on some stuff, but most stuff was 10-15% off. They still had some stuff from a year ago, which surprised me since all of the newer stuff was just about gone.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 21, 2018, 03:16:04 PM »
 :cloud: I guess we've got a death date for our tru. June.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2018, 05:58:36 PM »
I went to TRU yesterday hoping to find some old stock, the only old stock they had brought it was the Fan Series Discord which I already had. They had also restocked the exclusive 4-pack of EqG Minis that is a couple years old, but they've consistently had it in stock ever since it came out (and I had that too, got it at the previous TRU trip when the liquidation sale first began). So I only walked away with two MLP Movie gift bags, one paper, the other fabric.

I was especially hoping they'd have some old Monster High or Ever After High stock, but there was next to nothing for either of those doll lines, just new stuff that was super picked over...

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal