collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Etsy package possibly going astray?  (Read 4091 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Etsy package possibly going astray?
« on: March 04, 2018, 02:40:40 PM »
Hi everyone,
I bought something off Etsy and to save on shipping, I requested it to be sent to my US mailbox.
However, Etsy got itself really confused, and sent the seller a garbled address reading:

My name
American Street Address
American Street Address

PORTLAND 97203
New Zealand

You might see the issue here!!
The tracking details say it is currently at Los Angeles International Airport heading out.

Spoiler
Mar 3, 2018 9:43pm  LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES Departed
Mar 2, 2018 6:04pm  CHICAGO, UNITED STATES Departed
Mar 2, 2018 12:46pm  CHICAGO, UNITED STATES Arrived
Mar 2, 2018 3:29am  ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS), US Processed Through Facility
Mar 1, 2018 1:09pm  CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, US Departed USPS Regional Facility
Mar 1, 2018 11:18am  CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER, US Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
Mar 1, 2018 7:36am  CHICAGO IL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER, US Departed USPS Regional Facility
Mar 1, 2018 4:10am  CHICAGO IL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER, US Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
Mar 1, 2018 2:55am  GARY, IN 46403, US Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
Mar 1, 2018 1:09am  ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS), US Arrived at Facility
Feb 28, 2018 4:52pm  GARY, IN 46403, US Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
Feb 28, 2018 6:59am  GARY, IN 46403, US Shipping Label Creat

Do I even guess where this could be??
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Etsy package possibly going astray?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 04:10:46 PM »
My experience with Chicago is that they don't really know the rest of the world outside North America exists. They always send my parcels to Canada because of the post code, and that's when they say UK on them. It always takes a while for them to click.

It may be that if the rest of the details are right aside the New Zealand, it will make it safely. I've also had the same sorting office send a parcel meant for Canada to California because they misread the CA and not anything that came after it.

So you have a better chance of it ending at your US address IF the other details (aside the country) are right. But if they can't deliver it it will likely go back to the seller. Have you warned them of the possibility??

Also...if the seller knows they're shipping to a US address, they're surely going to notice NZ on the address and either ask you about it or assume that it's a mistake and leave it off? After all, the shipping cost would be different for the two locations, so if you paid postage to the US, probably it's going to the US...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 04:52:28 PM »
Wait, I'm not seeing Los Angeles International Airport. I see that it says Los Angeles, but no mention of the airport.

Los Angeles and Portland are both on the West Coast, so unless I missed something, maybe it's still going to Portland and the post office has disregarded where the address says New Zealand.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:01:00 PM by northstar3184 »

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 07:02:43 PM »
If your parcel is going where I think it is going (I have a similar US address for shipping that I use) then hopefully it is fairly obvious destination and your package is on route from LA.

I had to add my US shipping address to paypal recently for a private purchase and it did a similar glitch, citing NZ as the country! Luckily I was able to contact my seller to give them the correct details! I hope your parcel makes it ok.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:37:18 PM »
Wait, I'm not seeing Los Angeles International Airport. I see that it says Los Angeles, but no mention of the airport.

Los Angeles and Portland are both on the West Coast, so unless I missed something, maybe it's still going to Portland and the post office has disregarded where the address says New Zealand.

Except the scan just now said:
Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND on March 5, 2018 at 12:32 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Thank you SquarePeg!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 12:54:49 AM »
Oh gees.... What a headache.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 04:33:43 AM »
I ran into this sort of thing before. I wanted to send something to a friend in Poland.

I can't remember much about it, except for I thought it stemmed down to wherever you made your paypal account is what country you set it up for. I think it's there so hackers don't go in and send items to another country.

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/Can-I-change-my-PayPal-address-to-another-country-FAQ1434

I had just told my etsy seller the address I needed to send it to, and she must of hand wrote the address.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »

Except the scan just now said:
Your item departed a transfer airport in INTERNATIONAL, AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND on March 5, 2018 at 12:32 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.

Sigh. That's annoying. In that case, I guess it maybe going back to the seller when it doesn't find an address in NZ. Strange, though, since the seller would surely have noticed...? Or someone would have noticed the fact the shipping wasn't enough to take it to NZ?

At least you can track its progress, but I admit it isn't very reassuring to see that on the tracking detail.

Re-reading that again it is JUST possible that it's being sent back to the US already, as it says it departed Auckland. If there's no way to trace where it's actually going in NZ, it seems hard for it to be travelling around between the islands or any particular city, so perhaps Auckland has rejected it and is sending it back?

I had this happen once with a parcel to Holland that went via China and it did say it was departing Beijing airport en route to the destination but what was actually happening is that it was being sent to Holland from Beijing airport sorting office. So either it's going back to the seller, or it's going to Portland. If it shows up as back in the US, I'd get your seller to contact the USPS about it, as I think it would have to be them rather than you.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 07:44:43 AM »
Oh fun!  :( 

You think that the seller would have noticed this error on the label before shipping it...  New Zealand is not a state and you wouldn't be asking for her to use your US address if you weren't in another country!
Gah.  At least it's tracked.  I hope that you are able to get it shipped correctly to your US address without too much hassle (or shipping costs...)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 11:46:23 AM »
I would let youshop know and nzpost on this side. Should the parcel arrive in nz then nzpost will have details for you record. Nzpost here does not talk directly to youshop as one would assume they do so notify both

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 06:58:39 PM »
WELL it gets stranger.
NZ Post gave up and declared it missing.
This is the current tracking:

Spoiler

IT'S IN THE NETHERLANDS.
WHY?!

Thank you SquarePeg!

Offline nhal039

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2018, 01:24:36 AM »
Did you question NZ post as to what happened to it when it arrived in NZ?

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2018, 02:07:25 AM »
Did you question NZ post as to what happened to it when it arrived in NZ?

Yup. And they officially, said they had no idea.

Thank you SquarePeg!

Offline nhal039

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 02:37:13 AM »
I just wrote a long winded post that I am now re-editing as it didn't suit your situation. That's really strange what happened to your item I hope it's not lost for real in a time travel abiss

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 02:43:05 AM by nhal039 »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
Ok. That is a very weird development. Unless it is a stop off point en route BACK to NZ, since there's no absolute direct flights (though I do know that doesn't make sense, geographically, after my experience with Heathrow nothing surprises me.)

The tracking suggests it is bouncing back and forth between US and NZ because nobody in the depots of either are smart enough to read the label and use common sense about where it should be going.

So Netherlands may be a stop off point for some reason. Unless they're trying that because Netherlands also begins with an N and they've run out of ideas? (could equally be an alphabetic system error as I imagine Netherlands and New Zealand are close together in a computerised dropdown list).

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:29:24 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal