collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sticky paint?  (Read 511 times)

Offline Dreamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Sticky paint?
« on: March 04, 2018, 12:55:56 AM »
So I recently decided to give my WIP custom a new coat of paint because the last one was lacking... the thing is, I no longer have the old acrylic I used for it and I cannot find it in stores anymore, so I just mixed some paint to get almost the same shade. Thing is, despite technically being dry (i let it dry for days...) it still has this sort of stickiness that attracts dust particles like honey attracts flies. I suppose this will not bare well for the following years. What can I do?

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 01:04:12 AM »
Clear acrylic sealant may be a short term solution, but unfortunately sticky paint is usually a sign of an undesirable chemical interaction that isn't going to go away.  Best would be to strip the whole custom and start again with a different paint.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:25:46 PM »
I agree with Sugarberry. If paint doesn't dry after a couple of days, it's hard to do much about. Sealant such as Testor"s Dulcoat or other aryclic sealers might be something to try, but you may have to start over. :(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:42:07 AM »
I've noticed some acrylic brands tend to stay rather sticky when used on ponies, these have mainly been artist acrylics. For me, polyurethane sealant has solved the problem - the tricky part is keeping the dust (and in my case, cat hair...) away before the paintjob is finished. It may be worth a try, unless you want to start over and try a different brand of paints! Good luck :) 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal