Pony Talk > Toy Box & Games Cupboard

Are old sawdust filled toys fine to collect?

(1/2) > >>

DappledHazel:
I'm quite new to collecting old stuffed animals and I was wondering about 60's sawdust filled stuffed animals, are these generally fine, if not is there a way to tell?
I found some really cute ones on eBay but when I mentioned it to a friend they said something about them probably being infested with mites and other bugs that could live off sawdust.
I apologize if this is a silly question but after hearing about possible bugs I'd like to know if this is something likely to occur or not?

The only thing I've really ever collected was ponies and other plastic stuff that can be easily taken apart and cleaned, but old stuffed animals not so much.

[moving to toy box ~ Kiwi]

Khoufu:
Personally I'd avoid buying those online unless it's from a collector community. If they get damp, it can be the end of the line for them. I had to toss out a sawdust filled Smurf plush cuz it started reeking of mold from the inside.

DappledHazel:

--- Quote from: Khoufu on February 27, 2018, 12:11:14 PM ---Personally I'd avoid buying those online unless it's from a collector community. If they get damp, it can be the end of the line for them. I had to toss out a sawdust filled Smurf plush cuz it started reeking of mold from the inside.

--- End quote ---
I didn't even think about mold. I'm not sure if this one seller is a collector but the one they have listed looks clean and it still has the tags.

I wonder if re-stuffing them is possible, if it's bad enough or if the sawdust is a concern.

Khoufu:
I'd say restuffing is a case by case basis. Remove the stuffing, wash the fabric, and see if it's clean enough to keep. And always ALWAYS ask able any odors.

SaraMari:
I think restuffing would be doable and a good idea. Although I don't know much about stuffed animals particularly antique ones I have seen many good restuffings on this site: https://doctorbeth.tumblr.com

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version