collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: rant rant rant eBay rant  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
rant rant rant eBay rant
« on: February 27, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Seriously. Seriously? Seriously.

Nothing annoys me more with eBay than the sheer absurdness of those who take my money and run on eBay. It certainly won't work in their favor, and I have had long-time members of eBay do this- people with accounts reaching back as far as 2003.

I even had someone claim they couldn't send me my winnings because my address was not verified. I called eBay and I was like, "wtf what? is this really a thing?" The customer rep dude said whatever was the problem with the transaction wasn't me and everything was in order. This was after having 100% feedback that were mostly buys, so over 120 buys at the time made it to me without a problem. They sent me a message saying that they had to do "something" manually because of it. I have no idea what happened there or what they would be referring to, but it makes me cranky when the seller stands between me and the thing I bought from them after I paid.

rant rant rant rant grawr

howbowyu? Ever have a situation that happened that made your head tilt?
Possibly some other annoyance?

plz share~

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: rant rant rant eBay rant
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 09:51:18 AM »
How frustrating, 120 buys is a lot of buys! Where did they pull "not verified" from?
I have no horror stories, just small qualms with listings.
First of all, there are a plethora of ponies listed in the wrong category (G3 lots in the Pre-1990 section, stray G1 ponies in the after-1990 section), and I've seen it enough to make me wish for some sort of feature (other than direct contact, I'm a scaredy-cat!) that lets us nudge it over? Suggest a different category? This doesn't happen a lot, but for how often I file through the Pre-1990 section, I'd expect to see G1 ponies and not a McDonalds Fluttershy.
Pictures taken from above being the only pictures in the listing. I know you can ask for more pictures and if you are picky, then you really should, but is it too much to ask for at least one side view?
Common G3's being increased in price to $10-15 a pop because someone bothered to style the hair...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 10:24:36 AM »
How frustrating, 120 buys is a lot of buys! Where did they pull "not verified" from?
I have no horror stories, just small qualms with listings.
First of all, there are a plethora of ponies listed in the wrong category (G3 lots in the Pre-1990 section, stray G1 ponies in the after-1990 section), and I've seen it enough to make me wish for some sort of feature (other than direct contact, I'm a scaredy-cat!) that lets us nudge it over? Suggest a different category? This doesn't happen a lot, but for how often I file through the Pre-1990 section, I'd expect to see G1 ponies and not a McDonalds Fluttershy.
Pictures taken from above being the only pictures in the listing. I know you can ask for more pictures and if you are picky, then you really should, but is it too much to ask for at least one side view?
Common G3's being increased in price to $10-15 a pop because someone bothered to style the hair...

yeeeeeessss

I believe that you should be required to have at least 4 views of an item, not necessarily all different photos, but I would like to see what the other side also looks like.

...unless it's a true bait pile, which it's not often I buy just for customs.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 04:15:51 PM »
Ehhhh it's not a hard thing to verify - Ebay and Paypal just need to verify that your billing address on your CC/bank account is the same one as your mailing address. 

Sometimes that verification falls through the cracks IF you are an oldtime Ebay user!  The problem is not actually the seller's fault, but Ebay's system does warn them that IF they choose to send to an unverified address, it voids all their seller protection and insurance :(  It's NOT advised to mail to people who don't have a verified address, actually, as best practice even on THIS forum :) 

Glad you got that little speed bump over with and happy buying on Ebay now that your address has been verified :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
What gets me is recently I’ve had 3 items I purchased that haven’t been sent. Two were actually marked shipped the other never marked shipped and I still had to wait almost a month before I could open a case and then wait an extra amount of time before I could get my refund. Now when there are no replies to my messages and they’ve just taken my money and ran, I believe I’m entitled to get my money back quicker than what I do but that’s probably just me being bitter over the whole situation.

Offline Stiletto

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 08:27:28 PM »
Being "non-verified" is actually a safety precaution within PayPal not eBay in an effort to make sure you are the rightful owner of the account.  It's super easy to do and takes about 30 seconds.   eBay reminds sellers they should only ship to VERIFIED addresses because shipping to a "non-verified" address is statistically riskier then shipping to a verified address.

If a seller ships to a "non-verified" address eBay voids all seller protections and the seller loses out.  So if anything at all goes wrong with the sale eBay can tell the seller "Well, too bad, so sorry, we told ya so!", and the seller not only loses money, but also gets a ding registered on their account (which ultimately affects their ability to sell on the platform, their sales conversion, and their bottom line). 

Did the seller initiate a cancellation of the sale because you didn't have your account verified?  If so, eBay dinged them again for having to do that.  Did you leave them neutral or negative feedback? That's another ding.  Did you verify your account and they shipped the item late?  That's potentially another ding for them for a late shipment.  So you can see how frustrating it can be for a seller as well.

Granted, it sounds like the seller could have handled it a little differently and explained everything to you, but that's on them.  And it's even sadder that the eBay rep didn't think to mention that eBay tells sellers not to ship to unverified addresses. At the end of the day you have an unhappy seller as well as an unhappy buyer and nobody wins.  Except eBay!  They still got their money.

TL;DR - eBay is flawed, sellers aren't perfect, but you should have a verified PayPal account.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:08:05 PM »
Do you live in a rural area where your mail is not delivered to your home?

We have a funky postal system where I live. I do not receive delivery to my house, with the exception of UPS and FedEx. If I were to get a mailbox and get delivery to my home, my mailing address and physical address would be 2 different towns with 2 different zip codes, but they'd have the same street # and street name. If a seller doesn't ship to P.O. Boxes, then I enter my physical address. The package then goes to our post office, and our postal worker will put the item or a slip in my P.O. Box as if the item was addressed to my P.O. Box.

I went to buy something through Ebay last week, and it said it couldn't place the order because the seller doesn't ship to P.O. Boxes. So I figured "okay", entered my street address and tried again. I got an error saying my street address could not be verified. The error said that there was a possibility I may not receive my item. I proceeded with the purchase anyway, because even though my mail will not come to my house and will go to post office instead, I've never had an issue with not receiving packages. I did receive my item, but this has happened up before. I've had a couple sellers tell me when they took my package to the post office to send that they were advised my address couldn't be verified. The sellers then double-checked with me and sent the items, which I received.

So I'm wondering if you've been experiencing something similar. Although I haven't had any issues with Ebay/Amazon/Arena sellers yet, I have had issues with other companies. For instance, I had to get a replacement SIM card to reactivate an old cellphone, and Tracfone advised me they could not ship the card to my street address because their system said it was invalid.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:14:31 PM by northstar3184 »

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 10:04:13 AM »
After years of being verified my account suddenly with no apparent reason says unverified sometimes. I have no idea what the problem is, but my addresses are the same ones I have used since 2000.  Then sometimes it says verified. I don't really have an explanation for this but, it has not caused me any problems at all.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:18 AM »
Being "non-verified" is actually a safety precaution within PayPal not eBay in an effort to make sure you are the rightful owner of the account.  It's super easy to do and takes about 30 seconds.   eBay reminds sellers they should only ship to VERIFIED addresses because shipping to a "non-verified" address is statistically riskier then shipping to a verified address.

If a seller ships to a "non-verified" address eBay voids all seller protections and the seller loses out.  So if anything at all goes wrong with the sale eBay can tell the seller "Well, too bad, so sorry, we told ya so!", and the seller not only loses money, but also gets a ding registered on their account (which ultimately affects their ability to sell on the platform, their sales conversion, and their bottom line). 

Did the seller initiate a cancellation of the sale because you didn't have your account verified?  If so, eBay dinged them again for having to do that.  Did you leave them neutral or negative feedback? That's another ding.  Did you verify your account and they shipped the item late?  That's potentially another ding for them for a late shipment.  So you can see how frustrating it can be for a seller as well.

Granted, it sounds like the seller could have handled it a little differently and explained everything to you, but that's on them.  And it's even sadder that the eBay rep didn't think to mention that eBay tells sellers not to ship to unverified addresses. At the end of the day you have an unhappy seller as well as an unhappy buyer and nobody wins.  Except eBay!  They still got their money.

TL;DR - eBay is flawed, sellers aren't perfect, but you should have a verified PayPal account.
Ahh, that makes sense, I couldn't remember there being something like that on eBay itself. Now it just confuses me as to why the system messed up, as it sounds like it did.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 10:49:54 AM »
After years of being verified my account suddenly with no apparent reason says unverified sometimes. I have no idea what the problem is, but my addresses are the same ones I have used since 2000.  Then sometimes it says verified. I don't really have an explanation for this but, it has not caused me any problems at all.

Ditto and ditto. O.o.

But then again Ebay let me add my university address for something recently that I needed in London and there's NO way to verify that address as it's a student hall and not only did ebay not care, nor did the seller because I got my item just fine o.O.

Oh well.

I won't even begin on the dishonest seller thing. Still smarting from my experience in February. Too soon.

Sellers who use couriers that drop to pick up shops without checking that that's ok is also a bugbear of mine, as I can't drive and can't navigate and actually have to have someone come with me and spend half the day finding the drop off place. Sellers can also be really rude about this, as if it's not a real thing to not be able to navigate. I cannot imagine any circumstances in which it would be convenient to make up such a thing. I wish I could navigate, it would make my life a TON easier, not to mention less expensive.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 02:27:52 PM »
Things I hate on ebay/similar selling platforms:

1. A single pony is not a "lot." 
2. A custom made from a vintage pony is NOT a vintage pony and doesn't belong in the vintage category.  If I paint something on a canvas I've had laying around for 20+ years, the painting is not vintage.
3.  Your Peachy isn't rare.
4. COMB THEIR HAIR, MY GOD

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:48:20 PM »
urgh.. dishonest sellers everywhere these days!

I found a lot the other week that was titled "pre-2000 my little ponies and fakes". I collect both! I clicked so fast!

Not a single one in the entire lot of at least 2 dozen ponies and fakies was pre-2000. They even had a photo of a hoof stamp that read 2002!!!

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2018, 01:22:48 AM »
Things I hate on ebay/similar selling platforms:

1. A single pony is not a "lot." 
2. A custom made from a vintage pony is NOT a vintage pony and doesn't belong in the vintage category.  If I paint something on a canvas I've had laying around for 20+ years, the painting is not vintage.
3.  Your Peachy isn't rare.
4. COMB THEIR HAIR, MY GOD

I agree so, so much. 'RARE HTF VINTAGE COTTON CANDY, has a different number of spots on each side!!' was one of my favourite listings. I actually bid on her (as I didn't have CC) and got her for about £2. Now whenever I see her, I think, 'oh, there is that RARE and HTF pony!'

Also, 2 ponies is not a bundle!

Offline bluerose9978

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+450)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/bluerose9978/MLP
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 05:31:51 AM »
1. Sellers who list like 4 ponies for maybe $10 but then shipping is like $30 within the U.S.
2. Sellers who list a lot of maybe 10 common ponies for $500. Come on, do your research!
3. Sellers who list a lot of ponies with a BIN and give you a chance to make an offer, but they refuse every offer unless it's like $1 less than their BIN price.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 11:20:00 PM »
The word bundle, period. What is wrong with 'lot' anyway? :P

And good grief, yes. If you want good money for your item, bother to find out its name, clean it and brush its hair at least once. Also find out if it is actually rare. And if you don't feel confident cleaning the pony, which I can understand in some cases, at least make an effort to list the issues you can see.

I hate the fact you can list by phone now because it means you get auctions which have a description that basically says.

Vintage hasbro pony 1980s, rare.

And that's it. Pictures may speak 1000 words but a few more actual words would be very appreciated.

This also applies to buyers on ebay too though. I hate this lazy world of not bothering to read anything properly and then blaming others for that inattention.

I also really hate that tl;dr is a standard thing now - if you haven't the time or respect to read what someone has written without needing a summary, you're probably not the kind of ebay bidder who's going to bother reading the description on an auction, or terms of sale, or shipping costs. And frankly, the descriptions are not there because I like writing non-fiction biographies of the things I sell. It's there for the bidder's benefit.

I agree on Best Offer. I sometimes have my sales set up whereby it will auto-accept over a certain amount but I don't often have it set up to auto-reject unless it's something like I am selling a MOC G1 and someone is making offers of £10. (Which by the way is also very annoying, and has totally happened to me in the past).

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:22:00 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal