collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Deflock vs never flocked?  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Deflock vs never flocked?
« on: February 26, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
I recently learned that Wind Whistler has pink whistles under that flocking, so it is easy to tell if she was deflocked or never flocked.

Do any others have a "tell?"
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Deflock vs never flocked?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:02:03 PM »
Taffeta discussed differences in this thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=351159.0
Some of them aren't as obvious as other differences.
Aside from a few things, it seems like you just need to look for flocking between hair plugs and on the hooves to tell the difference.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
Wind Whistler with out flicking has pale pink and blue whistles compared to the deflock, which has bright pink whistles.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 03:02:12 PM »
I *think* Heart Throb has just the hearts (without the wings) on the SS version.
And unless it is the NSS three button variant, Buttons has only three buttons under her flocking not 5 :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »
I *think* Heart Throb has just the hearts (without the wings) on the SS version.
And unless it is the NSS three button variant, Buttons has only three buttons under her flocking not 5 :)

That's right! Heartthrob has just hearts under her flocking, but of course they aren't glittery :P

There is a 3 button version of Film Star Buttons as well as the buttons and stars version :faint:

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1987_mylittlepony.htm

Love pkw xxx

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 04:13:15 PM »
Also, most (if not all?) of the SS ponies are a LOT brighter than their NSS counterparts (those that HAVE NSS counterparts, I mean). NSS Wind Whistler is pale blue, for example, whereas a deflocked SS is a lot more vibrant in colour :)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 04:27:43 PM »
Taffeta discussed differences in this thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=351159.0
Some of them aren't as obvious as other differences.
Aside from a few things, it seems like you just need to look for flocking between hair plugs and on the hooves to tell the difference.

Apparently I did and yet have absolutely no memory of it O.o. I am going senile xD.

I'll add a postscript because I know there;s been a lot of discussion about Truly/Cupcake and black vs brown eyeliner on the movie star ponies (I have stopped giving in to peer pressure and calling them NSS since 2014 xD) but I have a Truly with brown and one with black eyeliner. I had thought the black one was maybe a deflock but I took her to ponycon last October and both PKW and LadyGuinevere have seen her and think that it's unlikely. So the eyeliner isn't a definitive answer in the case of black.

Gusty also has green eyes.

I have a general theory about Buttons and the fact we had 2 symbol versions here. I think the same may apply to the European (not UK) version of Cherries Jubilee from the 1986 set. Possibly also the Euro Lickety Split, and certainly 1986 Posey has the magenta symbol to match the SS, not the 1985 release. I think these ponies are probably centred around end of line bodies that would have been so soft but weren't. So production for the SS version continued but instead of being flocked, they were sold without fur on card in other places outside of the US.

Europe didn't have the large button symbol Buttons either and I know some people don't believe she exists as a regular pony - but she does. She was very common on the UK second hand market, more common than the one with buttons when I was collecting in the mid-late 1990s. The problem is we don't have one MOC, because many (not all) of the carded ones that survive come from other European countries, even those in English.

Carrehz is also right about the colouring though it's not always the SS that has the darker body. Shady under the fur isn't as bold as Shady without the fur. Wind Whistler under the fur is more bold than the one without. (And WW has the bicolour whistles as you mentioned).

Deflocking also leaves effects on the plastic.

I think the highest risk ones for 'faking' are Truly, Cupcake and North Star, personally. I actually think deflocking those should never happen unless the owner is willing to mark the hoof as a deflock. I suspect the variations in eyeliner and so on relate more to batch, but as we can't be definitive, it's better to be cautious. I think it unlikely many people are deflocking Posey and Cherries Jubilee (xD) so it's really Truly and Cupcake in particular where there's most need for vigilance and objective second opinions where possible in cases of doubt.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 04:42:30 PM »
I actually think deflocking those should never happen unless the owner is willing to mark the hoof as a deflock. I suspect the variations in eyeliner and so on relate more to batch, but as we can't be definitive, it's better to be cautious. I think it unlikely many people are deflocking Posey and Cherries Jubilee (xD) so it's really Truly and Cupcake in particular where there's most need for vigilance and objective second opinions where possible in cases of doubt.
Just echoing that marking the hoof would be a wonderful way to keep track!  :silly:

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 05:16:25 AM »

Deflocking also leaves effects on the plastic.

Yes :bigups: I have deflocked a fair number of ponies and can confirm this. The plastic is not quite the same after deflocking, often you find there are more pores and the plastic is more shiny. Sometimes a chemical smell is left, rather than a "pony" smell as well. The chemicals can also change the texture of the hair a little too.

Love pkw xxx

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 09:21:47 AM »
Thirding the notion of marking the hooves of deflocks. Just seems to me that if you alter a pony then marking the hoof is the honest thing to do. I mean, people can do what they want with their ponies, don't get me wrong, it's just you never know what'll happen to it in the future, y'know?

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 09:39:15 AM »
I only would deflock a pony if it really needed it. Otherwise I just leave them all alone. I also think marking ponies is a good idea. With whatever a person does with the pony like rehair ect.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 11:02:19 AM »
Thirding the notion of marking the hooves of deflocks. Just seems to me that if you alter a pony then marking the hoof is the honest thing to do. I mean, people can do what they want with their ponies, don't get me wrong, it's just you never know what'll happen to it in the future, y'know?

:bigups: I have always marked ponies, but I have had the experience of selling a pony, which I have marked, for the pony to later come up for sale and the mark has been removed -_-

Most of us know how to remove a pen mark, so carving DF or deflock into the hoof would be a way forward :)

I very rarely deflock now as it is not a process I enjoy.......

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 03:19:37 AM »
Hrm. That's a little concerning, PKW, because it suggests an active attempt to defraud by removing the mark of the customiser/deflocker.

I am not a fan of deflocking ponies for which there exists a regular version for the reason of potential fraud issues. I had thought marking the hoof would work, but I guess people are more dishonest than I thought :(

Most of the movie star ponies are not expensive and easy to obtain by trading with someone in the UK or Europe. There is no real value in deflocking SS versions of these for sale as fraudulent items. Truly and Cupcake alone remain expensive but also two of the most similar to the SS release in their regular forms. :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »
Hrm. That's a little concerning, PKW, because it suggests an active attempt to defraud by removing the mark of the customiser/deflocker.

She didn't my name under the feet, she wanted her name as they were her ponies and it was her idea.

*sigh*

Love pkw xxx

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 03:09:04 PM »
Regarding Magic Star, aren't they two completely different poses?
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal