collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Just need some opinions for an eBay transaction  (Read 1573 times)

Offline 01mlplover

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
Just need some opinions for an eBay transaction
« on: February 24, 2018, 07:27:12 PM »
I recently purchased a couple fantasy fillies off eBay. After receiving them I noticed one of them had been previously broken where you pull the lever to make them light up and it was glued back in place. I contacted the seller but they’re not replying. Would you leave a negative or neutral feedback? I got them for a decent price but they came very poorly packaged, just thrown in a box with no packing materials. I’m lucky they didn’t get broke then...

Forgot to mention, all the description said is that they no longer light up but otherwise good condition. The seller only has like 11 feedback and it’s been a couple days already.....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:35:34 PM by 01mlplover »

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
Re: Just need some opinions for an eBay transaction
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 08:30:13 PM »
I'd wait to see if they respond as to whether they knew about the breaks?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 08:44:33 PM »
Well, from my experience, if it wasn't disclosed or obvious in the photos, it may be worth your while to request a partial refund on them if you are wanting to keep the figures. This is coming from someone who is a stickler to study the pics and ask questions.

As a general rule of thumb, I give it about 10 days to wait for the seller to return my message, provided they are not a store (where it is their job and I figure they should not ignore their messages for too long when it comes to the transfer of goods for money) and a hobby eBayist that lacks courtesy because of crazy IRL stuffage who didn't bother to put their listing's away message up.

If you are okay with the purchase but not okay with how the seller is not communicating then I wouldn't bother with the partial refund. If the figures were grossly misrepresented and it appears deliberate that they hid the flaws and imperfections then I would go with the negative.

Though, if it is something that could be easily missed I'd err on giving them the benefit of the doubt, and leave it at a neutral. Again, this is provided that it's not someome's store where it's their job to ensure that their transactions go smoothly.

I hope this helps!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:46:07 PM by Sweet Daes »

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 12:35:45 AM »
As far as the re-glued piece, if the seller said the items are in "good condition" and didn't say "new", "mint", "like new", etc... then I personally wouldn't penalize them for that.

However, if they failed to adequately pack the fillies and had them loose in a box, then I would do something about that. I'll leave it to more experienced Ebayers here on the arena to advise on how to proceed with that aspect.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 07:12:42 AM »
Ooooof awkward, you have several issues here.

One, the undisclosed repair! Not working is one thing, covered in glue is another! 
Two, the packaging - thankful they didn't get broken in transit! 
Three, utter lack of communication
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 09:56:18 AM »
That sucks, I've been there multiple times.

Unfortunately as a fellow buyer, there are a wide away of bullpucky buyers. Makes things worse for us all. They complain and create issues where there are none in order to extract deep discounts, and too many do return scams against good sellers. Depending on your wording, if this seller goes to the ebay sellers groups and shares your message they could easily wonder if you are part of this group of awful buyers.

Now, If you want to return for refund, state that. Do not ask for partials.

Myself- I DO send message when I find undisclosed damage that could be easily found, poor packing etc. I tend to underbid on unknown people's stuff. I don't fully trust a non collectible expert to pack, and describe properly- so when I do encounter issues like these, I still haven't made a horribly awful purchase. (at least my track record thus far)

"Hello, First I would like to thank you for (something they did right).
I've been buying these as an online collector since (). Unfortunately there were a couple issues I wanted to bring to your attention. I am not looking to return these, but wished to make you aware (poor packing specifics that could easily result in damage, how it regularly results in damage, how to pack safely), as well as (about checking for damage carefully- details of undisclosed damage that could have easily resulted in an irate customer). Thank you for your time, and I do hope you find this information helpful in future sales
Kind regards"

What I really want, is some acknowledgement, and sellers to not do the same errors to future customers. People can't improve if they don't know what's wrong. People make mistakes, some don't know better yet. MANY people think insurance protects them so they don't need to pad, and the PO is gentle- both untrue. If they either thank me for letting them know and apologize, I am happy. If they become hostile that is where I bust out using poor reviews. Usually my messages are well received, I get some genuine apologies and thanks for info, some have (unasked by me) shot my PP back a few dollars.

If your original message could come across as hostile, try and apologize for that and clarify your issue. If the seller never gets back even with that (or if your message was informative and non-confrontational) leave appropriate feedback.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 10:01:45 AM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 11:27:39 AM »
I’m always careful with wording when I message eBay sellers. I have to do it quite frequently with items not described. This particular one just isn’t replying... I’ve been a buyer/seller for years so this isn’t my first go around, I just wanted some opinions on this particular case. A partial refund would be nice because I still spent a good amount for them. I don’t want to return them and be out more money...

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »
My apologies, I didn't mean to intend you sent off a message in anger or harshly worded.

And I fully understand where you are coming from. Last I checked (it's been a while since I've been ebay buying) sellers are under no obligation to credit buyers via partials for items not described. They do however have to take the item back if a buyer chooses in those cases.

Since you did word well, hopefully they simply need a little time to formulate a response and come up with how they'll fix this for you.

Sadly, if they ignore you, your other options are escalating with ebay which likely they'll ask about returning (which I also avoid because I too lose more money than keeping and reselling those items again honestly), or leaving poor honest feedback. :(

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 12:56:42 PM »
Yea, I’m just not sure if it’s a good enough reason to leave negative feedback since she’ll still display decently. I hate it when it’s hard to decide which feedback to use. I really hate using negative, the only time I’m 100% comfortable using it is when people never send my item and I have to wait for eBay to refund me.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:59:35 PM by 01mlplover »

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 02:41:38 PM »
a neutral still looks like poor FB. If it were me, I'd be tempted to leave something like this in neutral. NO idea if it breaks any rules, or would likely to be removed.

Repair undisclosed, zero padding for fragile item, zero response when notified.

Offline 01mlplover

• So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
That sounds reasonable to me... I’ll give it a few more days before I decide to leave feedback....

Offline Sweet Daes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Glitter is my best friend.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 06:00:37 PM »
a neutral still looks like poor FB. If it were me, I'd be tempted to leave something like this in neutral. NO idea if it breaks any rules, or would likely to be removed.

Repair undisclosed, zero padding for fragile item, zero response when notified.

@01mlplover

👍This is a good route to take. Just me being the peanut gallery  xP

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal