collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: $400 Cut-off for First Class Shipping  (Read 1729 times)

Offline jrr74

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
$400 Cut-off for First Class Shipping
« on: February 24, 2018, 10:25:44 AM »
I have a package I need to send overseas.  Because it has a value of over $400, I believe I have to ship it Priority Mail which practically doubles the cost of shipping ($23 to $46). 

I have read multiple times that never underestimate the value of a package because if it was to get lost, you could only claim up to stated value.  My question is that insurance only good while the package is still stateside?  Once it heads overseas, is the USPS still responsible  fir package if it gets lost?
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: $400 Cut-off for First Class Shipping
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »
No (question #1), but with limitations (question #2).

Here is the USPS webpage(s) about international priority mail insurance and indemnity:
https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc3_006.htm

https://pe.usps.com/text/imm/immc9_007.htm#ep1050013
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:42:09 PM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
Not exactly part of your question, but another shipping option is using a Priority flat rate padded envelope. It costs +/- $35 to send Priority international & you can fit 4-6 adult ponies in it. ;) It's just a little cheaper than the basic priority cost based on weight. You have to order the padded flat rate envelopes off usps.com, as most post offices don't carry them.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 02:52:01 PM »
Not exactly part of your question, but another shipping option is using a Priority flat rate padded envelope. It costs +/- $35 to send Priority international & you can fit 4-6 adult ponies in it. ;) It's just a little cheaper than the basic priority cost based on weight. You have to order the padded flat rate envelopes off usps.com, as most post offices don't carry them.

Priority international flat rate envelopes can not be insured.

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2007/html/pb22215/kit.3.5.html
Q. Is insurance available for Priority Mail International?

A. Priority Mail International packages include limited indemnity coverage against loss, damage, or rifling up to amounts shown in IMM 233.3. When interna­tional insurance is purchased for a Priority Mail Inter­national package, it replaces the limited indemnity coverage. Priority Mail International packages may be insured, but the Priority Mail International flat-rate envelope may not be insured.

I have been burned by this before. I could of sworn the same applied to small flat rate as well.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline jrr74

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • when life hands you lemons, make lemonade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:50:06 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I went to the website, and man is that confusing.  I think I am just going to drive to the PO and ask someone in person, then pray that they know what they are talking about. 
ISO Greek babies  ^.^

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 09:33:37 AM »
Thank you for your replies.  I went to the website, and man is that confusing.  I think I am just going to drive to the PO and ask someone in person, then pray that they know what they are talking about. 

Um yea I would ask more than one.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline ColdRuru

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
I've already got package over that amonth of money oversea, and well... to me the most important thing is to have a tracking.
For what I now, I never insured anything and nothing never happened.

If you fill full insurance, of course to me your package is assured even in the delivery country, at least against lost. I'm not sure about the inside problems (breakings?) then. As many of postal services now wants you to accept or reject a crushed package, but will not refund anything if you accept it :mad: the only way is to open front of the postmen and see with him if it's ok or not.

If YOU want to get covered in any case, just have solid proof of your sent.

Blog / Facebook Page

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
Insurance can be funny, and it can depend on the destination country. For example here in Australia, any claim we file, regardless of when the damaged was sustained, has to go to the origin country, because of the postal agreements we have made with those countries. Not only does that often mean trying to fill out insurance forms in another language, it means getting foreign cheques for the refund too, and boy, is that an issue to have cashed or deposited, ESPECIALLY when they spell your name wrong! International post is a series of complicated deals between countries, so it definitely depends on where you are shipping to and what specifics apply, but it *should* be covered.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal