collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to Sun Fade ponies and Rust in Happy Tail pony  (Read 552 times)

Offline AnnabellDerwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
How to Sun Fade ponies and Rust in Happy Tail pony
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:30:32 AM »
I'm a bit new to this so forgive me! But I was wondering what would be the best way to help these girls for my sibling! I did watch this video on sun fading but if anyone else has more tips that would be very appreciated! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSBOiIIDTQo We've both also treated a rusted tail before, but nothing like a working happy tail pony...

Breezie that needs sun fading?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Happy Tail Tabby Rust

Offline Kikwifluff

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
  • Bait ponies need love too!
    • View Profile
Re: How to Sun Fade ponies and Rust in Happy Tail pony
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:38:36 AM »
I’m not sure about the happy tail pony, but the flutter pony has something known as regrind :(
It’s the colors in her vinyl separating as she ages, and can’t be sunfaded/removed. You can paint over it, though!

Post Merge: February 23, 2018, 11:42:02 AM

Meant to add this as well:

Have you checked out the MLP Preservation Project? I highly recommend taking a peak at it :)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 11:42:02 AM by Kikwifluff »

Offline AnnabellDerwin

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:42:03 AM »
I’m not sure about the happy tail pony, but the flutter pony has something known as regrind :(
It’s the colors in her vinyl separating as she ages, and can’t be sunfaded/removed. You can paint over it, though!
Ah okay! Thanks for the help! I will have to fix her cutie mark anyways :)

Offline Kikwifluff

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:45:20 AM »
No problem! :heart: She will eventually completely turn that bright shade of pink. I personally don’t mind regrind, so I just let them turn into whatever color the regrind is. It’s up to you, though, how you want to go about with dealing with regrind  :)

Offline AnnabellDerwin

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 11:59:22 AM »
No problem! :heart: She will eventually completely turn that bright shade of pink. I personally don’t mind regrind, so I just let them turn into whatever color the regrind is. It’s up to you, though, how you want to go about with dealing with regrind  :)
I didnt know that :0 How long does that usually take? Because she's considering doing that too!

Offline Kikwifluff

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 12:16:56 PM »
I didnt know that :0 How long does that usually take? Because she's considering doing that too!

I’m actually not sure  :blush: it depends on each pony. I had one flutter who turned a completely new color in about... a year? While another flutter pony I own hasn’t had her regrind change in the past two years.

My Cloudpuff is the one that changed color really quickly, while my Hollywood still has freckles of regrind.
Your Cloudpuff looks like she might be in the same boat as mine, based on how large her spots are. :)

Hope that helps! :heart:

Offline AnnabellDerwin

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »

I’m actually not sure  :blush: it depends on each pony. I had one flutter who turned a completely new color in about... a year? While another flutter pony I own hasn’t had her regrind change in the past two years.

My Cloudpuff is the one that changed color really quickly, while my Hollywood still has freckles of regrind.
Your Cloudpuff looks like she might be in the same boat as mine, based on how large her spots are. :)

Hope that helps! :heart:

It helps a lot thank you for being so helpful! <3 They said they might do that since they like keeping it as original as possible. It doesnt sound like too long of a wait tbh

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 05:26:06 PM »
Yep, that Flutter Pony has regrind! You can't really predict how long it will take for her to completely change color. There really is nothing you can do except paint over it. Sunfading won't help either, and is only mostly used to whiten yellowed ponies. But some ponies can burn... It really is a whole can of worms! As for the happy tail pony, the best thing you can do for the inside is to use a q-tip and try to clean it really gently that way. Maybe try gently cleaning the tail, not getting a lot of water near the root? I don't think there is a good way to clean it really.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline AnnabellDerwin

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
Yep, that Flutter Pony has regrind! You can't really predict how long it will take for her to completely change color. There really is nothing you can do except paint over it. Sunfading won't help either, and is only mostly used to whiten yellowed ponies. But some ponies can burn... It really is a whole can of worms! As for the happy tail pony, the best thing you can do for the inside is to use a q-tip and try to clean it really gently that way. Maybe try gently cleaning the tail, not getting a lot of water near the root? I don't think there is a good way to clean it really.
Since I don't have experience with sun fading I'm kind of glad I dont have to haha We ended up just cleaning her out with some toothpaste but I'm sure the metal is still rusty since she still smells a bit so if anyone still has more suggestions it helps a lot :0

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:42 PM »
You can try something called CLR - calcium lime rust for really bad rust stains/disintegration into the hair/mechanisms... I have a jar of CLR for REALLY bad tails and tailclamps...

BUT you must be VERY careful!!!!  Follow all the safety instructions, wear gloves, don't use it any longer than a few hours and you must be able to put the pony somewhere VERY ventilated to dry her out (like in front of a fan).  And obviously any rusted mechanisms will NOT work anymore after this, as the chemical will basically turn those three things, CLR, into a liquid so when you rinse it away, they are dissolved.  :) 

In your case,  I would use a q-tip or a baby bottle brush and gently clean what parts of the Happy Tails mechanism you can reach as well as the vinyl....
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal