collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible Age Spots on a G3 (pic heavy)  (Read 612 times)

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
Possible Age Spots on a G3 (pic heavy)
« on: February 22, 2018, 09:43:47 AM »
Hi everyone!
I wanted to show and ask your thoughts on my Spring Breeze. I must’ve got her in about 2012 ish, and these spots were present. I cannot remember whether there are more than there used to be, but I feel like they haven’t gotten worse over time.

They are dark green dots with a lighter green, blurry ring around them. They are exactly like the brown dots with the dark centres seen on g1, however they are green. I also have a G3 Bow Tie with just one of these spots.

Another thing to note is that the bottom of 3 of her hooves have significantly lightened and now have a greenish hue to them. Her nds front hoof is the only one not affected, and this leg has the least spots on too. Her head is totally unaffected, but her neck seam also seems a little greenish too, like her hooves.

I have put a bright light under her hooves to check her insides and there are some dark patches, but also unusually light areas, so I’m unsure on the darkness, but the light patches are probably just thin plastic.

Here are some images of the spots:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I really hope She’s just from a bad batch, in 2012 she would’ve only been 8!

What do you all think? Thank you for any suggestions!
Mlp Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Age Spots on a G3 (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:47:23 AM »
Well, that's odd. '-' Are you sure it isn't mold or something ? Maybe mold developed as your pony was left in the darkness or something ? I'd be tempted to really check inside if anything organic didn't develop inside as you say her neck seal is also affected. =/ Is there any change in hue at the base of her tail ? Something leaking out or what ?
Hope it's not that bad. =/

Have a good day.

Rose
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:58 AM »
I’m not sure if it’s mould, it’s possible! It doesn’t wipe off though, and when I’ve had mould growing on a pony, it’s always washed right off. The only problem with looking inside is that the spring basket ponies are covered in glue! There’s so much that it’s all over her neck!  :blink:

There’s no change in the colour of her tail. If it weren’t for these spots, she’d be mint!  :cry: the odd thing is that I got her in a lot of ponies who were all near mint, except her spots and another had a red mark. Some still had the plastic in their hair!

Thank you so much  ^.^
Mlp Sunsparkle x

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 01:04:25 PM »
I'm still a newbie regarding "pony diseases", it could be age spots indeed since I guess mold should be wiped off pretty easily. For the neck seal, it's technically always possible to remove the head anyway, just have to be very careful not to cut or tear the vinyl with your tool, patient and keeping the neck hot to loosen the glue.

You're welcome, I guess, since I'm not much help at all. ^^
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
You're welcome, I guess, since I'm not much help at all. ^^

I just wanted to say that you definitely are helping me!  ^.^ Any and all advice/ideas are useful! It still could be a stain left from mould though, just like how pindot is in ground dirt

Looking at her leg with the light, I think that the light spots you can see are just thin plastic, and what looks dark is just the regular plastic thickness, as it’s dark by her knee.

My next test, as her insides seem okay, is going to be using hot water and trying to remove it like Pindot.
Mlp Sunsparkle x

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
Some age spots are caused by fungus that isn't necessarily mold, which can cause staining even if the fungus dies off.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 04:41:51 PM »
Oh wow! I have not seen an G3 ponies with age spots yet.

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 04:52:27 PM »
Aren't those little black spots what is commonly referred to as pindot (a fungal issue rather than age spots/vinyl breakdown)?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:57:01 PM by northstar3184 »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 05:03:03 PM »
I have seen the little dark dots as well as the WHITER white spots on the G3's - I am guessing it was dust from the factory that settled into the plastic as they were pulled from the molds... and the White White is a regrind thing.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 07:10:40 AM »
Hmm... Well, let's look at the possibilities. It could be mold, age spots, or a few dots of pindot. I'm less familiar with G3s, so I have a question. Are they porous like G1 is? If they are, this would allow pindot to happen, when dirt and dust just get into the vinyl pores and make dots. If they aren't porous, the surface wouldn't really allow for dirt to get inside of it. I don't think these are age spots either. G1 age spots (the ones caused from plastic breaking down, not mold or fungi) are caused from the breaking down of the plastic used. The other age spots, which are really caused by mold or fungi, have a dark circle in the middle with a blurry bigger circle, like you do. These can usually be removed with hydrogen peroxide. So, based on this, I think it is mold. And it has probably stained your pony, cause that it what it does. I would still recommend hydrogen peroxide so it reduces the possibility of mold spreading. I could easily be wrong though, G3s have some plastic issues like the Divine n Shine ponies. Just my two cents :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »
Hmmm... can you show a pic of the whole pony please? (the pony reminds me of Spring Breeze,... but she has no full yellow tail hm).
Not sure what causes it, maybe the pony has been opposed to some mold / humudity for too long.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:25:14 AM by Einhornbaby »

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2018, 11:16:48 AM »
Hmmm... can you show a pic of the whole pony please? (the pony reminds me of Spring Breeze,... but she has no full yellow tail hm).
Not sure what causes it, maybe the pony has been opposed to some mold / humudity for too long.

You are correct! It is Spring Breeze   ^.^

Hmm... Well, let's look at the possibilities. It could be mold, age spots, or a few dots of pindot. I'm less familiar with G3s, so I have a question. Are they porous like G1 is? If they are, this would allow pindot to happen, when dirt and dust just get into the vinyl pores and make dots.

I think they are porous, I have a minor case of pindot on another g3  :(

Here is a comparison pic I made to show 3 types of spots, and to compare them to Spring Breeze’s. The bottom pic is gingerbread’s usual brown blotches. The green pony is Ice Crystal, and he has the exact same spots as her, but they’re brown.

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! If it is mould or fungus then she should be okay as she has long since been disinfected!  ;)
I really hope they aren’t age spots either. Dust/pindot like dirt is definitely possible but it’s the ring around it that makes me think it isn’t :(

I’m thinking bad storage, as she would’ve been less than 8 years old when she developed them, and I haven’t yet heard of a g3 getting age spots in such a short time. I am also thinking it’s stains from some kind of fungus. I’m also thinking that they had a different owner to the mint ponies that were in the bag with them. The others were almost brand new, and from 2006, but the 2005 spring basket set all had issues.

Thank you everyone!
Mlp Sunsparkle x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal