collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Childhood pony memories  (Read 1129 times)

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood pony memories
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2018, 09:31:03 AM »
I only had two ponies in my childhood "collection" - Applejack and Sunlight.

I remember brushing AJ's mane and tail a lot, to the point where it's now slightly dry and frizzy (but I'm not going to fix it because I don't mind, as it was inflicted by me! :P).

Applejack was a boy pony, in my mind, and Sunlight was his girlfriend. They are still side-by-side in my collection now, although both now also have their respective babies to look after (awwww...)  :lol:
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline kestral_kitsune

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • "We're all Mad here."
    • View Profile
    • my deviantart
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 12:09:37 PM »
i remember when i lived in  germany waging all out war with the barbies. dad would come home from base - we were army- to a literal battlefield of be-headed barbies, and me and my sisters just cracking up as we made the GiJoes-which were exclusively mine MLP was one of the few girly toys i liked as a little girl apparently- battle with the barbies and care bears X3 he'd help put heads back on the bodies, we were always careful to not ..actually break the dolls
art page
Kestral ref!!   want list
designs for sale and commission information
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

thanks to SDS for my sig

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 01:35:21 AM »
So many memories:

Getting Lofty from the Salvation Army. I put her on my headboard that night.

Coming home from school one day to find a grocery bag with 4 ponies mom had bought from the Salvation Army another time: Sweet Stuff, Moonstone, August Poppy, and Glory. That was the first time I'd ever seen a TE pony in real life, and the only one I would see for more than 20 years.

Getting Baby Drummer and Baby Countdown from the store my dad worked at.

Mom buying petite ponies as a bribe to get me to drink the nastiest medicine I've ever had to-date (I kid you not, it was so bad she'd mix it in my absolute favorite pudding thinking that would dull the taste, and I ended up with such a strong aversion to that pudding I never ate it again)

Taking my ponies in the bathtub so many times (I'd hate to see them now)

Having my ponies go on adventures. However, many adventures usually resulted in mass casualties where only 1 or 2 favorites would survive.

My parents convincing me at age 7 or so that it was time for me to sell my ponies and move on to "boy toys". Out of about 20 ponies, I kept 4. Then a couple years later, I bought a couple more at yard sales (Wave Runner & Sprinkles) because I missed my herd.

Watching My Little Pony 'n Friends every morning before preschool.

Because about half of my herd was bought second-hand, I didn't know the names of many of my ponies and thought some of the ones I had were those from the cartoon series: I didn't understand why my Gusty had a white streak in her hair and blue flowers for her symbol, why my Posey had hearts, or why my Firefly had ducks. I didn't know Moonstone, August Poppy, Wave Jumper, Water Lily, or Wave Runner's names.

I remember believing my plush Blossom was not a real MLP.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 12:14:22 PM »
Applejack was a boy pony, in my mind, and Sunlight was his girlfriend.
AJ was also a boy in my mind, too, even though she sounded like a girl, or maybe a tomboy, in the cartoon.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
AJ was also a boy in my mind, too, even though she sounded like a girl, or maybe a tomboy, in the cartoon.

I never saw the cartoons so all I had to go by was her name, and it had "Jack" in it so...I thought she must be a boy!  :lol: Nice to know someone else thought so too, lol.
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
Aw man, I was born in 1984, and G1 was just the right timing for me as a kid.  I adored playing with ponies as a little kid.  Here's some spesific stuff:

- Finding a very chewed up and dirty Locket in the bushes in a park we frequented.
- Packing all of my 20 or so ponies in a cloth bag my grandmother made for me and taking them over to my best friends' house to have very long epic story-lines acted out (including a huge war with the trolls, several stories involving wizards, and weird things involving psychotic child armies).
- Playing with my ponies under one of the desks at my parent's new office when they started their own business in the market crash of the early 90s.  My dad made all the office furniture, and it was a good place for a kid to camp out and think of spelunking.
- Picking out the Pony Bride at Toy's R Us on a gift certificate given to me by some distant relation for... I guess what must have been my seventh birthday.  (My parents didn't care to go to Toy's R Us, many of my ponies came from drugstores and the local toy store.)
- Being so excited to wait for Pearly Baby Moondancer and Pearly Baby Firefly after sending in pony points.  I wondered if I would get them, as they were my first choice, or if they'd be replaced by different ponies if they wern't available.
- Nesting ponies in the costume feather boas I had.  I loved birds and I think I gave the ponies more bird like biology when I was very little, until I knew more about horses.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 04:24:02 PM »

I never saw the cartoons so all I had to go by was her name, and it had "Jack" in it so...I thought she must be a boy!  :lol: Nice to know someone else thought so too, lol.

There are some books in the UK which have AJ as a he, and then as a she. I can't remember whether these are the books that got corrected when they were reprinted (they originally had the US sea pony names and later had the actual pictured UK sea pony names instead) but I have a feeling AJ and maybe either Bubbles or Seashell may have appeared as a he in that context.

Pretty sure Moondancer appears as a he in something as well, but for some reason I can't remember what it is.

Mind you, in one of the kids' books here, the book says Moondancer and the image shows Majesty, so I guess they really had no clue ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal