collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Childhood pony memories  (Read 1133 times)

Offline PrincessNikki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
Childhood pony memories
« on: February 22, 2018, 08:43:58 AM »
What are your most favorite pony memories as a child?  I really want to know the kind of ways you all played with your ponies or maybe fond memories of going to the store and having your parents pick out a pony.

I remember when I was young my father took me to Toys R Us and he let me pick out a pony to buy and I was having trouble choosing between Baby Boy Drummer and the one with the scottie dog on the side??? I forget the name but I asked my dad and he said that he liked Drummer better and I got Drummer...one of my favorite ponies of all time.

I also remember my mother taking me to Toys R Us and I was trying to choose between Dazzleglow and Starglow (i picked Dazzleglow)

And when I graduated pre-school I remember picking out a baby rainbow pony for my classmate's birthday party as a gift and looking at them all in a row on their cards and wanting them so bad. I chose baby Starbow.

I remember playing with my ponies in the pony estate (my cousins were very wealthy and had every playset so i got the hand-me-downs when my older cousin grew up. 90% of my ponies and toys were hand-me-downs. ) Filling the estate pool with water and having my ponies swim around.

And ordering the christmas baby pony from the baby of a rice krispies cereal box and waiting for her to come and then young and dumb me giving her a haircut with a lighter....(why?????) and the smell of burning plastic. I also remember trading baby ponies with a girl on my block.

One time when I was 10?? I went to Chuck E Cheese for my cousin's birthday and I remember one of my cousins saying "There's a my little pony you can get at the prize counter' and me seeing it and freaking out and my cousins helped me get enough tickets to get her (i think it was like 500 tickets???)

I would love to hear all of your fond memories. I wish I could go back in time in the 80s and early 9os and walk down the toys R Us pony isle. it would be like a dream.

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Re: Childhood pony memories
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 09:15:01 AM »
I grew up with G3 but had no trouble finding g1 ponies at antique stores as a kid. My favorite antique store has a seller who always had a few ponies for sale. I got Sugarberry and Cherry Treats there. I always wanted.....  Bowtie? Ribbon? But she was a little expensive and my mom rare spent more than $5 on a pony for me, let alone $10.

My first G1 ponies were Firefly, Cherry Treats, and a beat up Beachball rescued from a daycare. They were my Three Musketeers cuz they were a pegasus, earth pony, and Unicorn respectively.

I remember playing with Beachball at my sister's daycare and my friend suggested I ask to keep it. I was too polite and didn't want to be selfish, so my friend asked for me, and I was allowed to keep her.

I took G2 Skyskimmer and Ivy, and later McD's Ivy, with me on car trips. Ivy was a valley girl, McD's Ivy was a little (tom)boy, and Skyskimmer's was either shy or adventurous. And of course they loved the outdoors.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:29:52 AM »
What wonderful memories! I'm sure I have tons but my memory needs some jogging.

My mom and my uncle built my sister and I a pony castle. I'll include some photos since I have them handy

We spent years and years of wonderful pony play time with this castle and I still have it.

I also have lots of memories of pony spa days in the basement bathroom. The counter used to be lined with ponies with curlers in their hair and braids after their bath in the sink.

Offline SilverHorsey

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I am made of horses and ponies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »
I remember the excitement went G3 movies were first time broadcast on Estonian channels. They were dubbed. I remember being so excited when suddenly in the morning after the usual short cartoons A very Minty christmas started playing! I wasn't even into ponies that much at this time, but I think this was where all it started!
Formerly known as bigmylittleponyfan

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 03:31:56 PM »
As a child of the 80's, my favorite G1 memories are taking Windy and Pinwheel to the lake where my grandparents lived.  Playing in the sand and water.  Windy almost floated away! 
I remember playing on the bedroom floor with Magic Star and Paradise (my childhood favorite).  I drew a pony playland on cardboard with colored chalk.  Uh-oh!!!  Chalk and so-softs are not a good combination! 
I remember having my own money, wanting to buy a pony, but not having enough.  I could only afford a Blosson piggy bank.
I remember visiting my granny and the store where I bought Pinwheel. 

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »
Another 80s kid here. Playing ponies with my best friend,she had different ponies. So we had quite the herd between the two of us. Taking sea ponies to the pool with us (cringe),playing chop shop with Speedy and my SW toys.  Speedy was always the shady one of my herd  :devious: Taking plush Bow Tie to my first sleep over, going to TRU and picking my last pony (was 12 and told I was to old for ponies). The pony section still felt overwhelming.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline PrincessNikki

• Dazzle Surprise
  • dressed like a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 09:35:03 PM »
What wonderful memories! I'm sure I have tons but my memory needs some jogging.

My mom and my uncle built my sister and I a pony castle. I'll include some photos since I have them handy

We spent years and years of wonderful pony play time with this castle and I still have it.

I also have lots of memories of pony spa days in the basement bathroom. The counter used to be lined with ponies with curlers in their hair and braids after their bath in the sink.

oh WOW!! thats so incredible! it makes the official castle look so tiny. Thats such a great memory and it's huuuge!! The fact that you still have it is so sweet!

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 02:02:19 AM »
I didn't have ponies in my childhood, so I asked my girlfriend for some of her childhood pony memories. Reminiscing ensued. She came up with:

- That exciting feeling of finding bundles of G1s in charity shops and car-boot sales for super-cheap prices. She didn't really know what ponies were available so finding ponies she'd never seen before happened quite often.
- Finding random pony-related items in charity shops, like annuals and games.
- Buying a VHS of the cartoons ("three hours of pure pony pleasure!") in a shop in Poole while on holiday.  The caravan they were staying in had no video player so she spent the rest of the holiday just gazing at the video case.
- Watching Midnight Castle and getting scared.
- Carrying Little Flitter (her favourite) around with her, flapping her wings to make her fly. This eventually resulted in the wings falling off, so her dad used to have to repair them a lot.
- Writing stories about ponies when she was about five. (I've seen some of these, they are cute as heck.)
- Taking ponies to school. Lickety-Split even sneaked into a school photo!

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 04:32:22 AM »
Shy Violet, that castle is amazing! :D

All of my ponies were handed down from my (immensely awesome) auntie, in the sense that parents' friends always = aunts and uncles, and while the tail-end of and G1 and then G2 were current during my childhood, I wasn't actively aware of brand new ponies other than the MacDonalds G2s. I do remember really loving my little Silver Swirl and the purple castle she came with; she had what I perceived to be pride of place in a cute purple canvas backpack along with all my Kitty In My Pockets - only the best toys went in that bag - and she always hung out with the colossal entourage of cats.
The G1s took over a Barbie stable, which for some reason was often interpreted as a stage, where ponies would get up and perform concerts. There was also a big, ornate, plastic key from some kind of doll's house that Cherries Jubilee would use at some kind of evil device to hypnotise ponies, who would then need to be rescued.
Posey went everywhere I could get away with taking her - into the garden, to school, to the park... she was always my favourite; I honestly dread to think what kind of state she'd be in if I still had my childhood herd - talk about well-loved!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:12:56 AM by Miniature Sheep »

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 04:47:56 AM »
I have lots and lots of childhood pony memories. Several of them I've mentioned here before, but just a few off the top of my head...

Buying Cherry Treats...opening her in the car on the way home and Dad immediately demanding to know what the smell was and renaming her Stink Bomb.

Hanging Sand Digger and Mainsail out of the window on ribbon/lace to abseil down the wall and make their hair change colour (with sister).

Teaching Masquerade to fly (aged 4 or 5) on the school playground by throwing her across it. Hard.

Choosing Tropical Breeze from a wall of flutters with help from my Dad (who likes red) after my 5th birthday.

Sitting in a cafe in town with my family after sister and I bought Sunset and Stargaze and we had them out and playing on the table.

Standing sentry over the 'orange' stall at my dad's school fete because the woman in charge wouldn't let me buy Gypsy until the fete was properly open and NOBODY else was getting her.

Finding Bright Eyes (Tales) on holiday in Wales and choosing between her and Starlight on a spanish card. Chose Bright Eyes.

Getting Songster's tail caught in Star Gleamer's basically the first day I got them and having to have mum cut the knot carefully out of Star Gleamer's hair. (Tears). You can't tell though. Mum did well.

Standing my ground in Woolworths with Braided Beauty because she was the only one and Mum didn't want me to buy her as her box was damaged. But it was the pony I wanted, so ultimately she gave in. I now know that she came in a US box, and was an import, not on card like the UK release normally did.

Going to the theatre 2 days before Christmas and buying Little Lullabye in Birmingham on the way. 2 days later there was a random surprise Teeny pony as a freebie with my Christmas present, the kitchen - but it was Little Rattles.

Taking Sunshower and Ripple to play with Backstroke at my friend's family's country club, in the pool.

Playing 'pony chase' with the boys - ie chasing them and jabbing them with unicorn horns to make them stop throwing ponies on the school roof.

Choosing Rainbow Magic as a cheer up present when Mum was in hospital when I was nine. I chose her because her card said she could grant wishes.

There are many more but that's a good selection.

I also had Sunburst when my sister was born, but my memories of that are a little hazy.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline SwirlyWhirly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
  • Born in the year of the My Little Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
My best friend gave me Main Sail for my birthday. We often played with My Little Ponies together in the early 90s. Once we played with her cousin who had lots of flutter ponies and I thought they were amazing. One day I'm going to own a flutter pony, with original wings. What you didn't have as a kid, get as an adult.  :biggrin:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 03:08:44 PM »
I have a few vague memories of ponies.

Having to get rid of adult Wavedancer and my baby sea ponies  including water color Misty because they got moldy from playing with them in the tub.

Writing a pony math problem and everyone in class laughing at me when I read it.  :sad:

Sparkle pony Twinkler coming with free pony lipstick and child me using the lipstick on her. Poor thing still has lipstick stains.

Here's Twinkler

My grandma buying me the birthday party set and me writing on the large invitation

My grandma refusing to let me take SS Twilight home. This eventually led to SS Twilight disappearing several years later.

Watching Rescue at Midnight Castle every time I went to my grandma’s house when I was little.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 03:34:09 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 07:00:11 PM »
I have many memories of running to the pony isle at the store when I went with my mom. We had a few places in town that you could buy ponies at in the late 80's and early 90's! Now we have one store in my town with ponies. Its so sad how times have changed! :(

But back to my childhood! I did get some ponies from my aunt when she did not want them anymore. She is seven years older then me! I remember playing with them all! But I did give them all hair cuts and they were played with every rough. I ended up selling them not to long ago. They were just to rough for me to clean and fix them up. :(

My best friend and cousin also did have a few ponies that we would play with at there home!

I also remember getting a few ponies for my birthday! I ended up getting two of the same pony at my pool party we had! I did not care! I loved them both! One did get a hair cut while the other one did not. I still have the one that did not!

I also remember that I had a classmate that had a dad that was a Doc! She had everything! I remember being so jealous of her pony collection! She moved away while we were still in grade school! :(

So I can say that I have good memories and bad memories!

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 07:21:44 PM »
All of these stories are so sweet! I don’t have childhood pony memories in terms of “play” (which I only ever did with another kid and copied what she did, had no idea how to do it on my own), but I do distinctly remember thinking that Sweetberry’s hair looked like toothpaste.

...Yep. Toothpaste.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 07:40:45 PM »
It does look like toothpaste! So does Starcatcher.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal