collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Baby ponies with babyish name/symbol - All grown up?  (Read 1302 times)

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Baby ponies with babyish name/symbol - All grown up?
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:12:49 AM »
So. Some baby ponies have normal names and symbols. Like Stockings has a stocking, pretty normal
But what about, say, Baby Sniffles or Sticky, with a toy hobby horse symbol, or Baby Rattles, with a bunny symbol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Have you ever imagined the baby ponies as adults? Who would end up with a more complex symbol as an adult? What color hair streak work brother/unicorns get? What would their special abilities be? Would twins with the same symbol get the same powers? Would identical twins get the same hair stripe? How would their personalities change? Have you drawn any art of the baby ponies as adults?

I think Rattles and Tattles could be a show rabbit breeding duo, or pet rabbit breeders, or maybe one deals in pet rabbits while the other deals in show rabbits, letting the other  sell the ones not quite show worthy.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:15:21 AM by Khoufu »
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Baby ponies with babyish name/symbol - All grown up?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:20:23 AM »
G1 symbols don't really have the same connection (actually, i think you pointed that out in another discussion the other day?) to the names or the skills of the ponies. It's a bit more hit and miss. And Romper is proof that rabbits are fine as a symbol on an adult pony. The more mysterious why Rattles and rabbits to me.

In the UK the other twins are Tuggles and Toddles which is worse if you imagine them growing up and trying to hold a job interview.

But then G3 has some names that clearly indicate banned substances were involved in the naming process. Tink A Tink a Too springs to mind. And come to that, Skippety Doo and Hippety Hop (more rabbits!) are pretty dire and silly even on adult ponies.

Then there's the covert Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fans, Truly and Scrumptious.

I guess my point is that about 40% of all ponies have slightly or very ridiculous names. I think the babies are doomed to grow up to be one of those individuals. Like human babies who have to grow up with silly names because their parents didn't really think it through.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:23 AM »
TRULY AND SCRUMPTIOUS NEVER OCCURRED TO ME! You are Truly Scrumptious,  Taffeta.

And yes, I did point out that symbols, names, and powers don't always match up. Kind of makes me wonder what the point is of their symbols, then. Maybe inspiration?

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 11:02:47 AM »
In the UK the other twins are Tuggles and Toddles which is worse if you imagine them growing up and trying to hold a job interview.

They could always go by Tug and Todd, perhaps. :)

My favourite baby pony as a kid was always Sleepy Head (although my sister and I called her PJs), and it occurred to me even back then - among the chaos of ponies staving off evil hypnotists and armies of megalomaniac dogs - that her symbol would be a bit awkward on an adult pony (as would Sleep Tight, for that matter!) Maybe she'd have a job helping out in a nursery, or would run a business making posh accoutrements for children's rooms. I kind of like the idea of Milkweed and Tumbleweed being a folk duo, what with their names, although the rocking horse symbols might be a little on the odd side where that occupation is concerned... :P

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:48 AM »
I kind of like the idea of Milkweed and Tumbleweed being a folk duo, what with their names, although the rocking horse symbols might be a little on the odd side where that occupation is concerned... :P
A country duo who uses rocking horse props cuz they're the lowest budget horse prop, maybe?

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:13:54 AM »

And yes, I did point out that symbols, names, and powers don't always match up. Kind of makes me wonder what the point is of their symbols, then. Maybe inspiration?

I think sometimes we think a little more deeply than we should where ponies are concerned.

The basic answer would be hasbro wasn't thinking of the baby ponies as adults, it was all based on aesthetics of ponies/sets. What looked good and was pleasing to the eye, what names sounded cute. In the twins case what name sounded cute together.

I don't think it was in Hasbros planning to imagine how a pony like Sticky would deal with the pressure of having such a crappy name. They were trying to make a cute pony children would buy because well...it's cute.

So the key is don't think so hard about why ponies have they names they do. Also I have noticed over the years, really young children sometimes don't even pay attention to the names, sometimes they name their ponies something else. So  hasbro never though 30 years later we'd ask what these plastic ponies would do as adults.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Miniature Sheep

• Crystal Dolphin Warrior
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Barry, you're so optimistic...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:30:53 AM »
I kind of like the idea of Milkweed and Tumbleweed being a folk duo, what with their names, although the rocking horse symbols might be a little on the odd side where that occupation is concerned... :P
A country duo who uses rocking horse props cuz they're the lowest budget horse prop, maybe?

That's an ace idea, the irony of ponies riding horses is perfect! :lol:

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 11:37:31 AM »
I think Hasbro intended the ponies to remain the same age forever so the adults will never get older and the babies will remain babies but some of the babies symbols like a rattle would would look out of place on an adult pony. Doesn’t Magic Message Cuddles have a teddy bear symbol?

If they could grow up would Baby Moondancer keep her lighter mane and tail colors as an adult and how would the the adults address her when she was grown?

I’ve always thought Woosie was a strange name for an adult pony.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »
Woosie was probably in a set of twins. Woosie and Dissie?
If they could grow up would Baby Moondancer keep her lighter mane and tail colors as an adult and how would the the adults address her when she was grown?
Moondancer JR?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:46:22 AM »
Woosie was probably in a set of twins. Woosie and Dissie?
Moondancer JR?

In her family, her nickname is pinkhead.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline KottonKandy

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »
G1 symbols don't really have the same connection (actually, i think you pointed that out in another discussion the other day?) to the names or the skills of the ponies. It's a bit more hit and miss. And Romper is proof that rabbits are fine as a symbol on an adult pony. The more mysterious why Rattles and rabbits to me.

But then G3 has some names that clearly indicate banned substances were involved in the naming process. Tink A Tink a Too springs to mind. And come to that, Skippety Doo and Hippety Hop (more rabbits!) are pretty dire and silly even on adult ponies.

Then there's the covert Chitty Chitty Bang Bang fans, Truly and Scrumptious.

I guess my point is that about 40% of all ponies have slightly or very ridiculous names. I think the babies are doomed to grow up to be one of those individuals. Like human babies who have to grow up with silly names because their parents didn't really think it through.
Toola Roola and Scootaloo are another couple like that. It's like they just made random noises with their mouths and tried to spell them out phonetically for G3 characters. G1 was pretty bad about just taking two unrelated words and slamming them together. Sundance, Moondancer, Sunglory, etc....they sound like they use that computer name generator some animal shelters use to give a temporary name to their animals. Like one of my adopted cats came with the name "Jazzberry" and I feel like that would've been a stellar pony name for G1.
But I don't really find the baby's names any more ludicrous than the adults. I mean, being named "Puddles" seems just as demeaning as being named "Whizzer" to me, lol.

Offline Esbayne

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I can die happy when there's a G1 scented perfume.
    • View Profile
    • ArtStation
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »
I dunno, to be honest I'd rather be stuck with a name like Rattles than... Steamer or Floater...

not all the adults have better names....

lmao

edit:
But I don't really find the baby's names any more ludicrous than the adults. I mean, being named "Puddles" seems just as demeaning as being named "Whizzer" to me, lol.

Beat me to it. xD

"Jazzberry"

What I wouldn't give for a pony character of some smooth 20's jazzcat type named Jazzberry. He'd be super g r o o v y.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:06:39 PM by Kingsly »

LONG LIVE HEARTSPRINKLE
 https://mh-merch.com/checklist/122/ visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Esbayne on PonyIsland.net as well.
:art: :relaxed: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :frolic: :silly:

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 12:33:48 AM »

Whizzer's name always makes me think of a Ren & Stimpy episode where they were playing a board game called "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence". Poor Whizzer.

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 04:17:26 AM »
I dunno, to be honest I'd rather be stuck with a name like Rattles than... Steamer or Floater...

lmao

edit:

Beat me to it. xD

hahaha beat me to it as well!! Steamer, Whizzer, Floater, oh and Tootie Tails - those names always make me have immature giggles  :snicker:  :lol:  :rofl:  :lmao:
not to mention adult ponies with names like Pillow Talk :P

I never thought "sticky and sniffles" were cute names even for babies . kinda always made me think "ewww gross" when I was a kid and I re-named them :relaxed:

and now I think I've gone OT... sorries!!! :blush:  *runs fast*  :bolt:

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 04:21:49 AM »

lmao

At least Steamer has the official alternative "Tracks",  but oh, poor Floater...........and for such an attractive gal too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal