collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The Magic Hair Stripe  (Read 1493 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
The Magic Hair Stripe
« on: February 20, 2018, 07:04:58 PM »
You know what's really cute? That little stripe of complimentary color hair in unicorn hair.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's such a cute design quirk. I wish they had touched upon it in MLPn'Friends, maybe they mentioned it in the comics? Most standard Pony/Pegasus releases have one color for the mane and tail, at least up until, ehhh, year six or so? The multi-color hair without any unicorn horn has been limited to rainbow ponies or twinkle eye ponies. Even TAF seems to have included the magic hair stripe and left the pony/pegasus manes one-tone.
So...if unicorns have this magic stripe of hair, does anyone have headcanons for why unicorn newborns don't have this stripe?

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
Re: The Magic Hair Stripe
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
Maybe they grow it during puberty, or once they really get a grip on their magic powers, or simply when their magic abilities mature to their full (adult) power.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:19:17 PM »
They kind of stopped doing it for later years. For example, Boisenberry Pie. Later years had mostly theme and gimmick sets rather than just unicorn, pegasi, and earth sets too.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:28:41 PM »
I love the magic hair stripe.  When I draw the later years unicorns, I sometimes add the stripe Hasbro denied them in real life. 
Here I gave Tabby a yellow stripe:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:41:11 PM »
They kind of stopped doing it for later years. For example, Boisenberry Pie. Later years had mostly theme and gimmick sets rather than just unicorn, pegasi, and earth sets too.
It's interesting to see how they line changes as the years go on! I suppose from a business standpoint you have to keep the kids with pounds of ponies interested with new gimmicks and not just new characters.
Maybe they grow it during puberty, or once they really get a grip on their magic powers, or simply when their magic abilities mature to their full (adult) power.
I'd like to think of it as the latter two, sort of like G4's idea of cutie marks. Imagine if Rattles and Tattles got their stripes at different times! That'd be interesting for a story.
I love the magic hair stripe.  When I draw the later years unicorns, I sometimes add the stripe Hasbro denied them in real life. 
Here I gave Tabby a yellow stripe:

She looks really cute with the yellow! Maybe that's why her design feels a bit plain to me otherwise. I mean, she does come with the yellow hair pick, but that's an accessory, not a feature.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 10:03:16 PM »
I have Rattles, and love the idea of him and Tattles having different hair stripes so that they're not entirely identical. Like, if Rattles got blue and Tattles got red.

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 01:31:33 AM »
I have Rattles, and love the idea of him and Tattles having different hair stripes so that they're not entirely identical. Like, if Rattles got blue and Tattles got red.

Now that's not much fun for mischievous twin babies if they can be easily recognised apart :) :) :)

I love the stripe.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:59:48 AM »
This is one of the reasons I love Gypsy. She's a complete social renegade :) Aside those with rainbow hair (TE and Rainbow Ponies), the stripe in the unicorn hair happens all the way to 1987 (So Softs - Bangles, TAF Milky Way, and here, Buttons and Gusty from the movie line). All except Gypsy, who came out in 1986 but apparently stuck two hooves up at the idea of convention and didn't bother to have a streak. She had freckles instead ;)

On the stripe note, the Mountain Boys and Big Brothers also have this stripe feature. :) I don't know if we should consider that as them all being descended from unicorn blood or not though?

Gypsy: Fashion Rebel :)

If you want to play genetics with the newborns, maybe stripes are recessive genes or maybe they grow into them as they get older...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline PoserBeachball

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 05:17:03 AM »

On the stripe note, the Mountain Boys and Big Brothers also have this stripe feature. :) I don't know if we should consider that as them all being descended from unicorn blood or not though?

or was it the result of a rowdy Boys Night Out - someone got handy with some hair dye.........and they all had to try it? :) :)

Offline Khoufu

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 09:44:33 AM »

Now that's not much fun for mischievous twin babies if they can be easily recognised apart :) :) :)

I love the stripe.
They can always dye their hair.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 09:53:46 AM »
I guess.  I just see it as ponies with variations in their hair. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 09:57:49 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
This is one of the reasons I love Gypsy. She's a complete social renegade :) Aside those with rainbow hair (TE and Rainbow Ponies), the stripe in the unicorn hair happens all the way to 1987 (So Softs - Bangles, TAF Milky Way, and here, Buttons and Gusty from the movie line). All except Gypsy, who came out in 1986 but apparently stuck two hooves up at the idea of convention and didn't bother to have a streak. She had freckles instead ;)

Gypsy: Fashion Rebel :)

If you want to play genetics with the newborns, maybe stripes are recessive genes or maybe they grow into them as they get older...

Gypsy!!!!! Neeeeeed!!! :drunk:
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
LAW's avatar reminds me that the magic strike also manifests in 3 adult sea ponies and six (?) baby sea ponies. It's more widespread than we thought and must be an evolutionary anomaly...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
I like the unicorn stripe! I guess the reason they got it originally was because in the first set every unicorn had either white hair or a white body. So the streak was added to have some more color variety. Later we got unicorns that didn't have white anywhere, but they still kept using the streak for a while. But white was still used for unicorns a lot, for the first few years with the exception of Minty they were the only ponies with (intentionally) white hair.

Sparkler was the first to break the pattern, and the first unicorn to get curly hair too. Majesty was the only unicorn to have both a white body and white in her hair, so that's pretty special. Although she was mostly shown without the white streak in official art work. I wonder if that was intentional.

I think it's nice with little details like this, that each species is given their own characteristics. The stripe does mark out the unicorns as special, which goes along nice with their magical qualities.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »
I like the unicorn stripe! I guess the reason they got it originally was because in the first set every unicorn had either white hair or a white body. So the streak was added to have some more color variety. Later we got unicorns that didn't have white anywhere, but they still kept using the streak for a while. But white was still used for unicorns a lot, for the first few years with the exception of Minty they were the only ponies with (intentionally) white hair.

You forgot Snowflake. Though she's another fashion rebel, as she breaks the glittery symbol rule.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal