collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1 Curly Locks and the Mystery of the Fading Pink Stripe  (Read 373 times)

Offline Cessna 150Chick

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
G1 Curly Locks and the Mystery of the Fading Pink Stripe
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »
Ok collectors and dedicated pony followers, need your help on this mystery!
First off, tell me about "fading pink hair"...my assumption is that it takes sunlight and exposure for it to lose color. A Posey or Wind Whistler still on the hang card should have perfect hair color right?
I recently unearthed a G1 Curly Locks from my childhood collection...I got her very soon before the big move that put all my ponies in storage, carefully wrapped up individually and placed in a heavy cardboard box, for 25 years. She looks essentially brand new, but her hair has a white stripe, with zero evidence that there ever WAS any pink.
All the pics show her as the first stripe of the mane being that fading pink color - but is it possible that some ponies had white instead? How could a pony whose entire life has been spent in a box pretty much, have lost the color so perfectly and completely? Is there a chemical process at work that I don't know about? Her "pink" stripe is thoroughly and totally white, exactly the same as the bottom mane stripe...and it's perfectly white right down thru the roots. What the heck is going on here? Are factory mistakes in hair colors a known thing in the MLP realm?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: G1 Curly Locks and the Mystery of the Fading Pink Stripe
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 12:51:46 AM »
Posey or Wind Whistler could be MOC and still have faded hair, because it fades very fast.  (And will fade through the plastic bubble.)

I purposely faded a G3's hair for a custom once and I got her hair pure white.  It didn't take long, either . . . just a couple weekends in the sun.

Factory mistakes CAN happen, but when the hair is usually fading pink, and yours is white . . . the odds are it WAS pink, and faded.  Like, if her blue streak were white that would be a different story.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:31 AM »
There are at least 2 versions of Curly Locks (probably batch related, not necessarily a variation), some with really strong pink in the hair and some with it quite pale to begin with. The really pink ones don't generally fade so easily, but the other can. As LM said, they can fade on their own without sunlight sometimes. I think the second Curly Locks with the paler streak is one of these as well.

My Curly Locks is similar to yours, but my sister has the one with bright pink in her hair. She generally paid less attention to whether ponies were in sun than I do, but mine has a whiteish cream streak and hers is still pink.

Weird stuff is weird.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:18:34 AM »
Fading pink just fades no matter what you do, or don't do... because YES it is chemistry!!!  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:24:55 AM »
On the subject of hair variations, there are some, but the pink/white one is fade related. I can't think of a single pony where there's known to be a pink and a white variation if that colour is used although it's been pushed in the past and some folk are still confused about some ponies and what their proper hair colour is.

There's one of the Romance Ponies that a lot of people are still convinced has fading pink hair (Love Token) but actually she's meant to have white.

So hair variations definitely happen. But not between fading pink and white :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Cessna 150Chick

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 12:02:40 PM »
Curses! Chemistry strikes again! LOL
Thanks for the info, you guys rock.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal