collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

G3s! Love 'em or hate 'em?

Love them! They're my favorite gen!
Love them!
They're alright
Meh
I'm swimming in them @_@

Author Topic: Let's talk about G3s!  (Read 6427 times)

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about G3s!
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2018, 11:22:49 AM »
OMG the hubby just said he saved everything onto his computer off of my old broken laptop drive, he has my G3 checklist I made....
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2018, 02:44:03 PM »
I love the g3s! I don't have a large collection of them, but am slowly building it up. They were on the shelves (crystal princess line?) when I started collecting so g3s are nostalgic to me in that sense. Plus, I think they're super cute! SLH ponies are probably my favourites. All that lovely, lovely hair. :lovey:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
I got into gen 3 thanks to a pinkie pie that got balled up in snow by a snow plow, I found them with her head and tail sticking out. I thought that was all that was left of them, but nope, they were fine except a few scrapes, and very faded hair. They were so dirty the service desk did not want them, so in my pocket they went, and then came home with me.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »
I adore G3! It's my second favorite generation, very closely behind G1! As you said OP, one major drawback is that it has so little Pegasi and Unicorns (Unicorns especially) compared to Earth ponies. But despite that, there's still a huge variety of ponies and poses! The quality of the ponies themselves (and the playsets) is also really good, finding good condition G3s is very easy!

While G1's my favorite generation, I think I have the more G3s than I have ponies in other generations (if we just count regular ponies, that is). G3 is a such a good generation, I just wish they had more Pegasi and Unicorns! Speaking of G3 Pegasi though, all the ones we do have are beautiful.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline misskindle

• No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
  • ~Everything must be PINK~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 03:26:54 PM »
Did you know there was a variant of Ribbon wishes where her hair started with a blue instead of purple? A lot of people don't :)

This reminded me of the old Rereleases Encyclopedia! It went offline recently, and now the URL just returns the 404 not found error :/ But when it wasn't up, it had the differences catalogued between any G3 with multiple editions. Super helpful. Used it a lot to ID my thrift finds.
I love G3! They were my childhood pony, and I'm so glad they're so common to find at thrift stores now. I find them about as often as I find G1s.

Offline gustystarr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
  • An eccentric whose quite fine with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 05:35:41 PM »

G3 was my g1 if that makes sense, I grew up with them and they were the ponies I knew and loved. But even as a kid watching g1 cartoons I thought g1 had prettier ponies, more exciting stories, and was disappointed that my kid sister and I easily collected all the unicorns and pegusus. We always tended to play with our ponies in a g1 style and so in my early teen years when I realized I could buy up all the g1 ponies I’d fallen in love with in childhood I did. I didn’t give g3 much of a thought since.

After watching my younger cousins play with g4 and quickly loose interest as they lack enough characters to really “collect” I feel nostalgic for my own g3s. They were pretty cute and were really a decent value for the price at the time. I’m somewhat worried there won’t be a gen as diverse as even g3 was again and it makes me a little sad.

Even if g3 was too pink and too cutesy at times, it has a pretty place in my memory. Sometimes I feel sad that I don’t have any childhood memories playing with g1’s unlike so many other collectors but g3’s do deep down have some of the fondness to them for me, that classics like Peachy, Melody, and Firefly do for older collectors.

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
I don't have the same connection to G3 as I do g1 but I still like them and have a lot even after selling on some.

I do find the lack of unicorns in this gen a real short sight on Hasbro's part. It's a line of fantasy horses and the unicorn is the queen of fantasy horses.  It just didn't make any sense.

But one of the things G3 got right was the diversity in the hair patterns.  I really like how there were different types of hair patterns/color combos that a pony could have.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 07:28:56 PM »
I love G3's. I have a massive collection of them with doubles.  I have much of the Ponyville small ponies too which I really liked.  I have a few MIB as well and there are still more I want to get.    It did seem like there was an overabundance of celestial themes, but that is usually very well received by collectors. I am not so much into that though.  I was so happy with the line, I wanted to buy them all and never had enough money to get them all.  There are several I can still remember picking up in the store to purchase and putting them back...only to wish now I had them.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 08:04:35 PM »
I really like G3s!  I love their faces and their cute ears.  Best ears of any generation imo.

But man, I really don't get the lack of pegasi and unicorns.  I was at SDCC shortly after Star Catcher was released--the one with cloth wings, she was the first G3 pegasus--and I was chatting with Hasbro employees at their booth.  And they something about releasing her as a single "to see if there was an interest in pegasus ponies."  And I was just thinking "Of course there's an interest??  How many kids are interested in fantasy horses, but not unicorns and pegasi?"

The other thing I don't like is symbols only being on one side.   Does it really save that much money to only do it on one side?  *sigh*

Other than that, though, great line.  Lots of beautiful and varied ponies.  Plus those scooters that you could pull back and use to knock over other ponies, lol.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline CrystalSnowflake

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »
I grew up with G1 ponies and have about 60 of them. My entire original herd and my cousins that she didn't want anymore. Nothing is quite the same as the ones you grew up loving and playing with.

However that being said, I LOVE G3! They are the only ones that I have been excited to get a complete collection of. I was SO excited when I heard they were bringing ponies back and I hunted them down and bough the first wave. I was hooked. I loved the body proportions, the ears and they eyes. I loved everything about them. Sure I missed the unicorns and pegasus ponies but these were much more like the G1 ponies with their unique ponies in each series(until the end, 3.5). G3 really makes up the bulk of my collection. I have almost every one, including many of the rares and proto types. I think the only thing I wish they had done that they didn't do was add unicorn and pegasus ponies sooner, more baby ponies and boys.

I really wish I had pictures of my collection to share in this thread. When I get them all out again I will share some pictures!
I would love to see some some pictures of the G3 ponies people most love. I LOVE seeing the hair styles people come up with and the photogenic qualities of G3.
~*Ponies for Sale*~
Sales Link - http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397254.0.htmll
G4 - Mint Ponies with Accessories and Backcards, Production Sample, Funko Chase, Blind bag, and Buildings

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2018, 10:19:08 PM »
I looove G3!

I do agree that there was a lack of unis and pegs :(
Also plenty of the ponies seem quite repetitive to me, with very similar colour schemes popping up multiple times.

But! Gosh they are gorgeous. I love the overall shape of them and there are some adorable poses, as well as fun gimmicks like the gradient legs and the collector art ponies...
Also I really love how detailed the eyes are in particular, with their multiple colours,and the tiny details like the hearts or stars in them!

Online Shaiyeh

• Trade Count: (+78)
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2018, 12:42:07 AM »
I also agree that it's sad we didn't see so much diversity with pony races. Imgaine how cute g3 seaponies would've been! But at least we did have a lot of different characters before they started the core7 :)

I meant to add a pic to my last post, but here it is now xD
petite petumia by shai b, on Flickr

and here's another favourite pony :lovey:

IMG_7222 by shai b, on Flickr

G3s are super photogenic IMO xD

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2018, 03:34:43 AM »
Haha xD she looks so pleased with herself, out in the snow in her gear and showing off xD <3. Is that the original Snow'el? I feel I have her somewhere.

I am expecting not to be able to afford the pegasus Snow'el, so like LAW, I guess she's probably off my list for now. Really pretty though.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2018, 04:52:55 AM »
I grew up with G1 and started collecting them again in my mid twenties and, of course, there's a huge amount of nostalgia when it comes to childhood stuff. But, it was also around that time that I realised Hasbro were still making and releasing MLP in the shops, and I began buying G3 ponies from Asda here in the UK. I still remember my excitement at seeing them all brand new and shiny  :lol:

So, I also have nostalgia for G3s because it seemed magical to me to be able to actually go into a store and buy MLP again MIB!  :)

I only got into G2 much later and although I have quite a decent collection of them, I have never developed an emotional attachment to them. I also have a huge collection of G4s but again, no nostaligic connection to them...So yeah, emotinally it's really G1 and G3 for me.

I don't really mind the lack of Unis and Pegs so much. To me, it makes the ones we *do* have way more special because they're so rare. I have Morning Monarch, Aurora Mist, Daisy May, Baby Honolu-loo, Silver Glow, Brights Brightly (agree with Taffeta - terrible name, lol!), Hidden Treasure, Sunrise Song (gorgeous!) and Whistle Wishes. I would love to get Coconut Grove and Royal Rose at some point as well...

My nitpick with G3 is with the number of pink ponies and the lack of imagination with regards to a lot of their symbols. For example Amberlocks, Sew-and-Sew and Savannah Sage all have very "something and nothing" symbols when compared with the symbols of say Shenanigans, Denim Blue and Island Rainbow. I feel as if many times the symbol does't do justice to the pony. I guess I just like bold designs...

What I am completely OBSESSED with are the Winter Series ponies!!!  :lovey: :lovey: :lovey: I have literally no idea why, but somehow they have just totally captured my imagination and I adore them. I have them all MIB and love nothing better than to line them all up and gaze lovingly at them. My absolute favourite is Snowflake with a close runner up being Velvet Bow (*love* her grey colour!)...  :biggrin:

I also love the charms that some G3s came with and the sheer variety of colours, poses and hair.

The only other issue I have (and some might say it's a good thing!) is the sheer number of the blighters! I don't have enough space (or money!) to collect all the ones I like (which are *many*) and I have a feeling I'll still be trying to collect them when I'm in my 70s!  :lol:

Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2018, 04:58:23 AM »
As much as I love the G2s, the G3s were really exciting when they came out because they were so reminiscent of G1s in a lot of ways. The lack of Pegasus and unicorns (especially unicorns) was really disappointing though. As was the lack of good storytelling, imo. There were brief glimpses of individual pony personalities in the cartoons, but overall they remind me of the bushwoolies in G1, going along with whatever the last person has suggested.

It was a frustrating gen to collect in Canada, as well. Not only did we not get most of the store exclusives, we would randomly miss out on whole waves of ponies - most of the unicorns did not come to Canada. It was hard to anticipate what would or wouldn't show up locally.

Elf

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal