Pony Talk > Pony Corral

Let's talk about G3s!

(1/22) > >>

Bebopgroove:
I had a few questions about the line that I'm just genuinely curious about, so I made a thread where we can discuss just random G3 stuff. I figured I could also do this with the other gens depending on where this goes (or someone else can do it too, I don't care).

This was the line I got into when I first started collecting, back in 2004 when the Butterfly Island series started hitting shelves (I think, or close to it). I had just gotten my childhood G1s out of storage, and also just got my drivers license (which really made all the difference because I could go out and pony-hunt to my heart's content, somewhat). Berry-Pickin Butterscotch ended up being my very first G3, followed by Strawberry Swirl (the one that came with the purse/bag/whatever it was).

However, one of my biggest gripes about this gen was the severe lack of pegasus and unicorns, as the G3 line is almost entirely all earth-ponies. If not for that nitpick, I would have considered the gen almost perfect alongside the G1s. Why did Hasbro limit the other species so greatly? Why were the pegasus only released in the handful, and the unicorns even less so? Did Hasbro believe that kids wouldn't like them? Was it a trend started by the G2s (which really didn't have any pegasus depending on how you look at it)?

Then of course, just as the G3 line was becoming diversified with types and gimmicks and species and babies making them almost comparable to G1s in charm - Hasbro ended it all with their push towards the Core 7 characters.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions, and stories!

Leave a Whisper:
I love G3s. They're my second favorite gen and what pulled me back into MLP. Beautiful and diverse. My first was a four pack of Star Dasher, Rainbowdash, Denim Blue and Sparkleworks.

My daughter was at the right age to get into it being a toddler at the time. Still has most of her ponies too.

I do agree about the lack of unicorns and other species. The G3 unicorns have less members then Breezies!

I wonder how many ponies in all there are? Not counting re-releases.

I don't know why Hasbro limits other species. Perhaps its easier and cheaper to produce regular ones?

I've always noticed this trend in fakies as well. There are always more regular ponies then pegasus,  unicorns, or flying unicorns.

In fact earth ponies take up the bulk of every gen. Never has another species outnumbered them.

Taffeta:
It's funny you raise this. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a really old archived Arena thread where people were criticising G3 for having repetitive symbols and being less creative than G1. This was pre-G4 and I looked at it and thought about how much people now say G3 was really creative compared to mane 6 and it's so interesting how perspective changes opinions.

I like G3. They are no G1, but they are probably my 2nd favourite generation. I certainly have more of them than I do G2 or G4 but they are also the only generation I have sold some of and not regretted losing them. I guess my collection is bigger than I intended but more in tune with the ones I like most rather than trying to have everything.

My first G3 was Rainbow Dash who I wanted to graduate with in 2003. I had one sent from the US - I think it was Silverfall, actually - but she didn't arrive. Then they appeared in the UK, in the TRU near where a friend lived, so she got me one. Dash and I graduated safely, Dash in gown and hat too :) Have photos somewhere. THe other Dash eventually arrived and I was told I should keep her, so I have. I still have her as well. I love that Rainbow Dash. I can't stand G4 Dash. Let's just leave it there.

My main bugbear with G3 was the disproportionate amount of US exclusives because of the stupid number of store exclusives that didn't travel. Target had lots and it was hit or miss if we got TRU ones - mostly not, I think. For a while we had seasons but then they came out in the US as wel, except Winter Snow who had her bad copy Crystal Crown (aka Crystal Clone) and that put paid to any hope of trading ponies from here for ponies from there. It got expensive, exhausting and frustrating to keep up. Around 2006ish I burned out and couldn't keep up with them any more.

It's taken till now for me to really appreciate them again. Ironically some of the exclusives, like the later breezies, I missed. But I like G3. I hate the end of G3, though, with the repetitive core 7. It went downhill from there in terms of originality and variety, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I like the pegasus ponies (not the ones with big weird wings though) and have hunted most of them down, although I think I sold Coconut Grove because her smell is horrible. Aside all the Sweetie Belles (from which spawned both Sweetie Belle G4 and Rarity G4), and the several Rarities, I can only think of Brights Brightly (worst name ever), and the blue unicorn whose name I can't remember. Oh, and Lily Lightly, who...erm...I am not really a fan :/ No unicorn babies was a shame. Could have done with more sooner. But love the Breezies. Very effective evolution from Flutter Ponies and wingers but different enough and more durable.

At least G3 pegasus ponies mostly had their wings attached (unless part of a costume). Unlike G2, which was always a negative for me with G2.

Leave a Whisper:

--- Quote from: Taffeta on February 18, 2018, 09:50:05 AM ---It's funny you raise this. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a really old archived Arena thread where people were criticising G3 for having repetitive symbols and being less creative than G1. This was pre-G4 and I looked at it and thought about how much people now say G3 was really creative compared to mane 6 and it's so interesting how perspective changes opinions.

I like G3. They are no G1, but they are probably my 2nd favourite generation. I certainly have more of them than I do G2 or G4 but they are also the only generation I have sold some of and not regretted losing them. I guess my collection is bigger than I intended but more in tune with the ones I like most rather than trying to have everything.

My first G3 was Rainbow Dash who I wanted to graduate with in 2003. I had one sent from the US - I think it was Silverfall, actually - but she didn't arrive. Then they appeared in the UK, in the TRU near where a friend lived, so she got me one. Dash and I graduated safely, Dash in gown and hat too :) Have photos somewhere. THe other Dash eventually arrived and I was told I should keep her, so I have. I still have her as well. I love that Rainbow Dash. I can't stand G4 Dash. Let's just leave it there.

My main bugbear with G3 was the disproportionate amount of US exclusives because of the stupid number of store exclusives that didn't travel. Target had lots and it was hit or miss if we got TRU ones - mostly not, I think. For a while we had seasons but then they came out in the US as wel, except Winter Snow who had her bad copy Crystal Crown (aka Crystal Clone) and that put paid to any hope of trading ponies from here for ponies from there. It got expensive, exhausting and frustrating to keep up. Around 2006ish I burned out and couldn't keep up with them any more.

It's taken till now for me to really appreciate them again. Ironically some of the exclusives, like the later breezies, I missed. But I like G3. I hate the end of G3, though, with the repetitive core 7. It went downhill from there in terms of originality and variety, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I like the pegasus ponies (not the ones with big weird wings though) and have hunted most of them down, although I think I sold Coconut Grove because her smell is horrible. Aside all the Sweetie Belles (from which spawned both Sweetie Belle G4 and Rarity G4), and the several Rarities, I can only think of Brights Brightly (worst name ever), and the blue unicorn whose name I can't remember. Oh, and Lily Lightly, who...erm...I am not really a fan :/ No unicorn babies was a shame. Could have done with more sooner. But love the Breezies. Very effective evolution from Flutter Ponies and wingers but different enough and more durable.

At least G3 pegasus ponies mostly had their wings attached (unless part of a costume). Unlike G2, which was always a negative for me with G2.

--- End quote ---

Which is strange. Even then I thought they were just as unique in G1, in color scheme and symbol. They did color schemes I'd never seen before.

Leave a Whisper:
There are 23 pegasus. Not counting the rereleases of Starcatcher and Starsong.

I love and plan to get most of them, barring Morning Monarch, Hidden Treasure, Baby Mochanut, Twilight Pink and Twirlerina.

Pearly Pie and Tiramisu are alright. 

On the fence about Starsong.

I have Star Catcher (Decorator)
Silver Glow
Aurora Mist
Royal Rose

Still need:
Baby Honolulu
Twinkle Bloom
Thistle Whistle
Island Delight
Windy Wisp
Coconut Grove
Cloud Climber
Daisy May

I doubt I'll ever get Star Flight, Heart Bright and Snow'El.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version