collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

G3s! Love 'em or hate 'em?

Love them! They're my favorite gen!
Love them!
They're alright
Meh
I'm swimming in them @_@

Author Topic: Let's talk about G3s!  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Bebopgroove

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Esoterous
Let's talk about G3s!
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
I had a few questions about the line that I'm just genuinely curious about, so I made a thread where we can discuss just random G3 stuff. I figured I could also do this with the other gens depending on where this goes (or someone else can do it too, I don't care).

This was the line I got into when I first started collecting, back in 2004 when the Butterfly Island series started hitting shelves (I think, or close to it). I had just gotten my childhood G1s out of storage, and also just got my drivers license (which really made all the difference because I could go out and pony-hunt to my heart's content, somewhat). Berry-Pickin Butterscotch ended up being my very first G3, followed by Strawberry Swirl (the one that came with the purse/bag/whatever it was).

However, one of my biggest gripes about this gen was the severe lack of pegasus and unicorns, as the G3 line is almost entirely all earth-ponies. If not for that nitpick, I would have considered the gen almost perfect alongside the G1s. Why did Hasbro limit the other species so greatly? Why were the pegasus only released in the handful, and the unicorns even less so? Did Hasbro believe that kids wouldn't like them? Was it a trend started by the G2s (which really didn't have any pegasus depending on how you look at it)?

Then of course, just as the G3 line was becoming diversified with types and gimmicks and species and babies making them almost comparable to G1s in charm - Hasbro ended it all with their push towards the Core 7 characters.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, opinions, and stories!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Wattpad | Flickr gallery (coming soon)
PSN: bebopgroove
Xbox: bebopgroove

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Let's talk about G3s!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:44:47 AM »
I love G3s. They're my second favorite gen and what pulled me back into MLP. Beautiful and diverse. My first was a four pack of Star Dasher, Rainbowdash, Denim Blue and Sparkleworks.

My daughter was at the right age to get into it being a toddler at the time. Still has most of her ponies too.

I do agree about the lack of unicorns and other species. The G3 unicorns have less members then Breezies!

I wonder how many ponies in all there are? Not counting re-releases.

I don't know why Hasbro limits other species. Perhaps its easier and cheaper to produce regular ones?

I've always noticed this trend in fakies as well. There are always more regular ponies then pegasus,  unicorns, or flying unicorns.

In fact earth ponies take up the bulk of every gen. Never has another species outnumbered them.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:03:50 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:50:05 AM »
It's funny you raise this. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a really old archived Arena thread where people were criticising G3 for having repetitive symbols and being less creative than G1. This was pre-G4 and I looked at it and thought about how much people now say G3 was really creative compared to mane 6 and it's so interesting how perspective changes opinions.

I like G3. They are no G1, but they are probably my 2nd favourite generation. I certainly have more of them than I do G2 or G4 but they are also the only generation I have sold some of and not regretted losing them. I guess my collection is bigger than I intended but more in tune with the ones I like most rather than trying to have everything.

My first G3 was Rainbow Dash who I wanted to graduate with in 2003. I had one sent from the US - I think it was Silverfall, actually - but she didn't arrive. Then they appeared in the UK, in the TRU near where a friend lived, so she got me one. Dash and I graduated safely, Dash in gown and hat too :) Have photos somewhere. THe other Dash eventually arrived and I was told I should keep her, so I have. I still have her as well. I love that Rainbow Dash. I can't stand G4 Dash. Let's just leave it there.

My main bugbear with G3 was the disproportionate amount of US exclusives because of the stupid number of store exclusives that didn't travel. Target had lots and it was hit or miss if we got TRU ones - mostly not, I think. For a while we had seasons but then they came out in the US as wel, except Winter Snow who had her bad copy Crystal Crown (aka Crystal Clone) and that put paid to any hope of trading ponies from here for ponies from there. It got expensive, exhausting and frustrating to keep up. Around 2006ish I burned out and couldn't keep up with them any more.

It's taken till now for me to really appreciate them again. Ironically some of the exclusives, like the later breezies, I missed. But I like G3. I hate the end of G3, though, with the repetitive core 7. It went downhill from there in terms of originality and variety, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I like the pegasus ponies (not the ones with big weird wings though) and have hunted most of them down, although I think I sold Coconut Grove because her smell is horrible. Aside all the Sweetie Belles (from which spawned both Sweetie Belle G4 and Rarity G4), and the several Rarities, I can only think of Brights Brightly (worst name ever), and the blue unicorn whose name I can't remember. Oh, and Lily Lightly, who...erm...I am not really a fan :/ No unicorn babies was a shame. Could have done with more sooner. But love the Breezies. Very effective evolution from Flutter Ponies and wingers but different enough and more durable.

At least G3 pegasus ponies mostly had their wings attached (unless part of a costume). Unlike G2, which was always a negative for me with G2.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 09:53:37 AM »
It's funny you raise this. A couple of days ago I stumbled onto a really old archived Arena thread where people were criticising G3 for having repetitive symbols and being less creative than G1. This was pre-G4 and I looked at it and thought about how much people now say G3 was really creative compared to mane 6 and it's so interesting how perspective changes opinions.

I like G3. They are no G1, but they are probably my 2nd favourite generation. I certainly have more of them than I do G2 or G4 but they are also the only generation I have sold some of and not regretted losing them. I guess my collection is bigger than I intended but more in tune with the ones I like most rather than trying to have everything.

My first G3 was Rainbow Dash who I wanted to graduate with in 2003. I had one sent from the US - I think it was Silverfall, actually - but she didn't arrive. Then they appeared in the UK, in the TRU near where a friend lived, so she got me one. Dash and I graduated safely, Dash in gown and hat too :) Have photos somewhere. THe other Dash eventually arrived and I was told I should keep her, so I have. I still have her as well. I love that Rainbow Dash. I can't stand G4 Dash. Let's just leave it there.

My main bugbear with G3 was the disproportionate amount of US exclusives because of the stupid number of store exclusives that didn't travel. Target had lots and it was hit or miss if we got TRU ones - mostly not, I think. For a while we had seasons but then they came out in the US as wel, except Winter Snow who had her bad copy Crystal Crown (aka Crystal Clone) and that put paid to any hope of trading ponies from here for ponies from there. It got expensive, exhausting and frustrating to keep up. Around 2006ish I burned out and couldn't keep up with them any more.

It's taken till now for me to really appreciate them again. Ironically some of the exclusives, like the later breezies, I missed. But I like G3. I hate the end of G3, though, with the repetitive core 7. It went downhill from there in terms of originality and variety, and I don't see it changing any time soon.

I like the pegasus ponies (not the ones with big weird wings though) and have hunted most of them down, although I think I sold Coconut Grove because her smell is horrible. Aside all the Sweetie Belles (from which spawned both Sweetie Belle G4 and Rarity G4), and the several Rarities, I can only think of Brights Brightly (worst name ever), and the blue unicorn whose name I can't remember. Oh, and Lily Lightly, who...erm...I am not really a fan :/ No unicorn babies was a shame. Could have done with more sooner. But love the Breezies. Very effective evolution from Flutter Ponies and wingers but different enough and more durable.

At least G3 pegasus ponies mostly had their wings attached (unless part of a costume). Unlike G2, which was always a negative for me with G2.

Which is strange. Even then I thought they were just as unique in G1, in color scheme and symbol. They did color schemes I'd never seen before.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:07:08 AM »
There are 23 pegasus. Not counting the rereleases of Starcatcher and Starsong.

I love and plan to get most of them, barring Morning Monarch, Hidden Treasure, Baby Mochanut, Twilight Pink and Twirlerina.

Pearly Pie and Tiramisu are alright. 

On the fence about Starsong.

I have Star Catcher (Decorator)
Silver Glow
Aurora Mist
Royal Rose

Still need:
Baby Honolulu
Twinkle Bloom
Thistle Whistle
Island Delight
Windy Wisp
Coconut Grove
Cloud Climber
Daisy May

I doubt I'll ever get Star Flight, Heart Bright and Snow'El.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:18:51 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:13:35 AM »
I'm a bit confused about how to think of them. I certainly don't like them as much as G1 and I find them a bit hard to separate from one another. This is probably due to the lack of fantasy elements involved that are prevalent in G1 and G4. I still buy them when I come across them, but I'm not really actively seeking any of them.
I wish I could grow more fond of them, as they were the first gen I started buying when I spread from collecting only G4 and started to grow interested in older gens.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »
I love G3s, right next to my G1s. I actually created a file with a list of all the ponies in G3, including variants that was originally on the mylittlewiki page. Since then my computer had died that had all the info and the link is broken on the wiki page, so maybe someday I will go through them all again and make a new list....

I love the way they look. Think they were great.

Did you know there was a variant of Ribbon wishes where her hair started with a blue instead of purple? A lot of people don't :)

elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 10:19:28 AM »
I love G3s, right next to my G1s. I actually created a file with a list of all the ponies in G3, including variants that was originally on the mylittlewiki page. Since then my computer had died that had all the info and the link is broken on the wiki page, so maybe someday I will go through them all again and make a new list....

I love the way they look. Think they were great.

Did you know there was a variant of Ribbon wishes where her hair started with a blue instead of purple? A lot of people don't :)

Gorgeous!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 10:33:55 AM »
I had Ribbon Wishes. I can't find a record of selling her. I can't find her. Hrm. I wonder what happened there.

I don't remember which version it was. It's true. I didn't know there was a variation xD.

I sold Coconut Grove and Island Delight. I don't really mind that I did but I guess I'm not going for pegasus completion. I love Twirlerina. She reminds me of Wind Whistler. And I picked up Windy Wisp at the toy fair. Don't remember seeing her in stores, she's very pretty.

Twilight Pink used to live on my desk at work. She's a sentimental special G3 to me - she and Shenanigans in the school outfit, who I also had on my desk there for a bit. My colleagues used to decorate Twilight Pink. At one point she had a small Welsh flag, a daisy hair adornment made of circular stickers and a learner driver plate. I feel like she and Windy Wisp are long lost buddies. They remind me of each other <3.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2018, 10:43:15 AM »
Yeah I ended up selling almost all my g3 ponies 3 years back. Needed the funds at the time, but doesn't mean I don't regret it. I still Have Tink-a-tink-a-too II MIB, Crystal Lace MIB, Starbeam MIB, the variant ribbon wishes, and the 2010 Comic Con pony MIB...

sigh...miss all my other ones...
elish22 | eBay

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2018, 10:45:55 AM »
Yeah I ended up selling almost all my g3 ponies 3 years back. Needed the funds at the time, but doesn't mean I don't regret it. I still Have Tink-a-tink-a-too II MIB, Crystal Lace MIB, Starbeam MIB, the variant ribbon wishes, and the 2010 Comic Con pony MIB...

sigh...miss all my other ones...

I had a panic moment where I thought I sold my MIB Daybreak as I couldn't find her. I ended up buying a loose one at the toy fair and then found the MIB one. But now I can't part with either. Her colours are so perfect.

I don't think I regret the ones I sold. I'm not sure even which ones I did, but mostly they were gem ones. Gem Blossom...etc...and scented ones. Which I have now ruined by accidentally buying Island Paradise at the toy fair...or whatever her name is. She's quarantined at the moment, but it's too late. The loose G3 in my room already smell ><

Edit to add: apparently according to my email I tried to sell Ribbon Wishes. Several times. But didn't succeed. So unless she went to a carboot sale, which she might have, she ought to be here...Oh well. I have had G3 ponies coming out of all weird places lately, so who knows.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 10:48:36 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »
G3 is actually my least favorite gen :blush: I don't like the poses, colors, shimmery bodies, cutesy cutie marks, and general asthetic. They just aren't my style I guess, but I don't hate them! Although, Starsong, which is one of my favorite ponies ever, is a G3, so... I did have G3s as a kid though, so they will always be my childhood gen :)

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Mlp Sunsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Sparkles are great, but Sunsparkles are better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 10:57:31 AM »
The Ribbon Wishes variant is so beautiful! I hope that one day I’ll get her

G3 is my favourite generation. Design and ponywise, it’s level with g1, but it’s the gen I grew up with, which is why I think I like it more :) Also, Baby Pink Sunsparkle is a g3  :biggrin:

The only thing I’m not happy with is all the USA exclusives, I have over 100 of those missing vs under 30 regular ones! I wish they at least made the unis and pegs in the episodes, their designs were so pretty!

I’ll share my story of loving g3 below (it could be a lot of rambling, just a heads up)
When g3 started, I was 2! (No Pink Sunsparkle for me ;() I got 3 ponies when I was very little, all on different years : Periwinkle, Magic Marigold and Wind Drifter. I had fakies too. I loved styling their hair the most, but I was never that into them.

Fast forward to about 9 years old:
I discovered the internet and decided to try and find the names of my ponies, just for fun. I wasn’t very good at searching, and I couldn’t find their names lol! Then the next day I found strawberry reef. I saw the crazy amount of g3s and jokingly said that I wanted them all! Four that stood out to me were - kimono, water fire, ribbon wishes and wondermint. From then on I don’t remember much, just that I stalked the forums every day, until I was finally old enough to join. The show and tell section was my favourite!

Speaking now, I’m pleased to say I have my four dream ponies and have quite the herd! All gens, but mainly g1 and g3. I have built it through car boot sales, friends, and more recently, ponycon.
(I apologise for that ramble)
Mlp Sunsparkle x

Sig made by: Sapphire Rain
Instagram: mlp_sunsparkle

Offline elish2

• As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 11:02:09 AM »
Looking at my old pictures lol. Oh here is one I miss...I took so much time hunting for variants and others....

The aqua hair variant for the 2010 Comic con pony...
elish22 | eBay

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
I am glad that with G4 Hasbro have got their act together with the exclusives and having other stores in other countries taking them. With G3 it was really demoralising how much more money had to be outlaid to get the same ponies here once shipping and import duty had been taken into consideration.

I dunno which US ones I'm missing because I haven't tried to get them all, and I'm grateful to have had a good US friend who helped me with a lot until I burned out...but the whole thing turned me off G3. If Hasbro didn't think we mattered, then why spend 3x the amount of money on their toys...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal